thank you for the prompt response.
I think I might have double replied-age has its privileges.
1) Yes, I have the Windows firewall (XP pro, SP3) installed.
I added Ad-Aware as an exception in the Programs & Services 5 mins. ago and still get the same error when trying the update button.
2) I don't think so. I've never set one up and don't know how to check this. Apart from the recent change to allow Ad-Aware as an exception I have ade no system changes at all.
If I select Ad-Watch button, settings, updates, Proxy Settings,
an Update Manager widow opens with with the 'Enable proxy' box unticked and 'Proxy Server', 'Username' & 'Password fields' all blank.
3) I had version 8.1.4 running this morning before updating to 8.2.0, and there was never any problem
The 8.2 update removed the old version before installing itself, so it doesn't look like I can go back to the previous version.
The previous version updated itself fairly regularly without any problems.
Getting even more worried,
[quote name='casey_boy' post='117326' date='Feb 25 2010, 06:01 PM']Hi,
Just before I submit a report to Lavasoft, could you just check the following
Just a few things to check first:
* Do you have a firewall installed, if so, make sure Ad-Aware is allowed to connect to the internet.
* Do you connect to the internet via proxy settings, if so ensure these are set within Ad-Aware.
* Did you have previous versions of Ad-Aware installed, and if so, could they connect?