Sign in to follow this  
fishcatcher52@gmail.com

Ad Watch Issues

I seem to be having issues with Ad Watch. It doesn't seem to be catching cookies which is the main reason I upgraded to the Plus version in the first place. I definitly have the option selected but when I look at the log, it is catching many regestry changes but no cookies at all.

Right now Regsheild, Processes, Tracksweep, and Cookies are set to on. For Regsheild, I show 1,117 events, and 0 for everything else.

Can anyone please help me with what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Same for me. Zero in all categories except for registry changes (which, BTW, it isn't blocking). I have Cookie Monster II, and it removes lots of cookies, so I know Ad-Watch isn't doing that. In fact, I don't think Ad-Watch is doing anything except counting registry changes.

If you want more interaction with Ad-Watch RegShield I suggest you turn on the User List under Settings < Notification. Then you will be notified any time registry changes are made and then set rights on an application basis under RegShield > User List.

As for Ad-Watch Cookies it will only block cookies that are in detection. I suggest you make sure that logging of Cookie events is on (Settings > Log), turn TrackSweep off and use your computer as you normally would for a few days. If you still don't have any Cookie events in the Event log by then, post here again.

Regards, Tobias

I am still having issues. For one I keep getting a message that ad-aware is having a problem and needs to close. Secondly no cookies are being caught that I can see.

I am also having issues with Ad-Watch. It has not picked up any events in RegShield, processes or cookies since it was installed. The log which is turned on shows zero events.

I followed Tobias' suggestions and here is what happened. First, TegShield began prompting me for every change. If you look at the log, I run about 400-500 during the week, and 500-800 on weekends. Clearly responding to every one of these would leave no tome to get any work done. That is not the answer Tobias! What we need is something a bit mor discriminating; something that would determine that if such-and-such a change were made, it would disrupt the stability of the system. THere are a number of registry cleaners available (I use ToniArts Easy Cleaner because it's free and good) that get rid of all kinds of junk in the registry. They somehow know what is mostly OK to get rid of. LS needs to invest more effort in this area to produce a product that is worth paying for.

Regarding cookies, I also tried Tobias' recommendation. I turned TrackSweep off in the main status window. I cleared cookies with CookieMonster II. I've run since that time. I just looked at the log - still zero cookies. I rand Cookie Monster II, it says I have 47 cookies, which I deleted. I know that CookieMonster II is indiscriminate about which cookies it logs (it logs everything). Perhaps TrackSweep is only looking for harmful cookies. If so, it is operating like RegShield should and vice versa!

If you look at the log, I run about 400-500 during the week, and 500-800 on weekends. Clearly responding to every one of these would leave no tome to get any work done. That is not the answer Tobias!

Perhaps I was not expressing myself clearly enough. What I said was:

"... Then you will be notified any time registry changes are made and then set rights on an application basis under RegShield > User List. "

If you visit the User List you will see a list of programs that have done registry changes. In the list you can give each application the right to make changes to the registry - without you ever being prompted - by setting the User Action to 'Allow'. You can also set it to 'Block' (which also means you will never be prompted for that application) or 'Not set' (you will be prompted).

Regards, Tobias

Perhaps I was not expressing myself clearly enough. What I said was:

"... Then you will be notified any time registry changes are made and then set rights on an application basis under RegShield > User List. "

If you visit the User List you will see a list of programs that have done registry changes. In the list you can give each application the right to make changes to the registry - without you ever being prompted - by setting the User Action to 'Allow'. You can also set it to 'Block' (which also means you will never be prompted for that application) or 'Not set' (you will be prompted).

Regards, Tobias

I have followed Tobias instructions, but Ad-Watch is not identifying any registery or other changes in the user list or event log

I have to say that to this point I'm disappointed with my upgrade from the free version to the plus version. I upgraded so that ad-ware whether registry changes or cookies or other code would not make it to my laptop in the first place. With the free version I was already able to get it off once it got there.

I am also unhappy with the answers so far to these issues. To me any software that doesn't work without some kind of tweaks simply doesn't work. DOES AD-WATCH WORK OR NOT??

Tobias your last reponse did not address the cookies issue at all which is why I started this thread in the first place. If I'm wrong, and I hope I am, please set me straight. I want this to work. Otherwise I feel I have wasted my money.

Thanks

Edited by JLC

Tobias, you were perfectly clear, and so was I. What I am saying is that just to stop being bothered by what are seemingly non-threatening registry changes, you have to individually "allow" every one of them (at least once), or go back to the "on detection only" setting (which I have) which as far as I can tell, does nothing to block anything. Now, if it does block malicious registry changes, and I just haven't run into one, tell me and I will be happy (except, you could quit logging the non-malicious ones).

To the last respondees (JLC) statement - indeed you haven't adressed the "cookies" issue.

Sorry, I got pulled away from the computer before getting to the cookies in my last post.

As I believe I have stated earlier, Ad-Watch Cookies does not remove ALL cookies, only the ones which are considered malicious. Are you saying you get no entries whatsoever in the event log?

Cookie removals are not listed individually in the log, but are grouped together and you need to expand the node for each timestamp to see the cookie names:

- Cookies (10)

+ 2007-06-26 20:34

- 2007-06-26 20:30

tacoda.net

tacoda.net

doubleclick.net

As a frame of reference I just took five minutes to do some random clicking around on amazon, ebay, yahoo and about.com and ended up getting 335 cookies removed by Ad-Watch Cookies.

