Sign in to follow this  
bobberles

Still Trying To Register

Ad-Aware's Not Aware!

Last Saturday I downloaded and installed Ad-Aware 2007 Pro. Will I ever get it to work? Will they ever respond to my pleas for help? Or the identical pleas of many others?

Here's some of the error messages we get:

"An error occurred

Event: SSL download failed

Suggested action: Run WebUpdate"

(That's exactly what I was trying to do.)

"Program error

AdWatch 2007.ex.exe has generated and will be closed by Windows.

You will need to restart the program.

An error log is being created."

(Where the hell is it?)

I tried to uninstall/reinstall. Went to Add/Remove Programs; midway in the UNinstall it gave me this:

"Please wait while Windows configures Ad-Aware 2007."

followed by:

"Error 1306: Another application has exclusive access to the file: C:\ ... \CoreEngineCommunicationsLog.log

Please shut down all other applications, then click Reply."

I tried JV16 to do the uninstall; Whiz-Bang! Ah, I thought, here we go! Not so!! Got this one:

"Cannot delete CEAPI.dll"

So I relied on DOS (in my Win2K Pro machine), went in and finished deleting everything connected to Ad-Aware, and started reinstalling. AAW (I'm getting tired of typing Ad-Aware) told me I was in Repair, not Install. Then it said:

"AAW ... successfully installed!"

And it immediately looped to:

"An error occurred ... Run Web Update"

Late at night, I finally got a response that looked promising; AAW Service downloaded and completed. That was followed by:

"An error has occurred in Ad-Aware 2007 Pro

Component: TFormAAW (Gee, I guess they're getting tired of all those error messages, too!)

Message: Access violation at address 005430A4 in module 'Ad-Aware2007.exe'. Read of address 00000294.

Send this information to Lavasoft Support Team (HTTPS:// ...)and also what you just did to help us track down this error. Ad-Aware now terminates."

And so did I.

I went to the AAW General Support forum, found the first post was a guy ready to demand his money back, and replied to him that if he paid with a credit card he could contact them to put a freeze on that payment, and went to bed.

This morning, I got up, fired up the machine (no broadband here), opened Outlook Express, and then Windows Secrets newsletter. Immediately, I got this bit of news:

"AdWatch 2007.ex.exe has generated and will be closed by Windows.

You will need to restart the program.

An error log is being created."

Gee, that looked familiar! I think I'll call MasterCard.

Good luck, all you others who paid for a beta! Maybe someday ...

Bob Berles

Every day I try again to register my Ad-Aware 2007 Pro. I enter, key by key, the numbers given to me in the email. I DO NOT copy and paste! I DO NOT enter into the unlock key box!! I follow the rules given to me in one of the four emails that came flooding into my computer! I very carefully tap the keys, making sure as to the case of the letters, even have my wife looking over my shoulder to ensure that I make no errors.

And what do I get? I get:

"The serial key you entered appears invalid."

What does this mean? Does it mean that the serial key that I entered is really valid, but only appears to be invalid? Is this some kind of game we're playing, like hopscotch? Or is this a test of my endurance? My patience? My sanity?

Does anyone in Lavasoft have an answer to that? Is there anyone IN Lavasoft?

Every day I try again to register my Ad-Aware 2007 Pro. I enter, key by key, the numbers given to me in the email. I DO NOT copy and paste! I DO NOT enter into the unlock key box!! I follow the rules given to me in one of the four emails that came flooding into my computer! I very carefully tap the keys, making sure as to the case of the letters, even have my wife looking over my shoulder to ensure that I make no errors.

What does this mean? Does it mean that the serial key that I entered is really valid, but only appears to be invalid? Is this some kind of game we're playing, like hopscotch? Or is this a test of my endurance? My patience? My sanity?

Hi bobberles,

PM me with the e-mail you registered with and your order number and I'll see what I can do.

I'll post the progress here later in a sticky post so other users can benefit from the troubleshooting as well.

