• Announcements

• LS.Andy

Support for other products than adaware, ad block, web protection and Web Companion   05/05/2017

Support for the following products is handled by the Lavasoft support team: Lavasoft Tuneup Kit Lavasoft PC Optimizer Lavasoft Driver Updater Lavasoft Registry Tuner Lavasoft Privacy Toolbox Lavasoft File Shredder Lavasoft Digital Lock

For help with these products, contact the support team here: http://www.lavasoft.com/support/supportcenter/

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gazania

Can't Download New Version Of Adaware At All

30 posts in this topic

I've just spent the good part of the last hour trying to download the newest version of AdAware. I deleted the old version, as instructed, but when I try to download the new version, I either get nothing at all, a "this file is protected" warning (when I try to save the file and open the exe), or a Trojan Downloader Virus warning (from my AVG). AVG then automatically moves the file to the Virus Vault.

I've tried using CNET, MajorGeeks and FileHippo. If I run the file, it just disappears. Nothing happens.

I've tried to turn off the firewall and AVG and saved the file to a folder. When I put AVG back on, I get the "Infected" indication and the automatic move. I have AVG on my other computer as well, and had no problems at all with the newest version of AdAware. It's only on this computer. I use Windows firewall on both computers. AVG claims the Trojan name is Downloader Generic5.PIO, and it's in my Temp files. Of course, neither Google nor AVG have anything about this.

The only thing that worked was to re-download the old pre-2007 AdAware and force a manual update. But I would think that sometime in the future, that won't be possible.

What could be blocking the update on this computer? Do you know of any particular programs that are causing trouble? As far as I know, I don't have anything on this computer that is different from the programs on the other one!

I just got this same message today, although I already had ad aware 2007 installed, I figured uninstalling and reinstalling would get rid of it, however it did not...

When trying to reinstall I ran into exactly what you did.. except I can manually choose to ignore, send to vault, or remove

Trojan Horse Downloader.Generic5.PIO

so of coarse I chose not install it (adaware2007).. but I would really like to have my adaware 2007 back... it seemed to remove a good bit when I ran it.... seemed like a useful tool

I've been trying to research this and like you have found nothing....

anyone?

Edited by Castle

I just got this same message today, although I already had ad aware 2007 installed, I figured uninstalling and reinstalling would get rid of it, however it did not...

When trying to reinstall I ran into exactly what you did.. except I can manually choose to ignore, send to vault, or remove

Trojan Horse Downloader.Generic5.PIO

so of coarse I chose not install it (adaware2007).. but I would really like to have my adaware 2007 back... it seemed to remove a good bit when I ran it.... seemed like a useful tool

I've been trying to research this and like you have found nothing....

anyone?

I am having the exact same issue. only I have been at it all afternoon.

Me too, I've been working on the thing for most of the afternoon. AVG is detecting the same trojan horse on my machine. I reformatted about a week ago and when I reinstalled Ad-aware it had the new look. I have been running things as usual and then today AVG detected the same Trojan. It seemed that the source was the downloaded Ad-Aware.exe file that I failed to delete after the install. I got the same security warning as soon as I opened the folder to locate the file and deleted it. So then, I went back to Lavasoft and downloaded the Ad-Aware.exe again to see what would happen. Same security warning. I currently have the 2007 version installed. I use AVG apps as well, wonder if there is some sort of conflict? Though I don't know why it would look like a trojan to Ad-Aware. Sure hope we can get to the bottom of this

Hi all,

Thanks for reporting this. Sounds like AVG is producing a false postive. I'm downloading the 2007 version from Download.com right now and will check it out for you.

If you're desperate to install it, you could temporarily de-active the on-access scanner and switch it back on when you're done. It's only the installer getting flagged, no parts of the installed program are affected.

I have sent the file and reported this false positive to AVG. We will have to wait for them to respond and hope to resolve this issue as quickly as possible

fostertom and I am not Eva,

Your problems are not related to the ones reported by the original topic starter. I'm going to move your posts into your own new topic and then I'll come back and post a link to them here.

fostertom: Your topic is Here (click this link to follow it)

I am not EVA: Your topic is Here (click this link to follow it)

Update:

This has been confirmed a FALSE DETECTION by AVG/Grisoft

This will be fixed in their next update!

Here is the email I just received from them:

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, August 10, 2007 9:02 AM

Subject: AVG Technical support

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email.

The file that you sent us is a false detection. It will be removed from

detection in today´s AVG update.

Thank you for your cooperation. It is highly appreciated.

