Sign in to follow this  
floplo

Lack Of Finding Cookies Since Latest Update (free Edition)

Hi

I been waiting for months to get some help to get this program to run with some consistency. I am the only one posting in here. I guess since I am not a paying customer, no one is interested in helping or figuring out why it not working for me. One day it will find a cookie and the next time the same cookie is in the cookie folder and nothing is found. I've been trying to be patient and have used Ad-aware SE free one for years with no problems. It found tracking cookies every day. Now it works in a very haphazard way and doesn't seem to be a reliable program any more unfortunately for me. I been trying to put down information which I think may be helpful in getting this resolved for me, but no responses from any help people. This is the only thread in this section which shows no new posts or responses now for weeks besides mine.:) I give up....:) Not even a response from someone saying they are looking into the problem... zilch, nothing......

Hi floplo,

I'm not exactly sure - I have seen it appear from time to time on posts that have grown to a certain length.

I will ask an Admin and get back to you ;)

In the meantime, I will merge this new Topic back into your existing one to keep it all together and tidy.

Regards,

Spike

Hello again floplo,

I have checked - it is another version of the "Hot Topic" symbol - it will quite likely change to the version shown at the bottom at some stage.

Regards,

Spike

Hi floplo,

No, not at all :)

I have posted today in your main Topic in the AAW2007 Bug Reports section.

Regards,

Spike

Hi

This is so frustrating.:) The free version works fine for a day or two, then it is back to finding nothing when my other anti-spyware programs find the tracking cookies. Is there anything I can post that may help the dev. who are reading this? If it was a bad install, then it would never work. If it was another program on my computer that was blocking it, then it would never work. Don't know what to do so that the program works all the time for me.

Hi

No cookies with the updated definitions again.... This is so discouraging. I been waiting for months now to get this fixed. I know the tracking cookies are there. Why can't Ad-aware find not a single one???

I haven't posted or come here in a few weeks now. Was hoping something would have been fixed by now, but apparently nothing is going to get fixed if not fixed by now.g ;)

Hi

The last 2 nights, it found cookies. I just updated to the new definitions again. Once again, it has found nothing....

Floplo, why don't we try something. First, I don't use IE7 nor windows XP so can't say much about them. I have never liked XP and have told Microsoft the same, it sucks. ;) Anyway, go into your Ad-Aware and run it and let it delete all cookies. Then, run your Spy-Bot and let it delete all that it finds. I would suggest you install AVG spyware and run it and let it delete all it finds. After you have done all that, do not run any of them again. Go to a lot of the Internet sites that you visit and browse around for the day. Then run your Ad-Aware again and see if it finds anything. And, by all means, raise that security level back to at least medium.

A word about spy-bot. I quit using it as it was never finding anything for me after I started using AVG.

Hi

I would gladly let Ad-Aware 2007 delete the tracking cookies if it found them. The problem is that most of the time, it doesn't find the tracking cookies. I run Ad-aware first, then Spybot search and destroy, Avg Anti-Spyware and Spyware Doctor on a daily basis. Ad-Aware is the first program that I run when I run my scans. The other 3 programs find cookies, but Ad aware will find none. Some days it does find cookies and removes them. The odd thing about all this is that the same cookies are involved. A couple of days it will find the cookies, but most of the time, it won't find them.. I scan with Ad-aware and Spybot in the late afternoon and then with Ad- aware again at night since it usually finds nothing the first time. I figure I would give it a second chance. I don't do that every night though. Then I run AVG anti-spyware and Spyware Doctor. They all find different cookies with the exception of Ad- aware 2007 which for the most part finds nothing but MRU's with any regularity. Thank you for your suggestion though. This might have been the first suggestion, but I forget now since this problem has been going on for so long. It's been a long time since any program updates too.:( It's just a shame that a good program was ruined as I have seen mentioned in many forums on the net...

