Sign in to follow this  
jimd

McAfee recommends removal of SE Plus

I've recently installed McAfee VirusScan 2006 v10.0. While this program should automatically load on start-up and display a red "M" in the toolbar, a black "M" is displayed and indicates that the McAfee VirusScan is disabled. McAfee's solution is to untinstall SE Plus. How can I keep SE Plus yet have VirusScan load and run on start-up? Thanks.

Hi, jimd.

I suspect that you have the Ad-Watch blocking action "Lock Startup Section" checked and have Ad-Watch set to "Automatic". Please do the following:

1. Right-click on the Ad-Watch icon in the system tray.
  2. Select "Restore Ad-Watch"
  3. Turn off (red cross) "automatic"
  4. Disconnect from the Internet
  5. Exit McAfee VirusScan and restart McAfee
  6. Click "Accept" to the Ad-Watch alarm(s).

I personally recommend keeping "automatic" turned off. IMO, it is worth the extra clicks to accept changes when installing software and be in control of changes you wish made to your computer. If you are not installing a software and Ad-Watch prompts you with the change, you will be able to investigate that caused that alert.

Let us know if you have any problems with this.

Hi, jimd.

I suspect that you have the Ad-Watch blocking action "Lock Startup Section" checked and have Ad-Watch set to "Automatic". Please do the following:

1. Right-click on the Ad-Watch icon in the system tray.
  2. Select "Restore Ad-Watch"
  3. Turn off (red cross) "automatic"
  4. Disconnect from the Internet
  5. Exit McAfee VirusScan and restart McAfee
  6. Click "Accept" to the Ad-Watch alarm(s).

I personally recommend keeping "automatic" turned off. IMO, it is worth the extra clicks to accept changes when installing software and be in control of changes you wish made to your computer. If you are not installing a software and Ad-Watch prompts you with the change, you will be able to investigate that caused that alert.

Let us know if you have any problems with this.

Corrine,

I did as you had advised in this post and still have a black M. The message the McAfee diagnostic tool is giving is:

McAfee VirusScan Support Tool - BlackM Version 1.0.0.1

Copyright © McAfee Inc. 2005

1:08:39 PM Sunday, July 02, 2006

Analysis (conditions are satisfied):

Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Plus is present.

This tool detected the following problem with VirusScan on your system:

Category: VirusScan Black M icon

Subcategory: Lavasoft software found.

Solution:

(1) Uninstall Ad-Aware SE Plus.

(2) Run VsCleanup.exe;

(3) Restart system;(4) Reinstall VirusScan.

Please manually complete all solution steps.

Do you have any other suggestion?

Did you receive any alerts from Ad-Watch when you restarted McAfee VirusScan?

Yes, I did. I accepted all of the alerts as well.

These kind of conflicts do occur with security applications due to the fact that they are looking for the same signatures. The way around it is to accept the warnings from Ad-Watch, and add McAfee to the ignore list if it appears in a scan

McAfee should not be recommending the removal of Ad-Aware as the ignore list function resolves this problem.

Thanks

//Steve

McAfee should not be recommending the removal of Ad-Aware as the ignore list function resolves this problem.

I agree. It is very unprofessional on their part.

what is really strange about this, is that I have received no notification from them as to the problem...but I will get in contact with them and try to straighten this out...

Thanks

//Steve

Just got this from a friend:

An update appeared for my McAfee subscription..but told me AdAware was "incompatable"..it would not install unless I removed it. If I checked "skip" - it rolled back the entire installation.

Wonder why?

post-65-1154198155_thumb.jpg

An interesting situation that is becoming more common unfortunately.

There have been reports that Ad-Aware shuts down McAfee's scanning services, causing VirusScan and AntiSpyware to crash. In fairness, McAfee targets certain of Ad-Aware SE's files, and most of us suggest those files be added to the McAfee whitelist.

This seems to be happening more frequently now that the anti-virus vendors are incorporating anti-spyware databases into their definitions. As a result, conflicts are occuring when both are run. Even some firewall companies are getting into the anti-spyware battle, so the situation will only get worse in the short run. Sometimes "more' isn't 'better'.

What happens is that the various applications are looking for the same malware that Ad-Aware SE is seeking out. When this happens, a malware signature in a real time monitor can make the monitor itself look malicious.

Ad-Aware injects itself into processes when it scans. It seems that McAfee does not allow the injection, and the Ad-Aware process cannot recover from that.

You might try this possible solution. UNCHECK "Always try to unload modules before deletion" within Ad-Aware SE. Next, when the scan is completed, select any McAfee processes in the list and add them to the Ignore List.

