Sign in to follow this  
Brianandkath

Ssl Download Failed

I am using AdAware 2007 Free edition which was up to date as per two days ago. I am using Ashampoo Firewall which I have just installed and trialing. I have Windows XP SP2 - fully up to date. I use AVG Antivirus free edition.

Since installing Ashampoo firewall I cannot connect to Webupdate for your programme. I get the Error message "SSL downloasd failed." I have set the firewall to allow AdAware full access for LSUpdate, Adaware 2007 and Aawservice. I still get the error message. I have followed your instructions in the FAQs and switched off the firewall, no change I still get the message. I have switched off my Antivirus and still I get the message.

For your information all other programmes requiring internet access are being allowed by the firewall.

Any ideas please?

I think I might have sorted this issue. Due to the way I connect to the Internet I have to use a Proxy Server. I have set Ad-Aware to use this Proxy and it appears to work. However, I must wait until you have an update available to really try to confirm.

Why Ashampoo Firewall has caused this I really do not know. I have never had to set Ad-Aware this way in the past.

Fingers crossed!!

I have just downloaded the current definitions update successfully - but after it installed I got an Error Message "Service Error 6100. Lost contact with Ad-Aware Service. Terminating gracefully."

When I restarted Ad-Aware the definitions had indeed been updated. Question is, why the Error message?

:):D Fix for a lot of the SSL download Problems

this fix corrected the stalling down loads on my new Ad-aware 2007

It greatly speed up my ad-aware updates with no stalls and crashes

and it also fixed my Outlook Express SSL port 995 problems with large downloads.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323308

To override the no-cache directive for Internet Explorer 6 SP1 after you install MS04-004, follow these steps: 1. Start Registry Editor.

2. For a per-user setting, locate the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

For a per-computer setting, locate the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

3. On the Edit menu, click Add Value.

4. To override the directive for HTTPS connections, add the following registry value:

"BypassSSLNoCacheCheck"=Dword:00000001

To override the directive for HTTP connections, add the following registry value:

"BypassHTTPNoCacheCheck"=Dword:00000001

5. Quit Registry Editor.

David T

Hi Brianandkath,

I can't tell you why the error message still appears - in the initial beta-testing, when that message appeared, the Ad-Aware Service (aawservice.exe) had actually stopped. I had to manually restart the service before I could open AAW 2007 again.

This time when I received it recently, the service remained running and I simply reopened AW 2007 (as you did) and the definitions were indeed up-to-date.

It will be a glitch that the Devs will be aware of - I would hope that one of the future program updates will fix it.

Regards,

Spike

Thank you davidthew. I have read the MS Directive but think that it only refers to IE 6. I have IE7. although it states at the end of the Directive that it applies to IE7, and, as I am only experiencing this problem with Ad-Aware, I would rather wait until Ad-Aware produce a fix, rather than change my Registry at this time. But many thanks for your input.

Thanks also to you Spike. Should I always leave aawservice.exe set to automatic in Services? Or, set it to Manual? I did read somewhere that it only needs to be running automatically with Ad-Aware Plus or Pro.

You are correct that the real-time component (Ad-Watch) of the licensed AAW 2007 Plus/Pro versions requires that the service be running automatically, however I would leave aawservice.exe set to Automatic in AAW 2007 Free also, unless it is causing serious problems with your system resources.

Should you change it to Manual, you will have the hassle of starting, and then later stopping, the service every time that you wish to scan, update definitions, check for program updates etc.

Regards,

Spike

You are correct that the real-time component (Ad-Watch) of the licensed AAW 2007 Plus/Pro versions requires that the service be running automatically, however I would leave aawservice.exe set to Automatic in AAW 2007 Free also, unless it is causing serious problems with your system resources.

Should you change it to Manual, you will have the hassle of starting, and then later stopping, the service every time that you wish to scan, update definitions, check for program updates etc.

Regards,

Spike

Doesn't matter what you set it to. There are 3 threads running here on this theme, and I reckon what's happenining is that aawservice.exe is what's crashing during scans - see my thread

Sign in to follow this