Sign in to follow this  
hoger

Crash When Scanning Opera Profile

Hi,

I'm running Ad-Aware 2007 on two different XP SP2 machines. Since the last update (last night), Ad-Aware keeps crashing when it tries to scan my Opera browser profile (smart scan): "Service Error: 6100 has occurred. Description: Lost connection with Ad-Aware service. Terminating gracefully …" This is new, has never happened before. Are these inter-Scandinavian animosities taken out on the customers? :huh: And what can I do about it?

Thanks for your help,

Hoger

i am having the same problem. ran a virus scan to make sure nothing was around to cause this, ran ccleaner to clear out cookies, etc. but neither had effect on the Ad-Aware scan.

sorry, I messed up my reply ^_^ . I had the same crash and I even reupgraded the system. This is frustrating. Anybody figured out this 6100 error. I got it on a full scan.

Thanks

B

sorry, I messed up my reply :wub: . I had the same crash and I even reupgraded the system. This is frustrating. Anybody figured out this 6100 error. I got it on a full scan.

Thanks

B

Nuts I cant even get the right smiley ^_^ Anyway anyone else get this error on full scan?

Hi,

I'm running Ad-Aware 2007 on two different XP SP2 machines. Since the last update (last night), Ad-Aware keeps crashing when it tries to scan my Opera browser profile (smart scan): "Service Error: 6100 has occurred. Description: Lost connection with Ad-Aware service. Terminating gracefully …" This is new, has never happened before. Are these inter-Scandinavian animosities taken out on the customers? ^_^ And what can I do about it?

Thanks for your help,

Hoger

Was the update you refer to the software update to 7.0.2.2?

Could you provide us with a screen shot of what the screen looks like when the crash appears? We need to establish where the crash occurs.

What version of Opera are you running?

Regards, Tobias

Was the update you refer to the software update to 7.0.2.2?

Could you provide us with a screen shot of what the screen looks like when the crash appears? We need to establish where the crash occurs.

Regards, Tobias

Thanks for your answer.

I'm running Opera 9.23 Revision 8808 under WinXP SP 2 with JRE 1.6. And yes, my current version of Ad-Aware is 7.0.2.2, so I suppose it was that software update. I didn't pay attention at the time of the update because I obviously did not expect a problem, but it was the last update I made.

The screenshots are attached. The first one is only the Windows error message, the second one is Ad-Aware's.

I hope this will help you; if you need any other info let me know, I'll be happy to help as best I can.

Hoger

post-37583-1190048048.gif

post-37583-1190048089.gif

Thank you for that info.

If you could get the crash dump that would be really helpful.

In the Windows error message, follow the link to get more information.

Another message dialog will open with two links. I don't know what they will sayin french but one should be about getting even more information - click that on and yet another dialog will open.

Without closing this error dialog, navigate to the folder indicated in the message and retrieve the crash dump (the one with the .mdmp extension).

Post the crash dump here (you might have to .zip it first).

Regards, Tobias

Thank you for that info.

If you could get the crash dump that would be really helpful.

In the Windows error message, follow the link to get more information.

Another message dialog will open with two links. I don't know what they will sayin french but one should be about getting even more information - click that on and yet another dialog will open.

Without closing this error dialog, navigate to the folder indicated in the message and retrieve the crash dump (the one with the .mdmp extension).

Post the crash dump here (you might have to .zip it first).

Regards, Tobias

No luck for the moment; the scan just went smoothly without crashing the program (which might actually be a good sign). I'll give it another try on the other machine tomorrow. If you can tell me where I might find the dump file, I can try to locate it anyway. I've already tried to run a search, but all I found were .mdmp files apparently made by Avast 4,and the latest one was albout three weeks old, so that wasn't it.

Rgds,

Hoger

The problem is that Windows saves the crash dumps to a temporary directory (whose name is automatically generated) and then remove these directories automatically when the error message is closed. It is. as far as I know, not possible to retrieve old dump files.

Have you noticed if it makes a difference whether Opera is running or not during the scan?

Regards, Tobias

I'm having the exact same problem, on XP Pro. Opera is not running at the time.

Well, as far as I am concerned, I think this string can be closed. I still don't know what happened, but the problem seems to have taken care of itself. I have successfully run several scans over the last two or three days (smart and complete), and I have never had any problems again.

And for the record, no Opera wasn't running on my machines either during the scans.

Thanks anyway.

Hoger

Well, as far as I am concerned, I think this string can be closed. I still don't know what happened, but the problem seems to have taken care of itself. I have successfully run several scans over the last two or three days (smart and complete), and I have never had any problems again.

And for the record, no Opera wasn't running on my machines either during the scans.

Thanks anyway.

Hoger

'Fraid not. Still happening to me.

'Fraid not. Still happening to me.

Here we go again. Ad-Aware announced another software update, downloaded and installed something (not sure what exactly)—and started choking on the Opera profile again. Good news is that I managed to get a crash dump now. After 3 failed attempts to attach it to this post, I uploaded it to homepages.internet.lu/hgerbig/AdAware.zip. (Please let me know when you retrieved it, so I can delete it; it takes up a lot of space.