Really sorry for the inconvenience.

- Mattias

Invoice for order # 131413925 dated 10-JUN-2007

I have the exact same issue .... and I have emailed support and talked to 5th element... they said they send email to get codes fixed as well no response.....

:)

Hi bobberles,

PM me with the e-mail you registered with and your order number and I'll see what I can do.

I'll post the progress here later in a sticky post so other users can benefit from the troubleshooting as well.

Really sorry for the inconvenience.

- Mattias

UM, being an old geezer unacquainted with things like "PM me" I hope I'm doing the right thing. (My wife has stepped out for a while, so I'm sneaking this out to you.) I assume you don't need the INSTALLATION and REGISTRATION sections. Here's the rest:

070610-Welcome to the Lavasoft network for computer security!.eml

Below is the serial registration number(s) required to activate your Ad-Aware 2007 anti-spyware software:

Ad-Aware 2007 Professional - Including 1 year license: [sERIAL REMOVED BY ADMIN]

* Type your serial number into the serial number input field (NOT the unlock key box). More instructions can be found below. Please do not copy and paste the serial number. As a security measure, it must be typed in to activate the product.

Please keep this serial number in a safe place for future reference.

Use this serial number to register your Ad-Aware 2007 product and access the real-time protection and advanced features necessary to combat the constant threat of malware against your computer and personal privacy.

For customer support, please contact our team of experts at [email protected]

UM, being an old geezer unacquainted with things like "PM me" I hope I'm doing the right thing. (My wife has stepped out for a while, so I'm sneaking this out to you.) I assume you don't need the INSTALLATION and REGISTRATION sections. Here's the rest:

070610-Welcome to the Lavasoft network for computer security!.eml

Below is the serial registration number(s) required to activate your Ad-Aware 2007 anti-spyware software:

Ad-Aware 2007 Professional - Including 1 year license: [sERIAL REMOVED BY ADMIN]

* Type your serial number into the serial number input field (NOT the unlock key box). More instructions can be found below. Please do not copy and paste the serial number. As a security measure, it must be typed in to activate the product.

Please keep this serial number in a safe place for future reference.

Use this serial number to register your Ad-Aware 2007 product and access the real-time protection and advanced features necessary to combat the constant threat of malware against your computer and personal privacy.

For customer support, please contact our team of experts at [email protected]

Hi bobberles and others,

I removed the serial from your post above. Please do not post your serial publicly, it is what allows you to register your licensed product and should kept safe and secure. Each serial will only activate on a single computer so do not share your serial with anyone else.

To send me a PM (personal message, very similar to an e-mail), click my username to left of this post and select "Send message" from the menu that pops up. This will ensure that only I will see your sensitive information. A note with the e-mail address you used to register will do just fine.

- Mattias

Invoice for order # 131413925 dated 10-JUN-2007

I have the exact same issue .... and I have emailed support and talked to 5th element... they said they send email to get codes fixed as well no response.....

:)

Hi tron4444,

I see that you have bought several different licenses in that purchase. Do any of your received serials work?

- Mattias

Hi bobberles and others,

I removed the serial from your post above. Please do not post your serial publicly, it is what allows you to register your licensed product and should kept safe and secure. Each serial will only activate on a single computer so do not share your serial with anyone else.

To send me a PM (personal message, very similar to an e-mail), click my username to left of this post and select "Send message" from the menu that pops up. This will ensure that only I will see your sensitive information. A note with the e-mail address you used to register will do just fine.

- Mattias

Hi Mattias,

Sorry about the goofup on the serial. I know better, just forgot. I received an email for registering; thank you for that. Now I have been called away for a few days and won't have any time to work on this, but I will return.

Best regards, Bob Berles

Hi tron4444,

I see that you have bought several different licenses in that purchase. Do any of your received serials work?

- Mattias

Hi Mattias,

Home early. Got your email, tried activating, no joy. Tried next page, using User ID and Validation Key, still no joy.

