Yesterday I downloaded and installed the free 9.6 version. When trying to update the signature files, several small files got updated very quickly (I have a 20Mbps cable connection), but then a larger file (about 75MB) slows to a crawl and ultimately crashes before getting halfway completed. After trying several times to download this file, I have been unable to complete the update.
I should add, when I originally tried downloading the Ver 9.6 software from Lavasoft, the download was incredibly slow. I ended up cancelling and downloading from one of the alternate download sites - I think I got it from Download.com.
The software appears to be working OK otherwise.