If you receive no Cookie events despite having having the log option on something is obviously wrong and we will need to have a look at it.

Regards, Tobias

Tobias, you were perfectly clear, and so was I. What I am saying is that just to stop being bothered by what are seemingly non-threatening registry changes, you have to individually "allow" every one of them (at least once), or go back to the "on detection only" setting (which I have) which as far as I can tell, does nothing to block anything. Now, if it does block malicious registry changes, and I just haven't run into one, tell me and I will be happy (except, you could quit logging the non-malicious ones).

Since the User List is application based and you only have to make the setting once per application, it is not really that much work to set them as allowed, I think, but I guess that is a matter of opinion. Anyway, the 'On detection only' will block malicious changes. We'll consider revising the logging of non-malicious events.

Regards, Tobias

Sorry, I got pulled away from the computer before getting to the cookies in my last post.

As I believe I have stated earlier, Ad-Watch Cookies does not remove ALL cookies, only the ones which are considered malicious. Are you saying you get no entries whatsoever in the event log?

Cookie removals are not listed individually in the log, but are grouped together and you need to expand the node for each timestamp to see the cookie names recorded.

- Cookies (10)

+ 2007-06-26 20:34

- 2007-06-26 20:30

tacoda.net

tacoda.net

doubleclick.net

As a frame of reference I just took five minutes to do some random clicking around on amazon, ebay, yahoo and about.com and ended up getting 335 cookies removed by Ad-Watch Cookies.

If you receive no Cookie events despite having having the log option on something is obviously wrong and we will need to have a look at it.

Regards, Tobias

I confirm that I do not get any cookie events whatsoever in the event log despite having having the log option on. I have tried random clicking around on amazon, ebay and yahoo and have still have no Cookie events recorded.

I confirm that I do not get any cookie events whatsoever in the event log despite having having the log option on. I have tried random clicking around on amazon, ebay and yahoo and have still have no Cookie events recorded.

Ok, then please provide some system specs, what browser(s) you are using and possibly conflicting programs you may be running (typically security software) and we will have a look at it.

Regards, Tobias

Ok, then please provide some system specs, what browser(s) you are using and possibly conflicting programs you may be running (typically security software) and we will have a look at it.

Regards, Tobias

Widows XP Home, Browser IE 7 and Norton Internet Security 2007.

Although AD-Watch did not log any cookies AD-Aware identified 12 cookies with a TAI rating of 3 or above when I ran it.

Edited by DerekS

Thank you Tobias for wanting to help. I have Windows XP, IE7, and ZoneAlarm.

Basically same results as above. I have had the log option on since I installed the software and not the first cookie logged. Nothing. I am open to this being user error, I just don't know what it would be.

Thanks again for your help.

Here is an error I keep getting:

Ad-Watch2007.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Has anyone encountered this before with ad-watch? what should I do?

Thanks.

You're lucky.

My Ad-Watch won't work even though I've got the Pro version of 2007

Ad watch is not catching cookies for me either. Plenty of Reg changes but no cookies. A scan with ad aware produces cookies, so why isn't ad watch catching them.

A bit pointless paying for real time protection when it doesn't work. I may as well have stayed with the free program.

My gripe for the day, you all have a great day. :D

As I posted above, Ad-Watch keeps crashing. I recieved a support email today that issue have been resolved but I can't keep ad-watch up long enough to see if it's true. I even completely uninstalled ad-aware and re-installed and let the update take place. Not change. I need some help.

As I posted above, Ad-Watch keeps crashing. I recieved a support email today that issue have been resolved but I can't keep ad-watch up long enough to see if it's true. I even completely uninstalled ad-aware and re-installed and let the update take place. Not change. I need some help.

Try turning off the Cookie blocker and see if that helps.

If you want to be helpful you could get the crash dump and send it to us. That would be appreciated.

Regards, Tobias

I do want to be helpful but not sure where to get the crash dump. I copied this out of the error message though. Hope this helps.

szAppName : Ad-Watch2007.exe szAppVer : 7.0.1.4

szModName : CookieBlocker.dll szModVer : 7.0.1.2 offset : 00027886

I do want to be helpful but not sure where to get the crash dump. I copied this out of the error message though. Hope this helps.

szAppName : Ad-Watch2007.exe szAppVer : 7.0.1.4

szModName : CookieBlocker.dll szModVer : 7.0.1.2 offset : 00027886

Thank you. I will post instructions for how to retrieve bug reports.

Regards, Tobias

Tobias I have a question for you. I am using ZoneAlarm and have tweaked the security settings on that software to catch most of the bad stuff. Ad-Aware catches more and I have decided not to use ad-watch at all but to schedule a daily scan with ad-aware. Is there a way to either de-install ad-watch, or install ad-aware without ad-watch? I have tried turning ad-watch off in ad-aware but it keeps getting loaded anyway.

Thanks. this might be a workable solution since I can't seem to get ad-watch to work right.

Take care, JC

There is no way on uninstalling only Ad-Watch, but If the setting 'Load Ad-Watch on Start up' setting is off it shouldn't start automatically.

You can double check by opening msconfig and make sure that Ad-Watch is not checked on the Startup tab.

Regards, Tobias

Sign in to follow this