Sign in to follow this  
jimd

McAfee recommends removal of SE Plus

Hi, jimd.

I suspect that you have the Ad-Watch blocking action "Lock Startup Section" checked and have Ad-Watch set to "Automatic". Please do the following:

1. Right-click on the Ad-Watch icon in the system tray.
  2. Select "Restore Ad-Watch"
  3. Turn off (red cross) "automatic"
  4. Disconnect from the Internet
  5. Exit McAfee VirusScan and restart McAfee
  6. Click "Accept" to the Ad-Watch alarm(s).

I personally recommend keeping "automatic" turned off. IMO, it is worth the extra clicks to accept changes when installing software and be in control of changes you wish made to your computer. If you are not installing a software and Ad-Watch prompts you with the change, you will be able to investigate that caused that alert.

Let us know if you have any problems with this.

Thanks, Skip.

Could you please tell me whether what you refer to as the sytem tray is the same thing as the system properties? I do not see and Ad-watch in my computer's system properties area, if the sytem tray is the same. I will keep looking while I wait for a response.

Kellie

Kellie..

There should be an Ad-Watch icon, to the bottom right of your computer, near where you see the clock. I believe that's what's being referred to. I don't use the paid version of AAW, but if you do, the Ad-Watch should be there if it's enabled. Does that help?

Carol

Hi, Kellie. The system tray is the bottom right corner of your desktop where the clock and other icons appear.

Another way to launch Ad-Watch is from Ad-Aware SE: Simply launch Ad-Aware SE and click on the magnifying glass icon on the top of the window or Ad-Watch from the menu on the right side.

Edit Note: You were just a bit faster, Carol. :D

In Mike Healon's August 29, 2006, Spyware Weekly Newsletter:

I cannot find a reasonable explanation for this behavior. All I have found are numerous reports that, when McAfee's installer/updater spots software from at least three of their competitors, it tells the user to delete it before it will continue.

Of course, I have drawn a few conclusions of my own, but I will keep those to myself for the moment. Whatever their reasons are for this behavior, I think McAfee owes an explanation to their customers. Software from one company should not demand the removal of software from a competitor without a very good reason. McAfee customers around the world, no doubt, would like to hear that explanation.

McAfee, anything to say for yourself?

Complete Article: Bad McAfee! Be Nice To The Other Kids!

Edited by LS CalamityJane
Fixed outdated URL

Thanks to AplusWebMaster for the heads up!

- http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=89522

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:06 pm

"Here are the version numbers for the core components:

Security Center: 7.0.329

Firewall: 8.0.203

Privacy Service: 9.0.382

Spam Killer: 8.0.239

VirusScan: 11.0.213

The patch will be delivered to everyone who has the new software installed as an automatic update. You can trigger the update by right-clicking on the McAfee icon and selecting "Updates" (or by hitting the Update button in the Security Center)...

Issues addressed in the patch:

...- Several products that were previously marked as incompatible will no longer be flagged (this includes Ad Aware) ..."

And thank you, Corrine, for your heads up! As usual, I will wait a bit, before d/l Version 11. That would be waiting for .. the "dust to settle"! It surely won't hurt. Between what happened with AAW and now SiteAdvisor, I'm beginning to be somewhat disconcerted with McAfee. Best I leave it at that. ;)

Thanks again..

Carol

You're welcome, Carol. I don't blame you for holding off. I just hope McAfee got it right this time. As to Site Advisor, McAfee needs to study up on a little feature called the "white list".

Seems as though, they've "studied up" quite quickly with TCF. :rolleyes: It too is now back to "Green". They should be doing their own homework, without waiting for people to "yell and scream" (IMHO) Hopefully, they will 'get it right' with SA too! My last 2¢ ... ;)

It's my understanding that the latest version of McAfee has resolved the issues previously reported. You should be able to install it without having to uninstall Ad-Aware.

It's my understanding that the latest version of McAfee has resolved the issues previously reported. You should be able to install it without having to uninstall Ad-Aware.

It's great to hear that the latest version of McAfee has resolved previously reported issues. For my too simple brain, could you let me know what version of McAfee you are noting? Do you mean the "just released" version?

Thanks!

Mike

Hi Mike,

I don't keep up with the latest version numbers for McAfee, but it was announced in their forum on Aug 30th that a patch had been released to resolve the issue with Ad-Aware (other things were resolved in that patch as well). There may be newer versions than this, so best to check with McAfee on the latest.

The patch has been released: Aug. 30th

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=89522

Here are the version numbers for the core components:

Security Center: 7.0.329

Firewall: 8.0.203

Privacy Service: 9.0.382

Spam Killer: 8.0.239

VirusScan: 11.0.213

The patch will be delivered to everyone who has the new software installed as an automatic update. You can trigger the update by right-clicking on the McAfee icon and selecting "Updates" (or by hitting the Update button in the Security Center).

