Sign in to follow this  
davegthomas

Is Anyone There?

I have used Ad -Aware for a number of years without any problems.

Having bitten the bullet and installed Vista Ultimate I waited for various companies to catch up and issue new versions that work with the new OS.

When I saw that there was a new version of ad-aware I promptly downloaded it - it ran once and then steadfastly refused to run again.

Weeks passed by and I suddenly thought that there must be a fixed new version available and there was!!

This time it got half way before it crashed gracefully with an error 6100.

Numerous people are reporting problems and nobody at Lavasoft is responding!

Yes I know that I am using, sorry trying to use, a free version BUT I am NEVER going to buy the other versions if they don't support this one!

COME ON LAVASOFT - WAKE UP - YOU'RE LOSING BUSINESS.

I have used Ad -Aware for a number of years without any problems.

Having bitten the bullet and installed Vista Ultimate I waited for various companies to catch up and issue new versions that work with the new OS.

When I saw that there was a new version of ad-aware I promptly downloaded it - it ran once and then steadfastly refused to run again.

Weeks passed by and I suddenly thought that there must be a fixed new version available and there was!!

This time it got half way before it crashed gracefully with an error 6100.

Numerous people are reporting problems and nobody at Lavasoft is responding!

Yes I know that I am using, sorry trying to use, a free version BUT I am NEVER going to buy the other versions if they don't support this one!

COME ON LAVASOFT - WAKE UP - YOU'RE LOSING BUSINESS.

If it's any consolation, XP users are getting error 6100 as well. It's not confined to Vista.

Hello,

As you may, or may not be aware, "official support" is provided in the Support Center (for paid users only). We do however, provide these forums for free users to interact, ask questions and request help from other Ad-Aware users. Staff does review some of these topics in their free time (or as time allows from aside from their official duties in the Support Center) looking for common problems and reporting them back for troubleshooting purposes.

Error 6100 is a result of a fault in the service somewhere, not any one specific problem or conflict can cause this error and may be unique to a particular user's system, hence as some causes are found and fixed, new causes may arise. So that particular error doesn't have a one size fits all solution. You could help us try to pinpoint what is causing the error on your system to look for causes by following this procedure:

Could you please follow the instructions posted here to get a copy of the crash dump?

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?s...ost&p=55019

If you could run a scan and then get the crash dump that would be helpful.

In the Windows error message, follow the 'click here' link to get more information.

Another message dialog will open, with two more links in it. One of them should be about getting even more information - click that on and yet another dialog will open.

Without closing this error dialog, navigate to the folder indicated in the message and retrieve the crash dump (the one with the .mdmp extension).

Post the crash dump here (you might have to .zip it first).

Regards, Tobias

You can post it here and I will follow this thread.

Thank you for the reply.

While waiting for your reponse having reinstalled 7.0.2.1 and received an error: 6000 I removed Ad-Aware from my system.

I just reinstalled again and updated to the very latest version 7.0.2.2 with definitions file 0023.0000 and ran a smart scan and received an error:6100 again.

Unfortunately there is NO WINDOWS ERROR message so I cannot procede any further unless you provide further information.

I certainly appreciate that a free product is not entitled to much support BUT it should work, if only in a limited way, to encourage users to pay for the extra features in the other versions.

The only information I can pass on is that it was scanning cookies when it fell over!

Ok, chances are that it is a conflict with Spybot that causes the crash. We have gotten other reports indicating this. If you want you can try turning off the Immunization in Spybot and see if that prevents the crashes.

We are aware of the issue and are looking for a solution.

Regards ,Tobias

Ok, chances are that it is a conflict with Spybot that causes the crash. We have gotten other reports indicating this. If you want you can try turning off the Immunization in Spybot and see if that prevents the crashes.

We are aware of the issue and are looking for a solution.

O.K. Lets remove some FUD!

As I could not see a way of turning off Immunization in Spybot S&D I REMOVED it completely from my machine.

I ran your software again and received the same error message AGAIN.

Seemed to be slower this time but appeared to fall over in the same place scanning cookies!

Next suggestion please.

