Sign in to follow this  
gelert

Adwatch Is A Disaster Of Biblical Proportions...

I tried...

I REALLY tried to get on with AdAware 2007...but I have failed.

I appreciate all of the effort that the programmers and beta-testers have put into this.

I have posted on this forum with questions and problems, without much success I might add...!

And now I discover that my Credit Card number has been used online, fraudulently...

Coincidence...? I don't believe in coincidence I'm afraid.

Basically, aside from the irritation of AdWatch 2007 not loading on WinXP Pro SP2 Start-up (even when recognised and encouraged by WinPatrol), it has done nothing except alert me to Registry Modifications - 500 in 8-10 days...and yet running AdAware 2007 Full Scan on a DAILY basis, cookies have been detected on a DAILY basis, approximately 5-per-day - this NEVER used to happen with AdAware SE...I was "lucky" to find one-cookie-per-two-months with AdAware SE, Ffuxache...!

And so (fortunately I still have the link), I have deleted AdAware 2007 and replaced it with AdAware SE & Ad-Watch.

AND GUESS WHAT...!

Ad-Watch started with WinXP Pro SP2, first time...no worries...!

And with SE updates already loaded, I started a Full Scan using SE...and HOW MANY COOKIES....!

My Credit Card company has been quick to spot-and-stop the fraud, and I will not be liable for the fraudulent use / costs. But it's still a pain-in-the-wassisname to wait for another card and another card number and another PIN number to arrive in the post - not to mention the embarrassment afforded me at the pet shop this afternoon, whilst trying to buy some dog-food...

BOTTOM LINE: So, "nice try", LavaSoft..."the scheduler" (Updates & Scans) is an excellent idea that works BTW.

But AdWatch is a DISASTER, allowing ANYTHING through...and with only one scan-per-day available, 23+ hours of "open-house to spyware" is NOT my idea of a Security System.

Therefore, I suggest that somebody at LavaSoft / a trusted BetaTester, tries installing AdAware 2007 from the LavaSoft Website onto a VIRGIN PC (i.e. without all of the AdAware 2007 "patches / updates / tweaks" currently being alluded to on this Forum), and then works to cure the inevitable bugs that they will find.

Meanwhile, "Back at The Ranch", I've gone back to AdAware SE, and I'm now happier - and securer for it.

As another poster said - "So long, and thanks for all the fish".

System:

WinXP Pro SP2 (full legal OEM version, and updated to the hilt).

Zone Alarm Pro (full legal paid-for version, and updated to the hilt).

AVG Free Edition (updated daily, and scans daily).

SpyBot.

SpyWare Blaster.

WinPatrol (Google it if you don't know what it is...)

Er, that's it as regards relevant software M'Lud...

Ciao,

Gelert.

Thanks for your Appreciation. I as a beta tester have installed Ad-Aware 2007 Pro for the first time since the Beta. I think it has improved greatly since beta. The Ad-Watch works without any problems and finds and detects tracking cookies. What version did you have of 2007? There has been a new release today that fixes many of the problems.

Thanks for your Appreciation. I as a beta tester have installed Ad-Aware 2007 Pro for the first time since the Beta. I think it has improved greatly since beta. The Ad-Watch works without any problems and finds and detects tracking cookies. What version did you have of 2007? There has been a new release today that fixes many of the problems.

Version 11.0 showed up as being downloaded at 0700hrs (BST) 31/07/2007, with a scan at 0800hrs (BST) 31/07/07...and then I scanned with a re-installed AdAware SE (after deleting AdAware 2007) at approximately 1930hrs (BST) 31/07/07...and that's when I found all of the cookies.

If the timing's bad (i.e. a PC Restart was necessary to completely install AdAware 2007 updates, but then again I got no info on that), then apologies. But I simply cannot trust AdAware 2007 any longer. Sorry.

I'll revisit this forum from time-to-time, and when the numbers of complaints drop, then I'll know that most of the bugs have been found.

Until then...Good Luck.

Ciao,

Gelert.

Thanks, if you want I can update you on all of the latest Ad-Aware news and updates?

Thanks, if you want I can update you on all of the latest Ad-Aware news and updates?

Really? That's more than anyone at Lavasoft has offered to do. In all honesty, I gave up on 2007 several weeks ago and reinstalled SE Plus. The folks at Lavasoft have known about the Ad-Watch bugs for well over a month now, but have done nothing to resolve the problems -- or, at the very least, to inform users about upcoming fixes. They took a good thing and broke it, and now have left their customers high and dry.

Sorry not to have responded sooner, SpySentinel:

Yes I am keeping tabs on this forum on a daily basis, and therefore I can monitor how AdAware 2007 is proceeding. So "Thanks" but "No Thanks".

And AdAware SE Plus (including Ad-Watch) is still performing as well as it always used to - ZERO cookies and/or infections since its re-installation 31 July 2007.

Just an idea: Simply stick an Automatic Update Scheduler and an Automatic Scan Scheduler on the front of SE Plus and call it AdAware 2007 Build Beta2...at least then you'll know that it works...er, assuming that these bolt-on schedulers would work :unsure:

Thanks anyway for the offer.

Ciao,

Gelert.

Sign in to follow this