And my System Protection Status is still: Real-Time Protection: Off

And My License Status Type is: Free Edition

And the update that I managed to download ended with a message: Access violation at address 005430A4 ... and on and on ...

And THAT was followed by: Update Completed! You now have the latest version of Ad-Aware 2007.

Like hell I do! The one I got is primordial!

Why don't we start all over again. You send my money back and I'll send you the miserable abortion that I hoped would be a fine piece of software.

Bob Berles

Following is a copy of an email from one of the "support" people. I hope SOMEONE can answer it.

=====

I would be absolutely ecstatic if only things worked that way. But you folks always have the simple answers that simply ... DON'T WORK!

Going into the THIRD WEEK now, trying to get my Ad-Aware PRO EDITION to act like a PRO EDITION SHOULD WORK, when I "...simply click on the Ad-Watch icon on (my) desktop." I get THIS RESPONSE:

"Not available in Free Edition!

Ad-Watch is only available in Ad-Aware Plus & Pro Edition!"

No other "support" person that I have heard from has been able to tell me how to magically make my PRO EDITION act like a PRO EDITION!

Dear Jeff, are you the only one who can help me make my PRO EDITION act like a PRO EDITION? Please say YES!

----- Original Message -----

To: [email protected]************

Sent: Monday, June 18, 2007 7:06 AM

Subject: Re: Technical Inquiry: real-time protection

> Thank you for your email

>

> Real time protection is provided by the Ad-Watch part of the software, in order to enable it, simply click on the Ad-Watch icon on your desktop.

>

> Regards,

> Jeff - Lavasoft Support

>

> [email protected]************

> > Subject: real-time protection

> > Program: Ad-Aware 2007 Pro

> > Version:

> >

> > Description

> > ---------------------------------------------------------------

> > How do I set up Real-time protection? I have a big red X on the button and I can find NO MENTION of it anywhere in the \"manual\".

Hello,

Have you registered your pro edition with the register button,?

Does it say pro at the bottom right of status screen?

If the answer to both these questions is yes

then my guess would be to uninstall it and then reinstall it

and hope that things work out this time.

Pete.

Hello,

Have you registered your pro edition with the register button,?

Does it say pro at the bottom right of status screen?

If the answer to both these questions is yes

then my guess would be to uninstall it and then reinstall it

and hope that things work out this time.

Pete.

Hi Pete,

The inability to register my PAID FOR PRO EDITION was the start of this ridiculous comedy. Please see my previous posts.

I have tried, literally, over a dozen times to register my PRO EDITION that I have PAID FOR and for which I have received a second confirmation email TODAY from Element 5! (Are they having problems, too? Who needs a second confirmation?)

Every attempt at registration results in the message: "The serial key you entered appears invalid." Note that it only 'appears' to be invalid, like that's only a little glitch, not a real problem. One of the Support crew sent me an email trying a completely different attack, but everything he suggested took me down a blind alley, even the attempt at a different serial key! (See other posts.)

At present it does not say PRO in the lower right; it says FREE. I am almost positive that it started with PRO there but that was a long time ago, and maybe it was only a sadistic nightmare. If that IS true, it got lost in the reinstall I made last week, or the one after that, or the next, and I think there was a fourth.

Even the first uninstall could not be made like all of the uninstalls I have made over the years. It just refused to let go of some DLLs, just like any decent malware fights. I had to use good old DOS (yes, in Win2KPro!) to delete them, and that may be where I lost the PRO and went to FREE.

Well, the mailman just delivered the Ad-Aware CD, for which I ALSO PAID; just like I PAID FOR THE PRO, which nobody seems to know how to fix. Here's hoping. Thanks for the concern.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Please see this Topic for assistance with registering your product (in particular, the advice from LS MattiasL): Cannot Register Ad-aware 2007 Pro

Regards,

Spike

Hi Spike,

Thanks for the concern; I appreciate your help. And I appreciate the help that others have given, but my head was too dense to accept it.

