Sign in to follow this  
thestranger268

Ad-aware 7.0.2.1 Issue On Vista Ultimate X64

hi @ all

though the latest release of ad-aware should be working with vista, i'm not sure if this includes vista's 64-bit versions. i performed a full-system-scan or deep-analyis or however it's called and after about 3 hours not responding, i chose to eliminate the process. after that i performed a smart scan and had the same result. the problem occurs in the guid-scanning-part...

does anybody has a solution or knows my problem?

thx!

Hi thestranger268,

Past announcements from LS have always indicated that a 32-bit Vista compatible version would be available by 31st August, with the 64-bit Vista compatible version due out in"fouth quarter 2007" - ie: before Christmas...

However, to quote the LS Blog here, it states:

Ad-Aware Now Vista Compatible

If you’ve made the switch to Windows Vista, your favorite anti-spyware is now compatible to make sure you are protected against the latest security threats that will inevitably sneak into your computer…and into your life!

If you are an existing customer, simply open your existing Ad-Aware 2007 program and click on the ‘Web Update’ button in the menu to automatically update to the Vista-compatible version.

If your Vista Ultimate X64 is still experiencing problems, that may be the reason - I will alert the appropriate LS staff and ask for a clarification.

In the interim, some Vista users have posted that switching from Aero to Classic for the duration of a scan does the trick (this was before any Vista compatible version was released).

Regards,

Spike

The following comes from CastleCops (Mrlatin in AdAware forum) :

Installation ended prematurely because of an error

The solution for Vista64:

Start Menu -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Right Click on Command Prompt -> Run As Administrator.

Type “cd C:\Windows\SysWOW64"

Type regsvr32 vbscript.dll

If you don’t do Run as Administrator, the regsvr32 will fail.

Also, be careful to run the command in SysWOW64, not System32!

System32 on a 64-bit system actually contains the 64-bit system libraries.

The 32-bit versions are in SysWOW64.

The solution for Vista 32:

Start Menu -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Right Click on Command Prompt -> Run As Administrator.

Type “cd C:\Windows\System32"

Type regsvr32 vbscript.dll

If you don’t do Run as Administrator, the regsvr32 will fail.

No guarantee but it fixed a person's problem.

The following comes from CastleCops (Mrlatin in AdAware forum) :

No guarantee but it fixed a person's problem.

hey guys,

it still won't work with my vista ultimate x64. even the 2 work-arounds have no effect. as soon as the scanner reaches guid scanning it's over...hmkay, looks like i have to be a bit patient till ls releases the fully x64 compatible verison....

but thx anyway for your help!

I will try and hunt down another fix. Just check that you should now have AAW 2007 ver 7.0.2.2.

yeah, thanks for all your help ;)

i guess i'll wait till ls finally releases the vista x64 compatible 2007 version of ad-aware. spybot will have to keep my sys clean until then.

but anyway -> thank you :o

No problem and appreciate your thanks. You might try the free version of Superantispyware as well. It will do the job just as well. ;)