Sign in to follow this  
WarrenPS

Software Updates

Hello,

When I click on Update nothing occurs except below in a box "New Ad-Aware 2007 released" appears. It is very frustrating. If this doesn't get resolved then I am going to ask for a refund and go back to Ad-Aware SE.

there is no refund w free version

I too, am having the problem that when I click on Update nothing happens. If I understand correctly all of the above users are having the same problem.

I agree that I would definitely prefer to see a Popup assuring me that my Definitions, as well as the rest of my AAW 2007 are up-to-date. I would like to see this on Start-Up and when I manually click on Update.

I was starting to think that maybe the Update site (I don't know the Update site address) had become a blocked site under the Privacy tab on my Windows XP/IE 7.

Can anyone assure me that my definitions version 0004.0000 is current?

You can read about the update here:

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?s...ost&p=45719

Regards, Tobias

The above link to the update fixes would be welcome news IF they were all exactly fixed.

Unlike Ad-Aware SE Plus, Ad-Adware 2007 w/ latest update does not:

1) block tracking cookies

2) remove the Ad Watch pop-up at Windows shutdown

3) fix the bug affecting Definitions File downloads at startup

Note: Also, Ad-Aware seems to conflict with Roboform, overriding/preventing changes to Roboform setup options

Several Ad-Aware 2007 setup options are confusing per function and the manual is very limited in explaining settings options.

For now, I've reinstalled Ad-Aware SE Plus to get back the protection lost with Ad-Aware 2007.

I have problems with Ad-aware 2007

What I did was install Ad-aware2007 on a Win2K Pro service pack 4 system. After doing all the updates, I tried to click on the ? (help) icon and the program froze. I had difficulty shutting down the program, (it said it could not be ended - so to resume or quit debugging, something like that). I had to hard-reset my computer. I started it in safe mode and ran Ad-aware 2007. The program didn't like this either and initially gave a warning about screen resolution. Then after loading it gave the error (quoted below).

I don't appreciate Ad-aware 2007 much at this point. When it automatically updates it doesn't state what it is doing, so sometimes you're waiting and wondering if it's doing anything - then it pops up with a box and tells you there are updates available. After I completed all updates, I clicked on update again, but nothing happened. It just turned the cursor hand into an arrow for a brief period and then turned back to a hand again. No indication of what it was doing. These are growing pains that shouldn't exist when it gets to the customer.

The install seemed to go fine. No problems until I ran the program and completed the updates, and tried to update further (confirm) and tried to access the ? question mark (help). Then freeze. Then again in safe mode, no luck at all, crash with an error "Component: TTimer

Access violation at address 004033C3 in module 'Ad-Aware2007.exe'. Write of address 00000008

Send this information to Lavasoft Support Team (https://secure.lavasoft.com/support/supportcenter/) and also what you did to help us track down this error. Ad-aware now terminates."

DBaldwin

Win2KPro

post-30752-1182744709.gif

If you click the 'update' button and there are updates available the program will tell you so in a pop-up dialog. If no pop-up is displayed that means that no updates are available.

Regards, Tobias

tobias i must be missing something again new definitions were released today june 25

but it only popped

AFTER hitting UPDATE button isnt it supposed pop on start up if defs are aval

before ui updated i got a red x then tried again if they are aval should it pop on open or hitting update doing update is annoying having guess

Edited by cootmaster

tobias i must be missing something again new definitions were released today june 25

but it only popped

AFTER hitting UPDATE button isnt it supposed pop on start up if defs are aval

before ui updated i got a red x then tried again if they are aval should it pop on open or hitting update doing update is annoying having guess

As I have said on another thread, yesterday when I clicked on Update, I was informed that there was a new update waiting. However in the middle of the update an error message apologised and said that Ad-Aware was closing down. It would appear that I got the update because it is now shown as 0005.0000, but the date of the last update is still 19/06/07

As I have said on another thread, yesterday when I clicked on Update, I was informed that there was a new update waiting. However in the middle of the update an error message apologised and said that Ad-Aware was closing down. It would appear that I got the update because it is now shown as 0005.0000, but the date of the last update is still 19/06/07

i like .13 lot better 14 nothing but headaches could we put 13 back in or is that not advisable the updater is pain and all dumb errors or does the engine need .14 to run correct /will updates run if i went back to 13 pop up don't seem work either since the are aval but nothing popped

Ad-Aware will still automatically perform the check on startup, so if you start Ad-Aware and get no pop-up you know that there are no updates.

