Sign in to follow this  
Scrotok

Problems Upgrading From "personal Se" To Ad-aware 2007 (free)

Hi all,

My PC:

Dell Dimension 8200

Pentium 4, 1.90 GHz, 768 MB RAM

Windows XP Home 2002, Service Pack 2

Norton Personal Firewall 2006 (Ver 9.1.1.7)

Norton Anti-Virus 2006 (Ver 14.2.0.29)

About 2 years (?) ago, I installed Ad-Aware Personal SE (not sure which version), and it worked fine. This morning, I tried to update the definitions file, and that worked fine. Then, before scanning for problems, I decided to download the latest Ad-Aware software (2007 - Free). The installation seemed to work fine. During the installation, Personal SE was automatically uninstalled. I selected the option to install Ad-Aware 2007 for "Anyone who uses this computer" (as opposed to the "Only for me" option). I selected "Standard installation" (vs. "Advanced installation"), and the default destination folder. I checked for definition file updates, and it said my file was updated. I also checked for the most current software. The only update available was a GUI update for Ad-Watch 2007, which I downloaded (apparently this was not needed, however, since I don't have access to Ad-Watch in the free version).

I "smart" scanned for problems, and it found 2 or 3 "Critical Objects" (can't remember what they were), which I was able to delete. It also found approximately 1400+ "Privacy Objects" (cookies and MRU Objects). When I selected them and clicked "Delete", then clicked "Finish," I got an error (after a brief pause of about 10-20 seconds):

"Error: Service error: 6000 has occurred. Description: Lost connection with Ad-Aware service. Terminating gracefully..."

So, I tried to re-start the program, but got this error (every time I tried):

"Error: System error: 1814 has occurred. Description: Could not login to service. Are you running this application as another user? Application terminates"

So, I double-clicked on the installer program (aaw2007.exe), and selected Repair, but I still got the 1814 error.

So, I ran the installer program again, and selected Uninstall, then re-installed it (again using the installer program). I got the program to work again, but when I tried to delete the cookies/MRUs, I got some kind of error (which I wasn't able to screen capture), which asked me to inform Lavasoft about the error, followed by the the same 6000 error again. Error 1814 then occurred every time I tried to start the program (again).

I tried re-downloading the installer program from various sites, with no success.

During one of the "Repair" attempts, I got the 1814 error (at the end). During one of the "Re-install" attempts, I got the following error:

"Installer Information: Internal Error 2753. AdAware2007.exe"

I checked "Add/Remove Programs" (Control Panel) and I only see 1 instance of Ad-Aware 2007 (no instances of Ad-Aware Personal SE).

I began documenting everything much more carefully...

I uninstalled the program, using aaw2007.exe, rebooted, then re-installed the program. During re-installation, it gave me a message I didn't see before:

"Ad-Aware 2007 Setup: If you have bought a license, please click "Renew" on the main status page..." (since I didn't buy a licence, I just clicked "Next").

After re-installing, the program starts automatically. A pop-up window appeared: "Outdated definition file, new definition file to download. Would you like to download update now?" I clicked "Yes," and I saw (after about 10 seconds): "Update complete!" Another pop-up appeared: "Question: There are new software updates available! Do you want to go to the download location?" I clicked "Yes." I then saw this pop-up: "Ad-Aware 2007 Update Manager: A new version of the Update Manager is available. Click OK to download this update (recommended) or Cancel if you want to close the Update Manager and download the update later." I clicked "OK." Norton Personal Firewall pop-up appeared: "LSUpdateManager.exe is attempting to connect to a DNS server" via UDP (Outbound), so I clicked "Always allow". Interestingly, it now showed me a whole list of files that I needed to download (Ad-Aware, Ad-Watch, Tools, and Other) in order to update the software (this was possibly due to the fact that the installer program might have been a different version, since I was trying to find a "working" version on various websites -- the version I used for this attempt was 7.0.1.2). I clicked "Download." Norton Personal Firewall again gave me a pop-up concerning "LSUpdateManager.exe", which I clicked "Always allow" for. I then saw a pop-up: "Update Information: Update complete! You now have the latest version of Ad-Aware 2007! Press OK to close update manager." I clicked "OK."

