Sign in to follow this  
Smirnoff

Aawtray Application

Downloaded both software and file definition updates today. I notice that I now have AAWTray Application listed in my Start Up Programs. What is this please?

Some posters say that an AAW icon continually appears in their system tray, even after they have removed it from start up programs using third-party software.

Others say the icon appears but it's greyed out.

Unlike these posters, I do not see ANY icon in my system tray, whether Ad-Aware is running or not.

At first i thought it may be something to do with auto updates but that still doesn't work.

I do not have Ad-Aware configured to run at start up.

So again, what is the purpose of this please?

Smirnoff, everyone who updated has the problem. I have it on both my PCs running PLUS and PRO. :)

LS will be aware of all the posts regarding this. :D

Edited by Pierre67

Smirnoff, everyone who updated has the problem. I have it on both my PCs running PLUS and PRO. :unsure:

LS will be aware of all the posts regarding this. :D

Yes, I realise that now. I spoke too soon about not seeing the tray icon. Although I removed it from start up using EasyCleaner, as soon as I had to reboot, there it was.

If "hidding" the icon in your SysTray is still not enough for you, you can always use TaskManager to end the process (no harm). Of course that's only good until the next re-boot, but it does get rid of a process in memory. Hope LS gets a fix out for this soon!!! :)

Finally gave up on AdAware2007 and have uninstalled it and all of its traces. First the bloat, then the continuing problems with the updating. The final straw is the posting of a completely nonfunctional icon in the systray. So far as I could tell, it performed no function at all. Even though ity could be deleted with Task Manager and removed from start up, it persisted. I do not like intrusive programs that do things without my knowledge. So, goodbye Lavasoft after all these years.

An update has been released, so that the icon only appears in the sys-tray when a scheduled scan is running (AAW2007 Plus & Pro).

Regards,

Spike

Greetings...

Running Ad-Aware 2007 Plus v 7.0.2.3

I've run the free Ad-Aware SE for years. No problems. Still running on the other system (win2000 sp4)

Tried the new 2007 free and wanted control of what files were scanned so I paid to get that functionality back.

(the logic I use goes: let the program scan everything once and if nothing is found in certain folders that don't

change - I watch that, too - don't scan those folders again next time and save some processing)

Notice I've kept it updated too.

I've read some here but don't see exactly what occurs on my WinXP sp2 system.

Somehow a scan has been scheduled... I didn't do it and no scheduled scans show in the GUI. At boot time AAWtray starts and that little green globe spins constantly as long as the system is up. Has a tooltip "Sceduled scan in process..." Right-click gives

"Abort Scheduled Scan" but doesn't abort anything, the little globe keeps spinning.

The Ad-Aware service is set to Manual and starts itself. Stopping it does not stop the spinning globe.

According to Windows Task Manager...

...using 0 CPU

... Mem usage a constant 2424K

Only killing AAWTray process stops the spinning globe... but the tray icon remains until you unhide and hide inactive

icons. That's a good trick.

GeekyMonk is Dale P.

Hi Dale,

Should you be unable to delete a scheduled task, you can manually remove it by following these steps:

• 1. Go to the start menu, click 'Run...' and type 'services.msc'
  • 2. in the services window, locate 'Ad-Aware 2007 Service', select it and click 'Stop'
  • 3. when the service is stopped, navigate to the folder
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007
  • 4. Remove the file called 'schedule.aaw'
  • 5. Restart the service through 'services.msc' and then restart Ad-Aware 2007

Regards,

Spike

Hi Dale,

Should you be unable to delete a scheduled task, you can manually remove it by following these steps:

• 1. Go to the start menu, click 'Run...' and type 'services.msc'
  • 2. in the services window, locate 'Ad-Aware 2007 Service', select it and click 'Stop'
  • 3. when the service is stopped, navigate to the folder
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007
  • 4. Remove the file called 'schedule.aaw'
  • 5. Restart the service through 'services.msc' and then restart Ad-Aware 2007

Regards,

Spike

Saw this elsewhere. Got rid of schedule.aaw (seem to remember there not being one earlier <shrug>)

Service still stopped. Globe still spins. AAWtray still uses 0 CPU but occupies varying chunk of memory

(I've seen 2917 K as well as one reported in my orginal post)

Only way out is kill AAWtray. Maybe I'll try uninstall/reinstall routine sometime, but bet it comes back

once I update to ...3

GeekyMonk is Dale P.

Sign in to follow this