Rgds,

Hoger

Here we go again. Ad-Aware announced another software update, downloaded and installed something (not sure what exactly)—and started choking on the Opera profile again. Good news is that I managed to get a crash dump now. After 3 failed attempts to attach it to this post, I uploaded it to homepages.internet.lu/hgerbig/AdAware.zip. (Please let me know when you retrieved it, so I can delete it; it takes up a lot of space.

Rgds,

Hoger

Still happening to me after update 7.0.2.3.

I got the crash dump, thanks.

Are you running any other security software on you machines?

Regards, Tobias

I got the crash dump, thanks.

Are you running any other security software on you machines?

Regards, Tobias

I'm running Opera 9.23, revision 8808. Other software: antivirus Avast 4.7.1043 Home Edition, Jetico Personal Firewall 1.0.1.61, Spybot Search & Destroy 1.5.0.9 w/TeaTimer, Spyware Terminator 2.0.0.193 w/ClamAV. All of these programs have been running on my machines for quite a while side by side w/AdAware. On my desktop (where the latest crash occurred), Spyware Terminator has replaced installations of MS Windows Defender (which I tried to deactivate—I am not sure that I suceeded) and of Pest Patrol 2005 which I have uninstalled (but can't exclude that the installation left traces behind). On my laptop—to my knowledge—Windows Defender and Pest Patrol have never been installed.

Rgds,

Hoger

Any progress in tracking down the problem? It went away when I updated definition to 0025.0000. But Ad-aware crashes again after updating to 0026.0000. Still, it can't scan Opera profiles. :huh:

I think it is somehow related to Spybot S&D's immunization function. The problem went away after I updated Ad-Aware definition to 0027.0000, but after updating to 0028.0000 it started to crash again at scanning Opera profiles. I remember running Spybot immunization before updating to 0028.0000.

I think it is somehow related to Spybot S&D's immunization function. The problem went away after I updated Ad-Aware definition to 0027.0000, but after updating to 0028.0000 it started to crash again at scanning Opera profiles. I remember running Spybot immunization before updating to 0028.0000.

Thanks, it looks like I can confirm this. I'm not sure if it's possible to "un-vaccinate" Opera in Spybot S&D, so I ran an AdAware smart scan with Opera vaccinated: AdAware crashed. Then I unchecked Opera in Spybot's protection list, updated the browser to version 9.24 and vaccinated the system excluding Opera. Another AdAware smart scan worked without problems. I checked Opera in the Spybot list and vaccinated, and AdAware crashed again. Vaccination of Firefox, Seamonkey and IE doesn't seem to make a difference; once Opera is cleared, AdAware can handle the rest.

Edited by hoger

Hi everyone,

Good news ! :D

I wasn't able to complete a scan for the last few weeks either as Ad-Aware 2007 would crash when it was checking Opera cookies.

However, while nosing around some other forums, I found this temporary fix which will allow you to run a successful scan again until the root of the problem is uncovered by Lavasoft staff members.

Go to the following link and check out 'Espoo's' opening post and his recommendation. It is the only fix that has worked for me since this problem reared its ugly head recently: Error 6100 fix

Hope this helps others too with this frustrating problem.

Regards,

2harts4ever :lol::)

Hi everyone,

Good news ! :D

I wasn't able to complete a scan for the last few weeks either as Ad-Aware 2007 would crash when it was checking Opera cookies.

However, while nosing around some other forums, I found this temporary fix which will allow you to run a successful scan again until the root of the problem is uncovered by Lavasoft staff members.

Go to the following link and check out 'Espoo's' opening post and his recommendation. It is the only fix that has worked for me since this problem reared its ugly head recently: Error 6100 fix

Hope this helps others too with this frustrating problem.

Regards,

2harts4ever :):wub:

Thanks for the hint.

Rgds, hoger

Morning everyone,

"Back in the Saddle again"! :D

I just installed the new definition update (0029.0000) released today (10-29-07) and my scanning problem is a thing of the past.

I can once again scan for tracking cookies!

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever :wub::wub:

Morning everyone,

"Back in the Saddle again"! :D

I just installed the new definition update (0029.0000) released today (10-29-07) and my scanning problem is a thing of the past.

I can once again scan for tracking cookies!

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever :wub::wub:

Nope. Still crashing here, even with update 0029.0000.

Rgds, hoger

Hi hoger,

Sorry to hear you are still having problems. :o

I just downloaded and installed the 0030.0000 update and ran another scan and so far I am able to successfully run scans.

Hope you get yours going soon.

Regards,

2harts4ever :):wub:

I solved the problem by "undo" immunization on Opera cookies in Spybot-S&D:

1. Run Spy-bot S&D
  2. Click on "Immunize"
  3. Right click anywhere on the list, and choose "Deselect all"
  4. Check the box next to "Cookies" in Opera 7+ section
  5. Click "undo" on top of the screen

Run Ad-aware, and you should have no more crashes. :angry:

Sign in to follow this