Sign in to follow this  
noadware user

Why is noadwarev4.0 a new critical object?

:) I have been using noadwarev4.0 along with Ad-aware SE pro for over a year .After a deep scan with the latest definitions file,there were 39 new critical objects all from noadwarev 4.0 WHY ? It is still rated as a top 10 most popular spyware remover. I have to put it into the ignored list, please help should i delete noadwarev 4.0?

My name is Michael and I work for Noadware.net

I can assure you there is no threat associated with Noadware 4.0.

This is an error and we are in the process of contacting Lavasoft to remedy this situation.

Kind Regards,

-Michael

This is an error and we are in the process of contacting Lavasoft to remedy this situation.

-Michael

Great, that's the way to handle it then :)

I was just coming back in to answer this topic and saw your post as we have had others asking in here.

In answer to the OP, In Adaware it has a TAC rating of 4 (anything over a TAC 3 is considered a critical object)

These terms and definitions are listed in the Adaware Manual (available using the "Help" button within the program)

Look under the section that says TAC (Threat Assessment Chart) and you will see the criteria used to determine the TAC rating

I remember When NoAdware first hit the market it was listed on the "Hall of Shame" for using deceptive advertising as a goad to purchase

That list by Eric Howes is here:

Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

You will notice they have since been delisted on that site (delisted in 2004),

De-Listed Applications:

Some applications that were originally included in this list of "rogue/suspect" anti-spyware programs have been de-listed after the vendors for those programs took steps to correct the problems identified on this page. For each program that has been de-listed there is a note explaining the circumstances at the bottom of the main "rogue/suspect" list (see below for those notes). An entry for each of the applications de-listed during the past year remains in the main list above solely to point to the explanatory notes below. Applications de-listed over a year ago have only a note below.

but some others still carry them as "dangerous"

Such as the Greatis Application Database:

http://www.greatis.com/appdata/d/n/noadware4.exe.htm <---This is another you may want to get in touch with Michael.

I have noticed that later versions of NoAdware no longer are considered rogue products.

The Startuplist database I use at Castlecops has it listed as User Choice and not as spyware or harmful.

If that is an application you would like to keep, you can put all those on *ignore* if you wish while the matter is under review.

Adaware provides a Vendor Request Reporting system online for reporting inaccurate, outdated, or false positive detection information

http://www.lavasoftresearch.com/vendor.php

CalamityJane,

Thank you very much for your helpful response.

We did indeed submit a vendor request form about a week after the definitions were released, but have yet to hear back from Lavasoft.

I also appreciate you noting the Greatis link for our review.

We currently update our product daily, and it is currently used by millions of customers (who happily use it alongside other anti-spyware products such as Ad-Aware, Microsoft Defender, etc), and which is also quite evident by the posts located on this board regarding use of Noadware and the current detections by Ad-Aware.

We're obviously anxious to have this issue resolved.

Kind Regards,

-Michael

That was the May 31st defs released right? It's probably only been about a week since you sent it then. If you haven't heard any acknowledgement of having received your request you might want to send it again to make sure they got it. I have no idea how it takes them investigate and respond.

It was indeed the May 31st definitions.

We submitted a full report around June 5-6th, and received no reply.

We attempted to send a follow-up report around the 11th just asking if Lavasoft even received a report, but didn't receive a reply to that either. According to their FAQs, they are supposed to send a reply just acknowledging they received the report within 48 hours of receiving it.

If you could touch base with anyone you might know over there and just check if they received our report, we would appreciate it greatly.

We don't want to flood them with requests (we know how research can be), but likewise, want to be sure that the matter is being looked into. Lots of people use Ad-Aware as you know, and we've been receiving emails from current and prospective customers regarding the detection.

Once again, thanks a lot CalamityJane.

Regards,

-Michael

If you could touch base with anyone you might know over there and just check if they received our report, we would appreciate it greatly.

Will do! :)

:) THANK you CalamityJane and noadware.net

My problem seems to be the same, but a little different, in that I am not having any problems with any of my programmes except Lavasoft's Ad-Aware SE. I have being doing everything right -- there shouldn't be vulnerabilities, and I have done what I can to see if somehow a worm got into my system, but nothing appears to be there. I have been using your Ad-Aware SE as a backup to NoAdware v4.0 which I purchased prior to hearing about you. You are my backup... Yesterday I started running into an issue when I run your programme. It seems to be finding critical issues and then shutting down using the following message:This system is shutting down. Please save all work in progress and log off. Any unsaved changes will be lost. This shutdown was initiated by NT Authority System. The system process c:\Windows\system32\services.exe terminated unexpectedly with status code 0. The system will now shut down and restart. I have researched what could possibly be going wrong and have updated NoAdware with and Authenticity Check, and a cleaner plugin for a VX2 variant. It continues to test clean. My virus software (AVG Free Edition) is always updated automatically and has on-access antivirus scanning enables for all files as well as emails. I have run MS Security Baseline Analyzer and all is well. I went on to Symantec to use their Blaster remover to find that is not loaded, also my internet connection is always firewalled. It is only when I try to run your software - which I deleted and downloaded again today. From reading the link you left above, I don't see that you are checking this particular issue, unless I'm reading it incorrectly. What could be wrong?

