Sign in to follow this  
sbushman

Ad Watch And Adaware Don't Do Anything!

I bought two licenses (one for me and one for my dad) and both of us are experiencing the same thing. Nothing is ever found, nothing is ever blocked. Programs have access to the registry as if no adwatch is running. What does this new version actually do? Even running a full scan nothing is ever found aside from a couple of MRU entries. the old version always found something, and effortlessly intercepted any registry addition until I gave the access okay.

Did I not install something right. Adwatch is loading, blinking and counting...but nothing else. It is not preventing ANYTHING from happening. The blinking icon and shutdown nag screen have been addressed by the devlopers and will be fixed, but what about the program actually doing something?

If I decide to revert back to the old version for now can I get credited for my full year license starting when the program actually works? I am using XP Pro. My Dad is using XP home.

Well, i did a system scan and found nothing. tried updating my Phase One software again and it didn't catch the registry entry for Phase One taskbar icon like it normally did in the old version. This confirms for me that the 2007 version actually does nothing.

I uninstalled and went back to AdAware SE. A scan revealed 29 critical objects and 32 non critical objects. I removed them successfully. Updated Phase one and was promted whether or not to add the sub program to the registry as expected. I will stick with the old version for now, and it's lame CPU munching and occasional shutdown error.

The new version doesn't work at al. I hope Lavasoft will either refund me for both purchases, or at least restart my subscription when I decide the program works well enough to trust it again. Luckily I don't seem to have suffered any corrupted files or worse a corrupted OS like some unlucky folks did.

I hate to say it, but at this juncture it seems Lavasoft could learn a lot from Symantec (which has more issues than should be allowed themselves)!

Lavasoft...where are you on an answer to this. I have the same problem. These programs are apparently doing nothing even with the TAI level set to zero.

I am concerned too - all my Ad-watch does is blink, and blink, but never asks me whether I want to block anything (like SE did). It keeps letting the registry be changed. I have a CD burning software that always tried to change my registry when I opened it and I blocked it every time with Ad-Watch SE. The first time I opened it with Ad-Watch 2007 Pro running, it allowed the registry change!

In the Ad-Watch settings, I have the following checked on

-Restore window on new events

-notifications on detection only

In the Status Real Time Protection, I have RegShield ON, Processes ON (which by the way, says I have no, ZERO processes running.)

I'm Not Sure that anybody at lavasoft cares I was considering purchasing the product but seeing the poor response times and support I'm not sure this is the best Idea!!!!

Lavasoft...where are you on an answer to this. I have the same problem. These programs are apparently doing nothing even with the TAI level set to zero.

I don't know about ad watch, I have the free version but you are all correct; aaware is finding nothing at all. I do get an occasional MRU detected, but that's it. Lavasoft told me it was related to an issue with the IE browser and they were "working on it." But that was almost 12 days ago and still nothing. Assuming they are in fact trying, evidently they are having trouble finding the problem... Like many others have, I will have to bail soon.

I was a beta tester, and ad-Aware 2007 hardly ever found anything, unlike ad-Aware SE. However, I chalked that up to being more discriminating because most of the time the stuff SE found was harmless. Ad-Aware 2007 did find one problem so far for me, and did quarantine it, which I later deleted. As for ad-Watch, at one point in the beta cycle, it was asking permission (for everything!) If you look at the logs, you can see that you would have no time to get any work done on your computer if it continued to act that way. You'd be constantly responding to change requests (just today I've had 661, no 662, no 664....). So, after a while during beta, I had RegShield turned off. Somewhere in the beta period, they must have changed ad-Watch to work (or not work) the way it does now. The real question is when we will get an ad-Watch (RegShield) that just protects the sensitive parts of the registry and only logs attempts to change those sensitive parts (AND ASKS PERMISSION WHEN THE CHANGES ARE GOING TO BE MADE!)

Edited by BillD

I am having the same issues. It is frustrating because AdAware SE was such a great product. I used several antispyware programs (AVG AntiSpyware, Spybot and Counterspy), but AdAware SE always found the most infections. Now the others are still removing 20 or so a day, but AdAware 2007 has found nothing since 6/12 and has only removed 4 infections since I bought it on 6/6. I knew that Lavasoft had run AdAware 2007 as a beta for a while and was wondering why in the heck this issue didn't come up then. It's interesting to hear a beta user say it was happening during the testing phase. Hard to figure why Lavasoft proceeded with the launch.

I have always used the paid versions of AdAware because I don't mind supporting a good product, but I am definitely not getting my money's worth yet on this one. I hope these problems will be resolved soon.

Interesting. The new update cleared today's log of registry changes, but none of the previous days. Anyway, Ad-Watch is off and counting again. If Lavasoft is listening, I'd like a way to clear log entries by day. I could keep a week or so if I'd like and delete the rest.

The ability to tell Lavasoft what in the registry you want to be blocked is nice, but a little over the heads of most people, including me. Maybe giving us a fully populated list and letting us turn off ones we find harmless might be a better approach. Better yet, be a little more discriminating in wht is harmful and what is not when you acutally get around to blocking registry changes.

Interesting. The new update cleared today's log of registry changes, but none of the previous days. Anyway, Ad-Watch is off and counting again. If Lavasoft is listening, I'd like a way to clear log entries by day. I could keep a week or so if I'd like and delete the rest.

We'll take this under consideration.

The ability to tell Lavasoft what in the registry you want to be blocked is nice, but a little over the heads of most people, including me. Maybe giving us a fully populated list and letting us turn off ones we find harmless might be a better approach. Better yet, be a little more discriminating in wht is harmful and what is not when you acutally get around to blocking registry changes.

With the 'User List' introduced in yesterday's update you are able to approve or deny registry changes on an application basis - e.g. you can allow all registry changes made by Internet Explorer.

Also worth noting is that any application that is classified as malware in the Detection Database is automatically blocked from starting on your computer (provided that Ad-Watch Processes is running) which effectively stops it from making changes to the registry.

Regards, Tobias

Sign in to follow this