Best regards,

Pavel Durdak

AVG Technical Support

I had same results today (8/10/07) BUT not yesterday?! . .what is with all these false positives . .the NEW AdAware PLUS 2007 seems to be loaded with 'stuff' .. are we being used as guinea pigs? .. I had downloaded AdAware Plus LONG ago . .kept it as backup . found it both in 'setup' and system restore . removed all .. AND .. AND .. NO downloads/updates ... latest update that SHOWS is 7/23 . yet, LOG shows 7/31 . .I dunno . this IS a good product . I DO pay for it .. but an awful lot of trouble for 'to me' 'not ready for prime time' proggie . was perfectly happy with AdAware SE (also paid for) .. :D :D

I've just spent the good part of the last hour trying to download the newest version of AdAware. I deleted the old version, as instructed, but when I try to download the new version, I either get nothing at all, a "this file is protected" warning (when I try to save the file and open the exe), or a Trojan Downloader Virus warning (from my AVG). AVG then automatically moves the file to the Virus Vault.

I've tried using CNET, MajorGeeks and FileHippo. If I run the file, it just disappears. Nothing happens.

I've tried to turn off the firewall and AVG and saved the file to a folder. When I put AVG back on, I get the "Infected" indication and the automatic move. I have AVG on my other computer as well, and had no problems at all with the newest version of AdAware. It's only on this computer. I use Windows firewall on both computers. AVG claims the Trojan name is Downloader Generic5.PIO, and it's in my Temp files. Of course, neither Google nor AVG have anything about this.

The only thing that worked was to re-download the old pre-2007 AdAware and force a manual update. But I would think that sometime in the future, that won't be possible.

What could be blocking the update on this computer? Do you know of any particular programs that are causing trouble? As far as I know, I don't have anything on this computer that is different from the programs on the other one!

Hi All,

If you have AVG Anti-Virus installed in your PC and it prompts something like ".....ignore, send to vault, or remove.....Trojan Horse Downloader.Generic5.PIO" you need to disable the anti-virus system (for software installation), this usually means disabling the OnAccess scanner. (The AVG Resident Shield). Please open the AVG Control Center program -> double-click on the "AVG Resident Shield" component -> deselect the "Turn on AVG Resident Shield" checkmark and save the setting. When you need to enable the AVG Resident Shield, just open the AVG Control Center program -> double-click on the "AVG Resident Shield" component -> select the "Turn on AVG Resident Shield" checkmark and save the setting.

Please bear in mind that the AVG Resident Shield is the first line of defense against infection. When it is disabled, it is possible to execute infected files and infect your computer. Please re-enable the AVG Resident Shield after your installation is complete. :rolleyes:

I had same results today (8/10/07) BUT not yesterday?! . .what is with all these false positives . .(

That false positive is AVG's fault/problem, not ours. There is nothing wrong with the installer and it is not infected. AVG will correct this in their next update.

That false positive is AVG's fault/problem, not ours. There is nothing wrong with the installer and it is not infected. AVG will correct this in their next update.

OK . .I saw that they thanked you and would fix .. meanwhile .. deleted all that I had 'stored' .. BUT .. I just tried to d/l updates .. None . .then said 'there are updates .. do you want them?' . YES .. downloaded something for AdWatch (THINK) .. still says latest downloads are from 7/23/07 .. HUH? ..

thank you

OK . .I saw that they thanked you and would fix .. meanwhile .. deleted all that I had 'stored' .. BUT .. I just tried to d/l updates .. None . .then said 'there are updates .. do you want them?' . YES .. downloaded something for AdWatch (THINK) .. still says latest downloads are from 7/23/07 .. HUH? ..

thank you

Folks,

Please clarify something for me.

I thought, thanks to Calamity Jane, that I could go on about my business now that the 17.32 MB Downloader.Generic5.PIO has been ID'd as a false positive. However, your post indicates that I should delete all Lavasoft AdAware 2007 updates in order to be safe.

I'm eager to learn your advice. Thank you in advance.

Folks,

Please clarify something for me.

I thought, thanks to Calamity Jane, that I could go on about my business now that the 17.32 MB Downloader.Generic5.PIO has been ID'd as a false positive. However, your post indicates that I should delete all Lavasoft AdAware 2007 updates in order to be safe.

I'm eager to learn your advice. Thank you in advance.

I think I would listen to Calamity Jane on that! .. had I checked here first would NOT have deleted it .. JMHO:)

Let me see if I can help with those latest questions and maybe explain a little bit how this works.

AVG had an update yesterday that detected our installer file (aaw2007.exe) as a trojan. This was a false detection and they were notified and saw the error and will fix it. But you will need to wait for AVG to post their next update which should no longer detect our file as a trojan.

I have just seen someone post to another board that indeed, there is a new update today for AVG. If you all running AVG would update that program (not ours) and then it should no longer detect our installer as infected.