I am very embarrassed and I hate to say this, but - I really screwed up this one! I'm going to leave out all the stupid things I did following the most stupid thing; the pain is too great. I'll just confess to that one:

When I went to enter the license information, I looked at "Select license type:" and accepted that as correct, then went on to entering the serial number. And I did that many, many times over the next few days, until I finally had the sense to do what I should have done at the very beginning: Read before Post! I found AnClar's 16 Jun post and saw that I was doing exactly the same thing.

I wish I could delete all the posts that make me look like such an idiot. But if I could, I would leave this one to help others.

Thanks, Spike. And thanks to all the others whose help I rejected because I was such a Dummkopf.

Bob

I am running Ad-Aware 2007 Pro in Windows 2000 Pro with IE6 and all updates installed for all software, 768 MB RAM, 80 GB HDD

After installing Ad-Aware yesterday, everything seemed to be running OK. But today, when I boot up, after the boot ends and I launch IE6, the Ad-Watch tray icon starts flashing. When IE6 finishes loading, this message displays:

========================================================

AdWatch2007.Ex.Exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created.

When I click that message away, the Ad-Watch icon in the tray usually disappears, or it may linger there until I move the cursor over the icon and then it disappears, without my clicking on it. If I restart Ad-Watch, it usually repeats the closing but sometimes not.

I have searched for the "error log" but haven't been able to find it. I did find, in:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\logs

these two logs: 'AWProcessesLog.log' and 'CoreEngineCommunicationLog.log' but neither seems to have anything to say about the error. They were created at the time the error appeared.

Two other log files, created in the same time frame, are 'Ad-Watch Connect Logfile.xml' and 'Ad-Watch RegShield Logfile.xml'

Both files say exactly the same thing:

The XML page cannot be displayed

Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh <java script:location.reload()> button, or try again later.

Switch from current encoding to specified encoding not supported. Error processing resource 'file:///C:/Documents and Setti...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?><ROOT>

---------------------------------------^

As I go through my work online the quality gradually declines. For example, everything slows down; or switching from one page to another may leave remnants of the first page behind; or I may not be able to close out a page; or in the blue line at the very top of the screen text piles up in layers.

Eventually, I get a message that says:

Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

And just now I got this cute one:

Something bad happened in the application. Error diagnostic file saved to

C:\Documents and Settings\Bob Berles\Application Data\AVG7\avgcc.err ========================================================

I went there and found that file with size = 0 kb but I couldn't read it because I got the 'Insufficient resources' message again.

So I reboot. I could not select Restart in the 'Shut down Windows' box; I had no choice, so I manually restarted.

And as Windows is shutting down, 'Saving Settings' takes an extremely long time, one minute instead of the usual two or three seconds.

When I was running again, I went to the avgcc.err file and found that it was indeed empty.

Does anyone know what is going on here?

Bob

I'm running IE7, but I'm guessing that you have the box clicked in Ad-Aware to integrate with Internet Explorer. I've never been brave enough to do that. I did go through the log files and had the same experience you had with not being able to read the XML files. Moreover, I can't find out how to empty the Ad-Watch log file anywere.

I was a beta tester, and was astonished when they said they were going live based on what I was experiencing in beta. THis is a product that definitely wasn't ready for prime time!

I'm running IE7, but I'm guessing that you have the box clicked in Ad-Aware to integrate with Internet Explorer. I've never been brave enough to do that. I did go through the log files and had the same experience you had with not being able to read the XML files. Moreover, I can't find out how to empty the Ad-Watch log file anywere.

I was a beta tester, and was astonished when they said they were going live based on what I was experiencing in beta. THis is a product that definitely wasn't ready for prime time!

Thanks for responding, BillD.

Here's the DrWatson that coincides with this morning's "AdWatch2007.Ex.Exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows" error message. This is, of course, only the first few lines! If anyone can decode the whole thing, I will be happy to send it out.

