Sign in to follow this  
ol2rap

Error Message While Scanning?

I can confirm the Ad-Aware 2007 vs. Opera cookies bug. Every scan I performed with Ad-Aware 2007, whether quick or full, crashed when scanning cookies. The Application Event Viewer reported the following error:

Event Type: Error

Event Source: Application Error

Event Category: (100)

Event ID: 1000

Date: 11/5/2007

Time: 9:53:39 PM

User: N/A

Computer: <removed>

Description:

Faulting application aawservice.exe, version 7.0.2.5, faulting module CEAPI.dll, version 7.0.2.3, fault address 0x0006851e.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Data:

0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat

0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail

0010: 75 72 65 20 20 61 61 77 ure aaw

0018: 73 65 72 76 69 63 65 2e service.

0020: 65 78 65 20 37 2e 30 2e exe 7.0.

0028: 32 2e 35 20 69 6e 20 43 2.5 in C

0030: 45 41 50 49 2e 64 6c 6c EAPI.dll

0038: 20 37 2e 30 2e 32 2e 33 7.0.2.3

0040: 20 61 74 20 6f 66 66 73 at offs

0048: 65 74 20 30 30 30 36 38 et 00068

0050: 35 31 65 51e

I had previously uninstalled Opera on this machine, but after finding this thread I did a search for the cookies4.dat cookies file that Opera stores. Turns out the file existed in a profile that was not deleted by the uninstaller. I deleted the entire profile, and could successfully scan using Ad-Aware 2007.

Furthermore, I could always scan successfully on a second machine that never had Opera installed. That machine runs Windows XP Home, and the affected machine runs XP Pro, but despite the OS difference and previous Opera installation on the affected machine, the setups were essentially the same.

Ugh... and deleting the Opera profile once won't work. Once you restart Opera and it rebuilds the profile, Ad-Aware will choke on the cookie file again. And there's no way in the interface to disable scanning cookies for one browser and not another; it's either all or nothing.

I'd really hate to be a person who uses both Opera & Ad-Aware regularly right now. If I had to blow away my cookies every time I did a malware scan (which for me is at least once per week).... ;)

I'd really hate to be a person who uses both Opera & Ad-Aware regularly right now. If I had to blow away my cookies every time I did a malware scan (which for me is at least once per week).... :rolleyes:

That person is me lol. So I'm confused--do I need to totally delete Opera? I also saw that someone mentioned an Opera-specific cookie designation...what is it and where do I search for these cookies? If possible, please spell it out like I'm the dumbest person in the world--I'm a regular Vista user, but my comp is being repaired so I'm using an old clunker with XP. I've become addicted to the 'search' function in Vista, so I no longer have any idea where to find anything or how to search in XP haha.

If someone could assist, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you!!

I'm having the same problem with AdAware 2007 being interrupted during the scan. It always stops in the cookies segment and prompts me to send an error report. My OS is XP. I uninstalled Opera, then uninstalled AAW 2007, then reinstalled AAW 2007, but had the same problem. Would reinstalling Opera and hoping for an updated version fix the problem? What else might I do so that I can run AAW, as I've not been able to run it for about four days, although I can download the latest updates. Is this an AAW issue or an Opera issue. I don't need Opera, but something is gumming up the works and I would be grateful for knowledgable guidance so that I can start running AAW again with confidence. Thank you.

Edited by Tar2

It's definitely an AdAware issue, not Opera. The problem is that when you uninstall Opera, its cookies are left and they still cause the error. There's another thread on here that talks about them, but I don't remember what they're named and I certainly don't know where to search for them.

If someone could share that info, it would be great--then we can both uninstall Opera completely and should be able to use AAW again. I haven't been able to run mine in days either, and it had detected spyware before the scan shut down :rolleyes:. So I'd really like to get this fixed, too.

Edited by berryj

So I'm confused--do I need to totally delete Opera?

No, just your profile, and perhaps just the cookies. The location of the Opera profile (on XP) can be found in this post above.

berryj is right, this is Ad-Aware's fault, not Opera's. So the choices are to ( a ) not run Ad-Aware while you have Opera installed until Lavasoft fixes this, ( b ) disable Ad-Aware's cookie scans until there's a fix, or ( c ) blow away your Opera profile after each use.

Edited by jtdarlington

I finally got mine to work!! :)

OK, on mine, there were actually two files in which the cookies from the Opera browser are kept. They are NOT uninstalled when you uninstall Opera via Add/ Remove programs. Unfortunately I forgot to write down the name of the second one.

The easiest way to locate them (for clueless people like me) is just to search your C:/ drive for cookies4. Do it just like that, no space. The first file is cookies4.dat. I can't remember the second one, but it was a similar name to the first. Just make sure you stretch out the location field all the way so you can make sure it's an opera file (my screen brought them up with tiny column widths, so I couldn't see the entire file location. My search also brought up two other unrelated files, so just make sure you only delete the two (or some people may have just the cookies4.dat file, I have no idea).

Once these two were deleted (and the recycle bin emptied of course just in case!!), I have been able to run AdAware with no problems.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, JT, for the advice.

As you can see in the post above, I opted to delete Opera. For those of you who like Opera and don't want to use IE, Firefox has gotten a lot better than it used to be. IE kept giving me tons of problems, so I downloaded Opera and Firefox to see if I liked them better than IE. I do really like the Opera 'speed dial' feature, but overall I think Firefox is the best of the three. The download window is absolutely great for unorganized people like me who tend to forget what they've downloaded.

Here's the link if any Opera users want to switch until Lavasoft fixes their issue: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

Thanks for your response. We'll be looking for a possible fix. One additional piece of info: I was able to successfully complete a scan on a different profile under my XP Pro. Not sure why that would be!

DM

I too am having this unhandled exception and it has locked up my scanning ability for adware2007. does anyone know what this is and what the fix is?

thanks

judy

Have been using the free 2007 version 7.0.2.5 for sometime now with no problems - thanks. Just today, I experienced and received the similar error messages as the original member has reported. I am using XP Pro, NOD32, Spybot, System Mechanic 7 Pro, Spy Blaster.

It was scanning cookies when it encountered the error.

The error signature states - "szAppName:aawservice szAppVer:7.0.2.5 szModName: CEAPl.dll

Followed by the Error Report Contents:

C:\DOCUME~1\JOSERC~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER65eadr00\aawservice/exe/mdmp

C:\DOCUME~1\JOSERC~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER65eadr00\appcompat.txt

Please help. thanks.

Sign in to follow this