LATER UPDATE

I deleted the application where Ad-Aware appeared to be crashing and ran AAW again - NO CHANGE but then I noticed that it had stopped in the same place and on checking found that although windows had removed the application it had not deleted the files!

So I deleted the files and ran AAW again - miracle on miracles it ran and completed the smart scan.

I asked it to delete the tracking cookies it had found and ten minutes later it is STILL DELETEING them very slowly!

Just a little more data for you:

I am running the new improved, not SP1, version of Vista Ultimate and the application I deleted was OPERA9.2

I hope the above helps somebody else

The conflict with Spybot's immunization has been reported such as seen here:

http://www.castlecops.com/t201791-workarao...error_6100.html

Scroll down to the user's comment Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:46 am

Found the cause:

Toggling Spybot's immunisation for Opera cookies prevents and "causes" the Lavasoft crash each time.

Tobias asked you to undo the immunization in Spybot (not uninstall the program) to see if that was what was causing the problem.

Spybot makes numerous changes to the system when you use immunization (see image below) and it asks you not to uninstall the program just to undo changes (such as immunization) as that will affect numerous areas of the windows registry with no way to undo the changes made.

Uninstalling the program without undoing the changes would have left all of them in place, even though you removed the program.

These changes are not undone when you simply remove the program without using the UNDO function in the Immunize section of Spybot.

post-65-1190844977.jpg

post-65-1190845034.jpg

If you had Opera installed, there is no need to uninstall that either.

The only way to rectify that is to reinstall Spybot and then use *Immunize* and let it make the changes, then use the *undo* button as shown above to remove the changes.

If you bothered to read CAREFULLY my post you will notice that I could not see HOW TO UNDO the immunization - I was using the latest version. Which is why I uninstalled it AND if you then RE-READ the Spybot Uninstall notice you will see that it completely removes it.

I also removed Opera because, as it turned out, that WAS the culprit and I wasn't using it anyway.

You should be thankful that a customer now has a working system - no thanks to LS Calamity Jane ....."EDIT"

@davegthomas You are entitled to state your opinions, but please watch your language - see Forum Rules - You must read this before posting!

That aside, there is a saying (old but relevant) - civilty costs nothing and achieves a great deal.

Edited by spike-nz
Unacceptable language

Hello davegthomas,

I think all the time about how a customer's system runs. That is why I installed Spybot on Vista machine before posting to see exactly what it does and how it recommends you undo changes to the registry made by using immunize.

Uninstalling Spybot removes the program and all of it's components. That does not undo the changes to the registry from immunize. I did duplicate this on a Vista Machine with Spybot immunized, then removed the program without using "undo". Spybot was removed but all of the registry changes made by immunize were still there, meaning the proper way to undo "immunize" is to use the undo button before attempting to remove of the program itself. For instance, immunize adds entries to your HOSTS file (just one of many changes to the system). Removing Spybot without removing the immunization leaves those entries in place and if you should use another program to protect the HOSTS file in a similar manner it will add more, redundant and duplicate entries to the HOSTS file increasing the amount of work your browser has to do to browse webpages and may cause general slowdowns. The other entries that "immunize" makes are in addition to the example I've given here, it would be impossible to tell you how to do it manually. I would recommend as above to reinstall Spybot and select immunize. Then select the "undo" feature to fix that (as the Spybot program recommends) or you may encounter problems running other programs such as you experienced with Ad-Aware scans.

It might have been easier to tell Tobias that you could not find how to undo immunize rather than just choose to remove the Spybot program, as it's very easy to show you how to do it properly.

To "undo" immunize is show in my screenshot above. Open Spybot, choose *immunize* and then choose the *undo* button at the top.

While I realize that removing Opera solved your immediate symptoms, that is not the optimal method for those who do wish to still use Opera. Undoing the immunize feature in Spybot is all that is needed.

Glad to hear you the problem resolved then, but I would not recommend those steps you took without any regard for the manufacturer's recommendations and those steps you used may cause problems for others if they try doing that. I'll go ahead and move this topic to the resolved section (read only).

Sign in to follow this