After years of running a pretty tight ship with Ad Aware and Trend Micro Internet Security on my 5 computer home network, I am having the exact same trouble with Ad Aware on 1 computer for the last 3 days.
Same bogus stats, etc as detailed in the first posting here.
When Ad Aware stops progressing, the task manager shows zero CPU usage for Ad Aware.
I have tried the posted suggestions for similar problems that have been detailed in other posts.
Whatever minor items I have found during the past 3 days of scanning has been deleted and now Scans are clean from Trend Internet Security on anti virus and spyware detection; Lavasoft virtumonde, and Look2me.
Spy- search and destroy was installed, run (no results) and uninstalled.
Still no help when I run AA.
I have tried to use a protected version of Ad Aware by loading a complete AA program on a USB stick and setting defs and program files to "read only". All to no avail. It still runs slow and then stops.
Hitting cancel twice will bring it back to the start screen.
I have tried running it in custom scan on just hard drive files, avoiding memory and registry but the results are the same- somewhere in mid-scan it stops. When this happens there is no indication of spyware files found during the early part of the scan.
Early on in this process 3 days ago I uninstalled AA, ran chkdsk, defrag, re-installed AA.
This seems to be a challenge................I know something is there somewhere...........