And in the list of things that were fixed in that patch was:

- Several products that were previously marked as incompatible will no longer be flagged (this includes Ad Aware)

Well, I did eventually go out and buy the Virus Sca Plus, yesterday. McAfee 2007. It has virus scan and personal firewall plus Anti Spy.

It still states that Ad-Aware must be removed!

Anti Spy seems to do what Ad-Aware does, so maybe it's that it would conflict if you ran both. What do you think?

I still have spy sweeper and spybot so hopefully, I'm covered enough.

No, Ad-Aware is a completely different antispyware program separate from McAfee.

They issued a patch on Aug 30

See this post in the McAfee Help Forums:

The patch has been released: Aug. 30th

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=89522

That may not have hit the retail stores copies perhaps?

Hi, this situation is getting out of control - My father has just purchased a new Packard Bell PC pre-loaded with Ad-Aware SE Plus and even after unistalling the Ad-Aware software he is not able to load the Mcafee 10-in-1 Total Protection software he has just purchased for £60.00!! I have spoken with Mcafee and the transcript is below. They explained that some part of Ad-Aware must be still present on the PC which is absolutely boll$*ks given that I have searched the registry and found no entries and why should Mcafee dictate what software I choose to use!! Having been a loyal customer of Mcafee for the last 3 years I can see no alterantive but to say fcuk them and go with another software provider - I will not be dictated to as to what applications I choose to install and the comments earlier on in the thread relating to Mcafee removing checks againt Ad-Aware are clearly not true!!

Please wait while we find a technician to assist you...

You have been connected to Victor Cooper.

Victor Cooper: Julian, thank you for contacting McAfee Technical Support, your reference number for this session is 20679513. How may I assist you today?

Julian Booth: Hi Victor, my father has just purchased a new Packard Bell PC and your 10-in-1 Total Protection software. He has tried to install but keeps getting the error message Ad-Aware SE Plus has to be removed. This software was bundled with the new PC and he has removed it but is still getting the same error message - can you offer any suggestions please?

Victor Cooper: Julian, to make sure I understand, you are getting message to remove Ad Aware SE while installing McAfee Total Protection. Is this correct?

Julian Booth: yes bang on

Victor Cooper: Have you previously contacted McAfee support regarding this issue?

Julian Booth: no - he only purchased the software today

Victor Cooper: Do you have Ad Aware in Add/Remove program?

Julian Booth: No - I've checked and can see no related entries to Ad-Aware

Julian Booth: There is nothing in start-up, no Ad-Aware progs are running and I've checked for entries in the XP registry and cannot find any!!

Victor Cooper: Julian,. it seems that there are still some files of Ad Aware on your computer which are detected by McAfee program.

Victor Cooper: Please contact either the program vendor or computer vendor to remove the files from computer.

Julian Booth: Yes that could be - Packard Bell use a restore facility that they keep on the hard drive approx 8Gb to allow users the ability to restore back to point of purchase but there must be something in the registry to stop your software loading

Victor Cooper: Is there anything else that I can do to assist you with your McAfee products today?

Julian Booth: Yes - why does your software not install when I've paid £60.00 to purchase it and Ad-Aware is a free throw-away bit of programming?

Victor Cooper: Julian, Ad Aware is conflicting while instllation as McAfee VirusScan have inbuilt AntiSpyware program.

Victor Cooper: Two Security programs can not be run on same computer.

Julian Booth: Yes I know that but have you any suggestions on what could be stopping your software installing?

Julian Booth: Ad-Aware has been removed and the registry is clean - your software is the problem

Victor Cooper: Julian, there are still some files left on computer, please contact the program vendor to remove the files.

Julian Booth: I'm a loyal Mcafee user and have recommended your product to many people including my father in this instance - I do not accept that any traces of Ad-Aware exist on his PC - are you able to remotely test?

Victor Cooper: I feel apologetic to the inconvenience you have experienced in this regard.

Victor Cooper: I assure you of your importance as our customer and that your satisfaction is our prime responsibility.

Julian Booth: I fully appreciate you are apologetic but how can you help me please?

Victor Cooper: Julian, as it is detected while installation then there could be some files still on computer which are detected by McAfee program.

Julian Booth: Ok this is going no-where - I will try and contact the Ad-Aware support team as clearly you are not either capable of helping me or don't have sufficient knowledge

Victor Cooper: I would like to ensure you're satisfied with the support I have offered. Is there anything else I may do to assist you with your McAfee products today?

Julian Booth: Victor you have not offered any support at all - you have just shunted the problem onto me and expect me to resolve it - thanks I will try another course of action

Sign in to follow this