Let me know, please?

It was my understanding the the only file AVG was falsely identifying as a trojan was our installer for Ad-aware 2007. This would not affect our updates to our program.

What you need to do is update AVG and make sure that program is no longer detecting any Ad-Aware files as infected.

AVG just updated .

BUT why does Ad Aware PLUS not show latesst updates? .. still says 7/31/07 .. log says 8/6/07 .. says you have latest . then says .. there are new updates do you want them? .. what is going on? ..

My Scan today was clean ..

Thank you ..

Let me see if I can help with those latest questions and maybe explain a little bit how this works.

AVG had an update yesterday that detected our installer file (aaw2007.exe) as a trojan. This was a false detection and they were notified and saw the error and will fix it. But you will need to wait for AVG to post their next update which should no longer detect our file as a trojan.

I have just seen someone post to another board that indeed, there is a new update today for AVG. If you all running AVG would update that program (not ours) and then it should no longer detect our installer as infected.

Let me know, please?

It was my understanding the the only file AVG was falsely identifying as a trojan was our installer for Ad-aware 2007. This would not affect our updates to our program.

What you need to do is update AVG and make sure that program is no longer detecting any Ad-Aware files as infected.

I got the same problem when AVG scanned earlier today and when I quit AVG, it deleted my saved copy of aaw2007.exe. Then I checked AVG for update and there was a new update available. I updated AVG; downloaded another copy of aaw2007.exe; and scanned with the updated AVG. AVG no longer found a problem with aaw2007.exe. Problem apparently solved.

I updated AVG; downloaded another copy of aaw2007.exe; and scanned with the updated AVG. AVG no longer found a problem with aaw2007.exe. Problem apparently solved.

Thanks 243r for verifying :rolleyes:

Thanks 243r for verifying :)

Additional verification and new information:

I, too, got the AVG update and when re-scanning the same files aaw2007.exe

AVG finally stopped calling it Trojan horse Downloader.Generic5.PIO.

However, when I went to the AVG vault to "restore files" it had kidnapped

(meaning aaw2007.exe) while it "restored" copies, I guess, of the file, it

still kept a copy inside the virus vault, identified as Trojan horse Downloader.Generic5.PIO.

So while I am grateful to have the aaw2007.exe file accessible again, I don't know

why AVG still has the need to have a copy of it in the vault labelled as a Trojan

horse.

Repeat: The restore file function WORKED. The aaw2007.exe is no longer being

removed by AVG. I have written them as a customer complaining since this

is AVG's 3rd false positive in as many months. Thanks.

Hi nobodyz,

Thank you for the confirmation and additional info.

I'm glad you reported it to them, as I know they will appreciate the feedback and will probably try to do something about the number of false postives.

I have to say in AVG's defense that:

1. False postives (or false detections) can and do happen in any security program. The sheer volumes of new malware coming out daily is huge and therefore there are more mistakes can be made. Most security product companies have a method for you to report (or investigate) suspect false detections.

2. They did respond quite promptly to our report and for that we are grateful. I used the same method to report a false postive as they have posted here in their forums:

YOU SUSPECT A FILE TO BE A FALSE POSITIVE

http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php...0,backpage=,sv=

Anyone can submit a suspect file and I would encourage anyone who has a detection by any program (including ours) that belongs to another program that you know you have had for a while and that you trust to check it out first by submitting it to the company for analysis.

That way they can examine the file and determine if this is, indeed, a false detection, they can then fix it ASAP.

I can assure you that NO security company likes having false positives and we all want them corrected as soon as possible so the users reporting these really helps us all.

Likewise, should our program, Ad-Aware ever detect a file that you think might be a false detection, we encourage you to report it to OUR research team here:

False Positives

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showforum=93

ok, please don't be impatient with me, I do understand that this is a false positive but I don't understand what it is doing - I have pasted the series of actions appearing in the virus vault. The first instance of aaw2007.exe had already been installed and I had not yet removed the download. The third is the same file that I downloaded again as an experiment to assess the validity of the alert. Why does the fourth instance appear from system volume information instead of documents and settings.

Trojan horse Downloader.Generic5.PIO

c:\documents and settings \cat\desktop\aaw2007.exe

c:\documents and settings \cat\local settings\temp\9ff198uf.exe

c:\documents and settings \cat\desktop\aaw2007.exe

c:\System Volume information\_restore{6D1D403B-E5C7-4E7B-A455-4190EE90FBE2}\RP14\A0002688.exe

This is all so confusing to me- if someone would please be so kind as to explain how to interpret this information, I would be so very grateful.

Thank you for your kind consideration

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0