Sign in to follow this  
Paul D

Date Of Update Wrong - Scans Crash

Running the free version on XP home SP2. Date of last update shows as Sept 2nd, although I have updated (apparently successfully) at least twice since then, and further update attempts say I am up to date.

Which really doesn't matter, because I can't run a scan anyway. Any attempted scan results in the following:-

Service error: 6100 has occurred. Description: Lost connection with Ad-Aware service. Terminating gracefully...post-28979-1190232840.jpg

So far, always while scanning Opera Cookies.

Edited by Paul D

Running the free version on XP home SP2. Date of last update shows as Sept 2nd, although I have updated (apparently successfully) at least twice since then, and further update attempts say I am up to date.

Which really doesn't matter, because I can't run a scan anyway. Any attempted scan results in the following:-

Service error: 6100 has occurred. Description: Lost connection with Ad-Aware service. Terminating gracefully...post-28979-1190232840.jpg

So far, always while scanning Opera Cookies.

The problem is in aawservice.exe.

post-28979-1190261397.jpg

If you could run a scan and then get the crash dump that would be helpful.

In the Windows error message, follow the 'click here' link to get more information.

Another message dialog will open, with two more links in it. One of them should be about getting even more information - click that on and yet another dialog will open.

Without closing this error dialog, navigate to the folder indicated in the message and retrieve the crash dump (the one with the .mdmp extension).

Post the crash dump here (you might have to .zip it first).

Regards, Tobias

If you could run a scan and then get the crash dump that would be helpful.

In the Windows error message, follow the 'click here' link to get more information.

Another message dialog will open, with two more links in it. One of them should be about getting even more information - click that on and yet another dialog will open.

Without closing this error dialog, navigate to the folder indicated in the message and retrieve the crash dump (the one with the .mdmp extension).

Post the crash dump here (you might have to .zip it first).

Regards, Tobias

Here it is. Just made it - fully zipped 19.99mb

aawservice.exe.zip

State of play after updating to 7.0.2.3

The scan stops at the same place - Opera Profile. I get the Microsoft message as per my earlier post. The service then closes, but the scan doesn't. Instead of the Service Error 6100 window the scan goes directly to the summary window, suggesting the scan has completed, which of course it hasn't.

So you've removed the error message. Big deal.

I have the dump, but it's too big to upload.

State of play after updating to 7.0.2.3

The scan stops at the same place - Opera Profile. I get the Microsoft message as per my earlier post. The service then closes, but the scan doesn't. Instead of the Service Error 6100 window the scan goes directly to the summary window, suggesting the scan has completed, which of course it hasn't.

So you've removed the error message. Big deal.

I have the dump, but it's too big to upload.

Incidentally, my last update still shows as 20/09/07. I have updated at least twice since then. But of course that doesn't really matter since I can't run a scan, does it.

Are you running any other security software?

Regards, Tobias

Yes:-

ZoneAlarm Pro

Spyware Guard

Spybot Resident

BHODemon

Avira Antivir

ProcessGuard

BOClean

WinPatrol

I'll try disabling some of them over the next day or so and let you know. Not Avira or ZA though.

Yes:-

ZoneAlarm Pro

Spyware Guard

Spybot Resident

BHODemon

Avira Antivir

ProcessGuard

BOClean

WinPatrol

I'll try disabling some of them over the next day or so and let you know. Not Avira or ZA though.

I've now run a scan with each of the above except ZA and Avira shut down, but not with more than one shut down. Same result every time.

I too have problems running Ad-Aware 2007 V7.0.2.3. It was running fine before I updated it to 7.0.2.3. Now it crashes every time when it starts scanning Opera 9.23 profiles. This is the MS error reporting tool detail screen shot.

post-38824-1191564209.jpg

I have the memory dump files, but I can't upload the entire ZIP. It's >10MB, and my U/L speed is low. Maybe the server timeout is too short.

appcompat.txt

manifest.txt

aawservice.exe.mdmp.zip

Other security programs installed on my system:

XP Pro SP2 with all the latest updates

Spybot-S&D 1.5.1.15 with Tea Timer 1.5.0.9

McAfee Intenet Security - SecurityCenter 7.2 Build 7.2.147, VirusScan 11.2 Build 11.2.124

ZoneAlarm Basic 7.0.408.000

Acronis True Image 9.0 Build 2,323

Opera 9.23 Build 88.08

Are you running any other security software?

Regards, Tobias

Any progress?

What concerns me is that by the time it reaches the crash site I am told it has found an ever-increasing number (currently 40, and rising) of infections, but I am not being given an opportunity to action these. This number continues to rise even after running my other adware programs.

We are still looking at it.

Regards, Tobias

I've uninstalled Opera. I don't really need four browsers. Fixed the problem for me, but obviously not for you.

Sign in to follow this