In the main program window for Ad-Aware 2007, I now clicked "Update," just to make sure I had the latest software. I saw a "Getting information about definition updates, please wait..." window pop-up, but then... nothing. No feedback to indicate success or failure. This was different than the first time I installed the software. Under "Update Status," I saw this:

Current version: 0008.0000

Last update: 7/15/2007 | 1:16:00 PM

Authenticity verified: {green check mark}

Threats in Detection: 87040

I then clicked on "Web Update," then "Update." Again I saw a "Getting information about definition updates, please wait..." window pop-up, but then nothing.

I performed a "Smart Scan." Scan Results: Critcal Objects (0), Privacy Objects (1480). 3 of the Privacy Objects were MRU Objects, the rest were Tracking Cookies. I selected all of the Privacy Objects and then clicked "Remove." The Privacy Objects disappeared from the "Scan Results" window, but before I could click "Finish" (about 10 seconds after clicking "Remove"), I got the 6000 error. When I tried to re-start the program, I got the 1814 error.

I tried to uninstall the program by clicking Start -> All Programs -> Lavasoft -> Ad-Aware 2007 -> Uninstall Ad-Aware 2007, but it gave me this pop-up error:

"Windows Installer: This action is only valid for products that are currently installed."

So, I uninstalled it using Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs. It seemed to work (nothing under C:\Program Files\Lavasoft except for Ad-aware 6).

I then found a more recent (7.0.1.5) version of aaw2007.exe. After rebooting, and disabling Norton Personal Firewall (just to see if that would make a difference), I installed it. After installation, the following pop-up appeared:

"Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007: Please Enter Your License Information"

Since I want to use the "Free" version, I clicked "Cancel" (I don't have a "Serial Number" or "Unlock Key").

Under "Update Status" I saw this:

Current version: 0007.0000

Last update: 7/5/2007 1:21:38 PM

Threats in Detection: 85879

I clicked "Update" and updated the latest definition file. "Update Status" now showed this:

Current version: 0008.0000

Last update: 7/15/2007 | 2:28:00 PM

Threats in Detection: 87040

I clicked "Update" again, just to be sure, and saw "Getting information about definition updates, please wait...", then "Your definition file is up to date!"

I conducted a "Smart Scan". The "Scan Results" were the same as before. However, this time, in order to "force" the error to appear that I missed previously, I clicked "Remove" and then rapidly clicked "Finish" (without waiting). I saw this error:

"Error: An error has occurred in Ad-Aware 2007! Component: TFormAAW. Message: No root element found in xml. Send this information to Lavasoft Support Team (https://secure.lavasoft.com/support/supportcenter/) and also what you just did to help us track down this error. Ad-Aware now terminates."

...followed by the 6000 error.

Apparently, I cannot contact the Support Center (using the above URL) because I haven't purchased the product.

The version I used (7.0.1.5) was downloaded here:

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_awa...1e662704354c0ac

(under "MajorGeeks.com"). Details:

- Size: 17.2 MB (18,051,488 bytes)

- Digital Signature Timestamp: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 9:22:39 AM

However, the FAQ directs me to this site for the most recent version:

https://secure.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

Although this version is also 7.0.1.5, it's different:

- Size: 17.3 MB (18,164,640 bytes)

- Timestamp: Friday, July 06, 2007 5:37:24 PM

Note that I didn't try to use this version, especially after reading the post by wayne.s (below). I'm backing up my C: drive now...

Please help!

JP

Edited by Scrotok

hello scrotok

before you decide to use/install this program id advise you to read the following link

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=10903

youll be glad you did !

is you pc still able to get windows updates?

do you still have your other programs on your hard drive?

im giving you this info because lavasoft wont

hope this is a help to you

my problems started the same way so be careful!!

The 1814 error is in this case most likely caused by the service hanging when you try to remove cookies. There is no need to reinstall the service to remedy this problem - just restarting the service should do it.

1. go to the start menu and choose 'Run...'

2. type 'services.msc'

3. in the services window, locate 'Ad-Aware 2007 Service' and click 'Stop'

4. When the service is stopped, click 'Start'

5. When the service is started, try to run Ad-Aware 2007 again.

Instead of removing all cookies at once, try selecting a few hundred and remove them to see if that keeps the service from crashing.

We will look into what causes the crash.