Regards, Tobias

Sorry to keep harping on about it, Tobias but as I stated in my other post "Updates Still Not Working", there is no indication in the Log File that auto start up actually checks for updates. There is no message "Checking for updates started", let alone "Checking for updates succeeded".

Sorry to keep harping on about it, Tobias but as I stated in my other post "Updates Still Not Working", there is no indication in the Log File that auto start up actually checks for updates. There is no message "Checking for updates started", let alone "Checking for updates succeeded".

We are looking at this right now and it will be addressed in the next update.

Regards, Tobias

Hello all,

Confirming AdAware updates:

1) After you click on the "Update" button, AdAware does an invisible update. When it is finished, usually within the minute, click on the UI's top "Status" button to view the submenu which appears below it.

2) Click on the "Log Files" option (a blue dot will appear next to "Log Files") and look at the log which appears on the right side on the UI.

3) Confirm you are on the Log File's AdAware event.log option. (Notice the word "event".)

4) Scroll to the BOTTOM of that event log (to the last items) and you SHOULD see the date and time next to the words "Checking for updates, and next to the words "Checking for updates succeeded".

(This works for manual updating, but there currently is no confirmation that "Starting automated update" finishes.)

I hope I am not the only one this works for...but, that is how I confirm the AdAware 2007 Plus Updates are updated.

Best wishes...

Edited by Somebody2

I also have the problem were nothing happens when I try and update the definition files. I am not sure that the files are being updated at all. I tried to force another updeate by deleting the defs.ref file per LS SteveJ's article and AAW 2007 still did not update the files or give me any messages and the date of the "old" definitions file remains unchanged on the status page.

This seems to mean that the software is not even trying to see if the file is there much less trying to see if it's current.

I can't use this software if I can't monitor the definitions updates. Are you sure this is not still a beta version? If this is not fixed ASAP, I will have to stop using it.

Ad-Aware 2007 does not use the defs.ref file and hence does not check for it on the hard drive. If you want to try to force an update of definitions you should remove the new Definitions file, which is called core.aawdef and can be found in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007 folder.

What should happen when you restart Ad-Aware 2007 and it does not find this file is that it automatically downloads a new one. This happens before the GUI is started, when the splash screen is shown. The splash scree should say 'Updating Definitions File' during the download.

Doing this on my computer resulted in the following two lines in my Ad-Aware event.log:

20070629 09-31-50 : Starting automated update.

20070629 09-31-51 : Installing automated update.

If your program behaves differently, please let me know and we will have a look at what may be the cause of that.

Regards, Tobias

Hello,

is there finally a automatic update or not ?

i open adaware2007 and nothing i wait a minute or two , nothing.

i push on update and i receive a popup to say there is an update and i say yes for download.

for me it is not a automatic update.

i receice thus now the 7.0.1.4 0006.0000 but manually

jean

Hello,

is there finally a automatic update or not ?

i open adaware2007 and nothing i wait a minute or two , nothing.

i push on update and i receive a popup to say there is an update and i say yes for download.

for me it is not a automatic update.

i receice thus now the 7.0.1.4 0006.0000 but manually

jean

Just clicked on update and got pop up telling me definitions out of date. Have now got def. 0006.0000 and the proper date 29/06/07. Seems to be OK now. I didn't expect automatic update with the free version or am I wrong? Thanks Tobias. :)

Edited by Mawby

D*mn def crashed again got red X had get the zip didnt do anything unless i put in wrong place whats the path the def file is in? why heck it keep doing it!

Hello,

if the automatic update is not for free version why not only a pop up.

on the beginning we have always a pup to say ok your programm is up to date.

why not only a popup to say there is a update ?

thanks

jean

Sign in to follow this