This should enable McAfee and Ad-Aware SE to play 'nice' with each other.

Launch Ad-Aware SE and check for updates. Next click on the gear to access the Configuration Menu. Click on Tweak > Cleaning Engine > UNcheck "Always try to unload modules before deletion".

Run a full system scan with Ad-Aware SE.

Select the objects you want to add to the ignore list in the Scan Summary, Critical Objects, or Negligible Objects lists on the Scanning Results screen.

Right click and select "Add selected to ignore list"

A pop-up window showing the number of objects that will be added to the ignore list opens. Click "OK" to continue.

The object is now added to the Ignore List. Run a new scan to select the remaining objects to be quarantined.

What's happening is that it is actually blocking the installation!

I've had something similar happen with KAV - it would NOT install until I removed my other software. Not just disable but REMOVE. I find that unacceptable. Went with an AV that would let me choose what I want to run in addition to my resident software.

Just downloaded this "upgrade" ...and uninstalled it already, for the same reasons Janie described above. I want to be the one who chooses what I want installed on my system in addition to my A/V.

It simply would not install the upgrade without removing Ad-Aware...

Now...I can't go back to the older McAfee version :)

Have notified McAfee of my discontent because I deem this extremely unacceptable.

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=84570

This happens when you try to install the new release of McAfee's products. It seems to help when you uninstall lavasoft first and then install Mcafee's program(s) and reinstall lavasoft again. Not the best workaround, but still... see also: I want ad-aware back! at the McAfee forum.

Uninstalling Ad-Aware SE Personal isn't as much of a problem as is caused by customers uninstalling Plus or Pro -- and then finding they don't have the file to reinstall and cannot find the information needed to download again.

I repeat -- very unprofessional of McAfee.

Uninstalling Ad-Aware SE Personal isn't as much of a problem as is caused by customers uninstalling Plus or Pro -- and then finding they don't have the file to reinstall and cannot find the information needed to download again.

Go to the UK McAfee site and download the "old" McAfee--still available there-it recognizes you as a subscriber. Then redownload your Ad-Aware SE Personal. It only took me about 3 hours and visits to various message boards to figure all of this out. However, it is unprofessional of them to require people to uninstall a product they paid for.

I don't have so much confidence in McAfee now, though (because their "update" didn't work), and I seem to be in some sort of a loop of "automatic" renewal using my credit card--doesn't appear to be easily "turned off" by changing the account information online. I suppose it would take a phone call to a number not easily found.

Hi Corrine,

Totally agree with you. We, moderators, are trying to get some answers/solutions from McAfee. But so far... It's not only Lavasoft but also ZoneAlarm...

I did not accept the upgrade, as I wanted to read it about it first. I discovered the AAW issue at McAfee's forum, then elsewhere. Am I to believe, if I currently use the free version, I won't have a problem? That Ad-Watch is responsible for causing the conflict? (Or McAfee, depending upon how you look at it! :) ) I didn't want to run into problems, in the first place. I'm still looking to avoid them. Hence.. my reason for asking.

'Unprofessional' to say the very least!

Any input would be greatly appreciated..

Carol

Hi, Carol. If you use ZoneAlarm as a firewall, you may want to hold off updating until the problem is resolved. It appears from Jubo's post that users have run into problems with both Ad-Aware and ZoneAlarm.

Are your McAfee definition files being updated?

Hi Corrine..

I also utilize McAfee's Firewall, so ZA shouldn't be a problem. The files updated correctly today. I got the notification for the upgrade after the definitions installed. That's when I opted to 'continue what I was doing'. Whether or not, I'm given the option tomorrow , I don't know. It's my understanding, if I want it, I would have to d/l it from their website. (After all I've read, I'm not really in the "experimenting mode" at the moment.) To the best of your present knowledge, do you think I will run into a problem with AAW?

Thanks for your speedy reply..

Carol

Am I to believe, if I currently use the free version, I won't have a problem?

No,this McAfee issue affects all versions of Ad-Aware, free or paid :P

I'm thinking for the ZoneLabs question here, it is the ZoneAlarm Security Suite. I've run into that one before in another forum. (so not just the firewall standalone?) Someone correct me if I am wrong

No,this McAfee issue affects all versions of Ad-Aware, free or paid :P

Thank you, Jane. I figured as much, but had hoped I was wrong. :D I'm amazed by the fact, they expect people to uninstall a perfectly good program!! At this point, it may be their's which will be uninstalled.

Thanks again..

Carol

Sign in to follow this