• Announcements

• LS.Andy

Support for other products than adaware, ad block, web protection and Web Companion   05/05/2017

Support for the following products is handled by the Lavasoft support team: Lavasoft Tuneup Kit Lavasoft PC Optimizer Lavasoft Driver Updater Lavasoft Registry Tuner Lavasoft Privacy Toolbox Lavasoft File Shredder Lavasoft Digital Lock

For help with these products, contact the support team here: http://www.lavasoft.com/support/supportcenter/

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
franktaplin

Error 1720 When Trying To Uninstall Ad Aware 2007

4 posts in this topic

Iwas trying to uninstall Ad Aware 2007 and I received this error.

Error 1720: There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A script required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

I looked at the other posts on the topic and tried following the instructions. The problem I ran into after downloading an intact version of the installer program was it gives me the message of :

Ad-Aware 2007 version 7.0.1.2 is already installed. You must uninstall the existing version before intstalling Ad-Aware 2007 Version 7.0.1.3. Do you want to uninstall the existing version of Ad-Aware 2007?

When I tried that I get the Error 1720 message and it brings me back to Do I want to uninstall the previous version.

I gave up on that anf tried to manually uninstall it. I ran the uninstall Tool from CCLeaner and it then allowed me to go in and manually delete the Ad Aware folder. then I ran the registry tool from CCleaner and removed the settings it found for AD Aware 2007. I restarted the computer but I run into the same issue of Ad Aware 2007 appearing in the start menu and Add/Remove programs with the 1720 error and I'm back to square one.

Any ideas?

sorry forgot to add:

Emachine T2825 running Windows XP Home Service Pack 2. No antivirus installed yet. I was oroiinally trying to install Mcafee Total Protection 2007 on it for my client and Mcafee won't install unless I remove Ad Aware.

Hi franktaplin,

I was oroiinally trying to install Mcafee Total Protection 2007 on it for my client and Mcafee won't install unless I remove Ad Aware.

For details on why McAfee won't play nice with Ad-Aware, please see my post at the end of this Topic: Uninstalation and fixing Registry, Need help with ad-aware uninstalation /McAfee virus scan issue

The regedit details are for AAW SE - should work the same for AAW 2007.

One way to remove AAW 2007 is to re-run the installer, which will bring up the following:

aaw2007Pro___repair.gif

Try selecting "Remove" - if it still gives you an error message, the select "Repair", rerun the installer and select "Remove".

Then follow the regedit instructions ( as always, be very careful when modifying the registry - do a reg backup first).

Regards,

Spike

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0