Well, for those with XP, see my note several places up. I did not put core.aawdef in the search line because it came up when I put the rest of the address in the search line. I deleted the core.aawdef, then couldn't start the scan... waited a bit, like someone else suggested, now it's running and I think everything is okay. I have adaware 2008. This is the first time a forum answered my problem so I'm satisfied that what was suggested by lavasoft and what I did worked. Adios!
The def file does exist. The easiest way to find it is to search by right clicking start and then copy the file name in the "address" box. However, I'm having the same scan problem someone else had... the scan won't start. I have XP and will tryagain now that it's been a few hours.