Sign in to follow this  
tinman9898

How Do I Kill Aawservice.exe?

aawservice.exe is using 70 - 100% cpu with adaware closed. When I try to kill it it restarts. This is extremely annoying as my pc slows to a stop. Please advise me as to how I can prevent this service from running when my pc boots or how to kill it once the pc is running.

system details:

windows xp home

amd athlon 1800xp

1gb ram

160gb hdd

adaware 2007 free version

Also, I use commodo firewall and every so often it won't let adaware 2007 update. I have shut down the firewall to do this despite the firewall being set up to allow adaware access to the update server. Didn't have this problem with previous version of adaware. Also can we please have an update progress bar? At the moment you start the update and adaware just sits there. The only time you know the update is finished is when a wee box pops up.

Edited by tinman9898

Hi tinman9898,

If you are using one of the licensed versions of AAW2007 (Plus/Pro) then stopping "aawservice.exe" would kill the real-time protection of Ad-Watch.

However, if you are using the Free version, you can switch the service to Manual:

aaw2007___services.msc_1.gif

• Start > Run
  • Type "services.msc"
  • "Ad-Aware 2007 Service" will be at or close to the top of the list
  • Right click > Startup Type > Properties
  • Change "Startup Type" to "Manual"
  • Click Apply and OK
  • Close Services

aaw2007___services.msc_2.gif

Remember, you will have run "services.msc" to start and then stop "aawservice.exe" before and after each scan, or to check for either new Definitions or for Program Updates, which you may find a bit of a hassle - your choice.

Regards,

Spike

Hi tinman9898,

An update on the Service for you - please see this "pinned" Topic from LS Tobias: Software Updates

....With the release of version 7.0.2.3, we are happy to announce that the memory consumption of the Ad-Aware 2007 Service is vastly reduced whenever Ad-Aware 2007 is not running. We are sure you will appreciate the results!

Ad-Aware2007

- The service uses less resources when not scanning.

- Memory leaks fixed in core engine.

Regards,

Spike

Sign in to follow this