Sign in to follow this  
weegie

How Do I Stop A Scan?

I was very happy with AdAware SE and am wondering why in the world I ever decided to "upgrade" (which seems quite a misnomer) to 2007.

I have the Pro version and have it scheduled to run a full scan every night. I can't *see* the scan running, however, and never see any results or opportunities to delete infections (if I open the program and look at my statistics, I can see that it has run 22 scans, found 1179 infections and removed 1 of them). Tonight I needed to use my computer while a scan was evidently running, but I could not figure out how to pause or cancel it (everything was running too slowly while it was scanning) nor could I see the scan's progress so I could determine how long I might have to wait until it finished on its own. I finally resorted to going into Task Manager and shutting down the aawservice.exe process because AdAware did not even show up as an application there. Is there something else I could have done?

I am so frustrated with this product and am baffled as to how it ever made it out of the Beta phase. :)

Hi weegie,

You should have a Stop Scan button just behind the scan progress.

You can click on it, even if the mouse cursor is showing hourglass.

Hope this helps.

Bye

Michel

Thank you, Michel, for your response.

I am able to stop a scan if I have manually started one, but if an automatic scan is running, there is no AdAware interface, not even an icon in the system tray. When I try to open AdAware to access the interface, I receive an error message saying that AdAware is already open.

I recall now that the main reason I upgraded from SE was for the automatic scan feature. Obviously I now regret that.

I was very happy with AdAware SE and am wondering why in the world I ever decided to "upgrade" (which seems quite a misnomer) to 2007.

I have the Pro version and have it scheduled to run a full scan every night. I can't *see* the scan running, however, and never see any results or opportunities to delete infections (if I open the program and look at my statistics, I can see that it has run 22 scans, found 1179 infections and removed 1 of them). Tonight I needed to use my computer while a scan was evidently running, but I could not figure out how to pause or cancel it (everything was running too slowly while it was scanning) nor could I see the scan's progress so I could determine how long I might have to wait until it finished on its own. I finally resorted to going into Task Manager and shutting down the aawservice.exe process because AdAware did not even show up as an application there. Is there something else I could have done?

I am so frustrated with this product and am baffled as to how it ever made it out of the Beta phase. ;)

sounds very much like yet another 'bug' that needs ironing out, it does seem a shame that a lot of the functionality that was available in all versions of ad-aware se is just not there in this new and much vaunted product. i am just glad i am only using the free version at this moment, and can only imagine how frustrating it must be for those who have paid for it. polygon

I have an answer for that : There is no way at the moment to stop a scheduled scan.

However, this will be discussed to see if it can be made available.

Thanks.

Michel

Sign in to follow this