I been posting here for months and months with the same problem of not having tracking cookies picked up with any consistency. The only one posting in my thread is me.... Posting in this forum is NOT getting any help for the free version... I have seen so many problems with the free version and it seems like no one is getting help....There have been no updates of the program for months either so nothing is getting fixed...Judging from the number of lookers at my thread, I would say a lot of people are having the same problem. If the program can't find tracking cookies, I have doubts now if it can find anything if there is something else on my system which needs attention...If the free version can't get support in the forum, then why have a free version if it can't do the job.....????

I realize that it is useless for me to post in this thread since I don't think anyone from Lavasoft is reading this. If they are, they don't inquire or try to help me remedy the problem if indeed the problem is on my end. I now have the latest version of Ad-Aware 2007 free and the latest definition file. It still doesn't find any cookies what so ever, not a single one any more. It used to find an occasional one, but not so any more. I have it set to scan for tracking cookies, but does the program know where the cookies are in IE 7 using Windows XP Pro sp2 with all the latest updates for that also. ? I don't even know if it is scanning the right folder.I haven't seen anyone even try and find out what the problem is, if it's a conflict with another program or what. No effort at all in trying to resolve this issue for months and months now. That is the sad part of this and many threads that I have seen in this forum. The only question asked at the beginning of the thread was what browser am I using. That was answered as soon as I saw the question. This is the place for the people who use the free version are supposed to get help. I realize that you have only so many volunteers that can offer help, but there are so many threads with people who have problems too. Some one did suggest in one of my other threads to fix the problem myself. However, if I could do that, I would most certainly have done it by now. I know when I post in other forums, people make an effort to help. In fact I am a person who tries to help people in the GameSpyArcade Forum. People ask questions and I try and help them. In fact, I have been made a VIP in the forum and in Arcade itself because I try and help people with my limited knowledge. In this forum though it appears that most threads go unanswered or people don't get satisfactory results. As I mentioned before, if other programs run after Ad-Aware catch tracking cookies, why isn't this program? Apparently, the Lavasoft definition of tracking cookies is different than all the other programs or at least among the programs I use along with this program. I know I am wasting my time typing this since I am the only one who is going to see it probably, although I see it has gotten a lot of views, but not by anyone who can fix the program or attempt to find out what the problem is.

Hi

I would gladly let Ad-Aware 2007 delete the tracking cookies if it found them. The problem is that most of the time, it doesn't find the tracking cookies. I run Ad-aware first, then Spybot search and destroy, Avg Anti-Spyware and Spyware Doctor on a daily basis. Ad-Aware is the first program that I run when I run my scans. The other 3 programs find cookies, but Ad aware will find none. Some days it does find cookies and removes them. The odd thing about all this is that the same cookies are involved. A couple of days it will find the cookies, but most of the time, it won't find them.. I scan with Ad-aware and Spybot in the late afternoon and then with Ad- aware again at night since it usually finds nothing the first time. I figure I would give it a second chance. I don't do that every night though. Then I run AVG anti-spyware and Spyware Doctor. They all find different cookies with the exception of Ad- aware 2007 which for the most part finds nothing but MRU's with any regularity. Thank you for your suggestion though. This might have been the first suggestion, but I forget now since this problem has been going on for so long. It's been a long time since any program updates too.;) It's just a shame that a good program was ruined as I have seen mentioned in many forums on the net...

You made a statement in the last sentance about updates, that strikes a bell. I question that you have a good install of Ad-Aware 2007. I can assure you they are having regular program udpates. I build computers and check almost everyone of them with Ad-Aware and can run Ad-Aware, then visit some web sites, and almost 100 percent of the time ad-aware will find tracking cookies.

