Has anyone here experienced problems with getting Ad-Aware to run again once they've installed Visual Studio Express 2010?
Today I uninstalled Visual Studio Express 2008 (I removed any software with Visual C++/Visual Basic/Visual Web/SQL Server/Visual C# in its name, *excluding* the redistributables) and proceeded to install the new Visual Studio Express 2010 release. Upon rebooting, Ad-Aware 8.2 no longer loads. Prior to this, it'd ran like a charm.
I get the same error message as many: "Ad-Aware was shut down unexpectedly and has generated an error report." This message appears 3-4 times in rapid succession upon logging in as an admin or a non-admin user. This error seems to differ from the ones that other people in the forum were getting, which happened during scanning. I've uninstalled/reinstalled the latest Ad-Aware version from CNet and despite the software being able to successfully update itself during installation (pre-rebooting), the program is unable to run upon reboot. I was thinking I'd maybe coincidentally run across some malware that was preventing Ad-Aware from loading, but scans via AVG, Windows Defender, and Spybot Search and Destroy turn up negative. Installing 8.1 yields the same results.
I couldn't find any sort of error log, but looking at the Windows event viewer, the error that come up involves a failed assertion statement in a .cpp file where it's expecting a month between 1 and 12. I've tried reinstalling various VC++ 2005/2008 redistributables in the hopes that they'd somehow automagically repair whatever Ad-Aware is trying to do underneath the hood that's broken, but otherwise I'm at a loss as to what to do. Any ideas?
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
20+ gigs of hard drive space left on the C: drive
8 gigs of RAM
AVG/Windows Defender are resident/active. I use Spybot Search and Destroy as well for periodic scans, but as far as I know, it doesn't stay resident in memory.
Edit: Here's some additional information about what appears in the event log whether I'm running 8.1 or 8.2:
Source: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service
Event ID: 0
Task Category: None
The description for Event ID 0 from source Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
The following information was included with the event:
Assertion failed: (month > 0 && month < 13) in .\SettingTime.cpp:49