Hello. This is something that we are aware of, and is being dealt with between Lavasoft and NoAdware.

Thanks for the reports

//Steve

Hello. This is something that we are aware of, and is being dealt with between Lavasoft and NoAdware.

Thanks for the reports

//Steve

h

Without wishing to detract but fwiw if your going after Noadware for the assumption it is generating F/P's to act as a goad to purchase then without meaning any offence but in all honesty why don't you go after the 2 biggest culprits for this modis operandi being Spyware eliminator and CA Pestpatrol ?

In the past Noadware has made some cheap shots against a certain p2p software i have had installed on a clean pc but now it makes 0 detections against my clean 'puter.

Would you like to see the Pestpatrol or SE log of my 100%malware free machine.They read like a horror novels :)

fatdcuk,

Thanks for posting.

I will say that Lavasoft has been quite helpful in working with us to resolve this issue, and we're happy to report that we believe the Noadware detection will be removed in the next update provided by Lavasoft.

Thanks to CalamityJane and all those that expressed their thoughts/concerns or posted.

All my best

-Michael

:) Your welcome Michael

I'm glad to hear that it might be resolved quickly but my only sentiment in all fairness is that if Lavasoft are going to act like "police" on antispyware products then they do it equally to all offenders and not just the smaller Vendors who are easy targets :lol:

Good luck to both parties(Lavasoft/Noadware) in the product devs,one thing is sure the internet users needs more higher quality security software to choose from.It feels like for every 1 half decent software there are 20 poor ones waiting in the wings to rip folks off :wub:

Personally, I think that if LS is going to 'police' the 'rogues', it should target NoAdware. Even after being delisted on the rogues list, NoAdware has continued to use deceptive & sleazy marketing practices. This is well documented. Additionally, it still uses massive amounts of F/Ps to goad users into purchase. This is shown in their most recent signatures. Furthermore, the tool is a scam. It claims to protect users. Instead it has no proactive features to speak of.

Ref; http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic.php?t=21623

Ref; http://www.voiceofthepublic.com/noadware/Noadware4.html

Hi :P VOP mike I am a happy Noadware user,free upgrade,good customer service,easy to use,quick scan.Ok, may be it is not the best or a ? rogue product,but you could always get your money back within 90 days if purchased it. The problem started with LS and i am still waiting for the new definitions update to correct it.Many users like me almost deleted Noadware because of LS. Spyware remover that cost you dearly lol because i paid for Noadware ;)

Noadware user,

I'd like to thank you very much for your kind words. We honestly have diligently tried since our inception as a company to provide good customer service and a good product. I can assure you this issue with Lavasoft is pending resolution, and am confident an update will be posted shortly.

Regarding the claims regarding "massive amounts of false positives" and the gratuitous use of the word "scam", I will say that these are obviously without merit. I think the poster should take care to avoid simply basing conclusions on past biases, and concentrate on objectively reviewing software.

Noadware provides much in the way of pro-active features that rival any anti-spyware/adware product on the market today. (real time protection, various shields, and a large database of threats)

Regards,

-Michael

Both Ad-Aware SE and Noadware updated their definitions.The result :- :) the tac rating has been reduced from 4 to2,critical object gone up from 39to42 :angry: ,so finally LS decided to kill off Noadware,what a waste of time :)

Noadware user,

The critical objects detected are part of the Noadware application?

You can also reach me directly at [email protected]

Please let me know,

-Michael

Hi ,yes all from the Noadware application ,i just put it in the ignore list.So after all the talks LS reduced the tac rating from 4 to 2

Update to this situation:-

Please note that NoAdware is in a probationary period. This means that it is open to discussion by the security community, and our users, on whether or not this application should be removed from detection. I would kindly ask people to provide their commentary on the steps we are taking.

Thanks

//Steve

I used Noadwarev4.0 along with AD-Aware SE Pro for a long time,the May definitions update =inconvenience for me.As long as Noadware doesn't harm my computer,i want to keep it not to remove it by the detection.However i recently discovered a fault with Noadware ,that it will change your search page to msn.com automatically.To prevent this you have to disable the ie hijack shield. Thank you LS SteveJ for the update :P

Noadware user,

Thank you for posting your experiences.

Just a FYI, When you first install Noadware, it will attempt to detect whatever homepage you have set. The shield will then use that setting to lock in that homepage, so hijackers can't change it. So if you happen to have msn.com as your homepage, Noadware will attempt to protect that page. As you correctly pointed out, disabling the IE hijack shield will prevent this from occuring.

All my best

-Michael

I would like to point out that this forum is for support of Lavasoft products and this thread is fast becoming a support thread for the NoAdware product. The "start page shield" discussion has very little to do with the detection of NoAdware by Ad-Aware and a I will be closing this thread as there really is very little more to be added to this discussion. My latest post explains our current position on this matter.

Thanks

//Steve

Sign in to follow this