Hi

You missed reading my last post I guess WAA. I said I had the latest version and the latest definitions and the same thing has been happening. I went along with the idea of perhaps I once again might have a bad install of Ad-Aware 2007. I have already many times uninstalled and reinstalled thinking I might have a bad install. At first the program would catch a few cookies, but at one point when one new definition came out, then it stopped finding any tracking cookies. It would find them maybe 2 or 3 times a week, but eventually, it stopped finding any at all although the other programs run after adaware 2007 did find them as I have mentioned in my other posts. I again this afternoon uninstalled the program completely including the folder using both add/remove and also removing using the uninistall, but that said it was already uninstalled. Apparently, it wasn't completely since the folder was still there along with things inside of it. I got rid of all of that and even the name of the folder. I rebooted and then d/led it again once more and installed it again. I just ran it again with the same results.... no tracking cookies..... Maybe it works on a brand new system for you and with no other programs installed perhaps.. Apparently it is working for some people, but not for me at this time and hasn't for many months now, at least not satisfactorily. Some people I see can't even run the program. It runs for me, but apparently, not very effectively...

I guess this is useles, this forum. I make posts trying for months to get help to get this program to work and it's just skipped over by anyone from Lavasoft. I get a new error and post it in a new topic thread. All the posts before and after my problem are replied to, mine is just skipped over like this thread is by Lavasoft... No help at all. I just give up trying to get any help from this forum which means the program seems to be useless. Sorry to say this.. I have been patient for months and months with getting no help or indication that they are even trying to work on a solution... No suggestions, no nothing....

I guess this is useles, this forum. I make posts trying for months to get help to get this program to work and it's just skipped over by anyone from Lavasoft. I get a new error and post it in a new topic thread. All the posts before and after my problem are replied to, mine is just skipped over like this thread is by Lavasoft... No help at all. I just give up trying to get any help from this forum which means the program seems to be useless. Sorry to say this.. I have been patient for months and months with getting no help or indication that they are even trying to work on a solution... No suggestions, no nothing....

Sorry Floplo, haven't really forgotten you, however, I have tried to come up with a fix. I must say, I haven't found any reason. Using the program on 4 computers myself, supporting a few dozen others, I really haven't had any problem as you are portraying.

I did have one quirk awhile back with a new 2007 release, the fix was to go back to the Ad-aware SE which still works well.

Might try removing everything again, ie., do the deletes you mentioned, PLUS, search your registry and remove all references to ad-aware there, and install the original Ad-aware SE, let it do it's updates and give it a run and see what happens.

Outside that, I really don't have any suggestions. If there is a fix, I'd be interested in what the problem is/was. Never know when it would come in handy.

Hi

Ad-aware SE is no longer supported from what I see when I go to sign into the forum. I don't even know if you can still download the old ad-aware SE. This started with one of the program updates. It did work at one time, but then came along one of the updates or one of the definition files, I can't remember just when it started now, but it's been months.I don't touch the registry, so I will have to wait for my son to come along and perhaps he will do that for me. He's the one who uninstalled 2007 and downloaded it and reinstalled it... I've reinstalled the program several times in fact, but no help yet....

Hi

After many weeks, Ad-aware found tracking cookies for 2 days, this past Thurs. and Friday. Starting on Sat. again, I'm back to no cookies again.:( The cookies are there, I can see them.....

Hi

I guess it was a 2 day fluke that the program worked. It hasn't happened since.:)

Well Floplo, I guess we are at a loss. I have a few hundres computers out there around the country, and, bet I can tell, most of those folks use Ad-Aware. Those computers range from a lowly 300mhz pentium type system all the way to the AMD dual core athlon 6000. Range from 512 meg ram to 2 gig. I do not have any idea at this point what your problem is, but, I can almost be certain that If I had that computer for a few minutes, I'd have that ad-aware working. I really don't have any further suggestions other than to make sure you are doing updates completely, the later version of ad-aware is kinda anbigious in it's updating, and to go over your options for scanning etc., etc.

Good luck. I would be interested if you do come up with the fix though.