Regards, Tobias

Amusingly, I never ran into the 1814 error again. Here's what happened:

Downloaded/installed latest version (7.0.1.5):

https://secure.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

- Size: 17.3 MB (18,164,640 bytes)

- Timestamp: Friday, July 06, 2007 5:37:24 PM

Update Status:

Current version: 0007.0000

Last Update: 7/5/2007 1:21:38 PM

Authenticity Verified: {green check mark}

Threats in Detection: 85879

Clicked “Updateâ€

Norton Personal Firewall: "aawservice.exe" is trying to access DNS server (always allow)

Downloaded latest definition file

AdWatch GUI 7.0.1.5 available, but I ignored it (since I don't use AdWatch)

Update Status:

Current version: 0009.0000

Last Update: 7/16/2007 | 7:10:00 PM

Authenticity Verified: {green check mark}

Threats in Detection: 88151

Smart Scan #1:

- Critical Object: Hi-Wire (removed)

- 1300+ Privacy Objects (mostly Cookies): Removed 3x MRUs

Closed Ad-Aware, then restarted

Smart Scan #2:

- 1 MRU found (same "Recent" as before) and 1300+ Cookies

Removed about 50 Cookies

When I clicked "Finish", I got a "5000" (?) error, then the following error:

"Ad-Aware 2007 An error occurred: Cleaning: UNABLE TO REMOVE FILE. Suggested Action: Will be removed after you have restarted your computer."

After rebooting, I used IE to delete Cookies "manually", then re-scanned with Ad-Aware. Only 2 MRUs found (Recent and IE Typed URLs), no Cookies. No action needed/taken.

The process of deleting a few hundred Cookies at a time, using Ad-Aware, is painful for 2 reasons:

- You have to click each Cookie's checkbox individually; you can't Shift-Click or Cntl-Click like in most Windows apps

- You have to re-scan (10-20 mins wait) after each group of Cookies is deleted (no way to delete some, then delete more Cookies, without doing a re-scan)

Based on the above, I chose the easy way out (using IE to delete Cookies). Good luck!

JP

The process of deleting a few hundred Cookies at a time, using Ad-Aware, is painful for 2 reasons:

- You have to click each Cookie's checkbox individually; you can't Shift-Click or Cntl-Click like in most Windows apps

- You have to re-scan (10-20 mins wait) after each group of Cookies is deleted (no way to delete some, then delete more Cookies, without doing a re-scan)

Yes, I know. I wasn't suggesting this as a permanent solution. You are supposed to be able to delete all your cookies in one go if you want to and we are looking into this issue.

Regards, Tobias

Hello to all,

I'm new to Ad-Aware 2007 Free Edition and loved Ad-Aware SE Personal. SE Personal always did the job, cleared the threats and malware that slowed my machine to a crawl. One day, however, the definitions file decided that it didn't want to download - my guess was that it was because there was a new version of the free software that had been released. Trusting Lavasoft to do what they had done for years (putting a solid program into the free-ware/share-ware universe), I downloaded Ad-Aware 2007. That appears to have been a mistake.

After encountering download problem after download problem, I thought I was finally OK when I got the program to start up property. At that point, I was prompted to run the Definitions update (which I did) and then the Software update (which I did). The multiple tabs and customization options aside, this is a far different program than the earlier version and is MUCH more cumbersome to use. That didn't bother me either as I'm used to having to learn new programs and improved versions. What I didn't expect was a program that would hang repeatedly, time after time after time.

So, I come back to Lavasoft to find answers and find that the program in both free versions and subscription/paid versions seem to be full of problems. I've been reading these forums for nearly an hour now, and one thing comes through over and over: There is something wrong with the way this new program integrates into people's systems (seems to do catastrophic damage to some) or it simply won't operate properly. Mine is no different.

I can update the Definitions file and update the program with no problem. However, when I choose to run a scan, EVERY single time I get the following message:

X Service Error: 6000 has occured. Description: Lost connection with Ad-Aware service. Terminating gracefully.

That is all that ever happens now. Should I be worried about catastrophic failure of my machine now? Should I uninstall Ad-Aware 2007? What is the best course of action for this sort of error? I can't find a fix on the Lavasoft site. From what I read, the beta testers knew there were problems. From what I read, Lavasoft is not addressing the problems rapidly, if at all. What do the rest of you suggest as I'm about over it?

Thank you for your help.

SWD

I got the same 6000 error when running the FREE Ad Aware 2007. Following Tobias' suggestion I stopped and started the Ad Aware service. Even set the service to restart after each subsequent failure. (You can set this by right clicking on the service andselecting "Propoerties" , "Recovery"). The error keeps reappearing. The first post regarding the 6000 error appeared in November 2006, and it's July 2007!

Is there a solution?

Sign in to follow this