Sign in to follow this  
sokrattes

"aawservice.exe" Consumption Of Memory When Closed

Does anyone know why Ad-Aware 2007 Free starts this as a service (aawservice.exe = 26.540Kb) and why it is running all the time after the scan? It has no real time monitoring so seems kind of unnecessary to me.

My sistem:

Windows XP SP2

NOD32 2.70.39

ZoneAlarm Security Suite 7.0.337.000

Ad-Aware 2007 Free 7.0.22

All updated.

Thanks for your time.

Does anyone know why Ad-Aware 2007 Free starts this as a service (aawservice.exe = 26.540Kb) and why it is running all the time after the scan? It has no real time monitoring so seems kind of unnecessary to me.

My sistem:

Windows XP SP2

NOD32 2.70.39

ZoneAlarm Security Suite 7.0.337.000

Ad-Aware 2007 Free 7.0.22

All updated.

Thanks for your time.

You are not the only one to have asked this question, and as per usual you will get a reply asking for all sorts of information (just to keep you busy), after supplying the information they will put their usual spin on it (the programme needs to do this because of the NEW emerging threats it has to start as a service) but as many people have pointed out that PLENTY of other similar software suppliers don't go down this path and are not having the same problems, anyway they don't need to do it this way for the reasons stated, and they wont tell you why they chose this either.

Hi Sokrattes,

There is this "pinned" Topic Regarding The Service which sets out the reasons for the service-based approach and the opinions of those who either agree or disagree with it, as with kevscs opinion above - it is fairly well covered, so I won't get into that particular debate.

If you are using AAW 2007 Free and do not wish to have the service running all the time, it is quite easy to switch aawservice.exe from Automatic to Manual - see my post here (with screen shots): How Do I Kill Aawservice.exe?

As I stated there, you will have run "services.msc" to start and then stop aawservice.exe before and after each scan, or to check for either new Definitions or for Program Updates, which you may find a bit of a hassle - your choice.

Regards,

Spike

Sign in to follow this