There is another event beneath DrW, but I don't know what it coincides with. I didn't think about using Event Viewer last night, and this event has not occurred this morning, so I can't tie it in with anything. When I see it again I will do that.

Bob

==========================================

Event

Date: 6/20/2007

Time: 5:00

Type: Information

Source: DrWatson

Category: None

Event ID: 4097

Description:

The application, , generated an application error The error occurred on 06/20/2007 @ 05:00:09.734 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 0EB3CD8F (<nosymbols>)

0000: 0d 0a 0d 0a 41 70 70 6c ....Appl

0008: 69 63 61 74 69 6f 6e 20 ication

0010: 65 78 63 65 70 74 69 6f exceptio

0018: 6e 20 6f 63 63 75 72 72 n occurr

0020: 65 64 3a 0d 0a 20 20 20 ed:..

0028: 20 20 20 20 20 41 70 70 App

0030: 3a 20 20 28 70 69 64 3d : (pid=

0038: 31 32 35 36 29 0d 0a 20 1256)..

0040: 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 57 W

0048: 68 65 6e 3a 20 36 2f 32 hen: 6/2

0050: 30 2f 32 30 30 37 20 40 0/2007 @

0058: 20 30 35 3a 30 30 3a 30 05:00:0

0060: 39 2e 37 33 34 0d 0a 20 9.734..

0068: 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 45 E

0070: 78 63 65 70 74 69 6f 6e xception

0078: 20 6e 75 6d 62 65 72 3a number:

0080: 20 63 30 30 30 30 30 30 c000000

0088: 35 20 28 61 63 63 65 73 5 (acces

0090: 73 20 76 69 6f 6c 61 74 s violat

0098: 69 6f 6e 29 0d 0a 0d 0a ion)....

00a0: 2a 2d 2d 2d 2d 3e 20 53 *----> S

00a8: 79 73 74 65 6d 20 49 6e ystem In

00b0: 66 6f 72 6d 61 74 69 6f formatio

00b8: 6e 20 3c 2d 2d 2d 2d 2a n <----*

00c0: 0d 0a 20 20 20 20 20 20 ..

Event

Date: 6/19/2007

Time: 22:17

Type: Error

Source: Userenv

Category: None

Event ID: 1000

Description:

Windows cannot unload your registry file. If you have a roaming profile, your settings are not replicated. Contact your administrator.

DETAIL - Access is denied. , Build number ((2195)).

Whoa, I wonder if Mike Lin's Startup Monitor could be causing this. I shouldn't need that now. I'll check it when I get back from town.

Bob

Hi Bob,

As you saw in AnClar's post, I did exactly the same thing a few times until I selected the correct version/license period from the drop-down menu - very easy to do, as it is a new registration system.

No need to feel embarrassed - I'm just glad that you have sorted it out :)

Regards,

Spike

Hi Bob,

As you saw in AnClar's post, I did exactly the same thing a few times until I selected the correct version/license period from the drop-down menu - very easy to do, as it is a new registration system.

No need to feel embarrassed - I'm just glad that you have sorted it out :angry:

Regards,

Spike

Hi Spike,

Thanks for the kind words, but I should have left well enough alone. Now I have opened a Pandora's box. I have disabled Ad-Aware and Ad-Watch, ordered AVG Anti-Malware, and will say goodbye to everything LavaSoft. There is more to say than I feel like spending the time on, but you can get the gist of it by going to my post "Ad-Watch causes Program Error Message."

There is a LOT more happened since I posted that, but I've spent way too much time trying to get volunteers to correct LavaSoft's programmer's mistakes. Just one more thing to mention, the straw that broke the camel's back, was that I could operate only an hour or so and then started slowing down, locking up, spitting out error messages I've never heard of, PILES of pages atop one another ... To hell with it!

Since I disabled Ad-Watch my Win2K is hummimg along again like it has for years.

Best regards,

Bob

Sign in to follow this