Hi

My son today uninstalled Ad-aware 2007 free, cleaned out the registry completely of anything having to do with Lavasoft, got a new d/l of the program and installed it with my antivirus program disabled. After an enormously slow loading of the program since the latest program update, it once again found like nothing. I have E6600 cpu,ASUS P5N32-sli SE Delux Mobo, 2 gigs of ram, GF 7900 GTX vid card. I am running XP Pro with all the latest updates and IE 7. I have Zone Alarm Pro running with the anti-spyware part disabled. I have System Works 2008 now installed and had the same problem when 2007 was installed. I also have Spybot S & D, AVG anti-spyware and Spyware Doctor, but none of them work in the background. I turn them on when I want to do a scan. The other 3 programs find tracking cookies and this program still doesn't find them. Once in a blue moon, it may find some. I just don't get it? The other 3 programs also take much longer to run a scan than this program does. I have tried looking at the help section, but most of it is geared towards the paid versions as far as the settings go. I guess I am probably the only one who has been trying to use this program for so long and not getting good results with it. I don't have the foggiest idea of what could be causing this program not to work for me in finding any cookies. I have to wonder if it is scanning the folders where the cookies are located? The few times when it has found a cookie and cleaned it, the same cookie is back again cause I go to that site, but the next time, it doesn't find the same cookie. That is what is puzzling me to no end..... I have nothing in the ignored section, so that isn't the reason. I just don't know.:)

Hi

I guess no one is reading this any more including the developers of this free program. The scan is running too quickly and seems to jump from 1000 items scanned to like 6000. It jumps like this quite often. I believe when it jumps like this, it is missing sections or folders that it should be scanning. I don't know why this is happening. It's got to be skipping the tracking cookie folder apparantently since it finds nothing consistenetly. It doesn't even find the MRU's any more either. This scan is done in under 3 minutes which is super fast compared to the other programs that I use which finds tracking cookies. Since this forum only provides possible help from other users, I can't see how I can get any help with this program. Apparently, I can't since I haven't gotten any yet really.

Hi

I guess no one is reading this any more including the developers of this free program. The scan is running too quickly and seems to jump from 1000 items scanned to like 6000. It jumps like this quite often. I believe when it jumps like this, it is missing sections or folders that it should be scanning. I don't know why this is happening. It's got to be skipping the tracking cookie folder apparantently since it finds nothing consistenetly. It doesn't even find the MRU's any more either. This scan is done in under 3 minutes which is super fast compared to the other programs that I use which finds tracking cookies. Since this forum only provides possible help from other users, I can't see how I can get any help with this program. Apparently, I can't since I haven't gotten any yet really.

Hello Floplo

I have, in the last week, installed that program onto some computers. One located in Florida, two in Indiana, and two in Nebraska. The one thing I did notice and changed is, when you do an update, the program tries to download definition files, and, program updates. I noticed that the thing didn't work to well doing that. I did no let it do the program updates until after the definition updates were finished. Then went and done the program updates. After doing that all works normal again. I don't know why they went to doing both type updates at the same time, gets kinda confusing when errors start showing up and you don't know which part it's talking about.

Anyway, after doing the updates in a more orderly way, the program is working well. Might I add, the computers that I installed the latest were not quite as elaborate as yours but I see no reason it should not work on yours. My computer is Biostar T570 SLI M-board, AMD X2 6000 dual core, 2 gig RAM, 325gig Hitachi SATA drive, Seagate 260 SATA drive, 500meg PCI Express ATI Radion video, Sony DVD-RW, 52X CDR. The flakey part of my system is the Hitachi hard drive and I do not recommend it to anyone. However, I have no problem running Ad-Aware 2007. There is 171886 threats in detection in the latest update. I might add, you gotta watch the definition update. There is no indication that it is updating other than you can watch your zonealarm icon and see it working. When it finishes updating it will tell you it's finished. Sorry for all the trouble you are having with it, might I also add, That I am also running Spy-Bot search and destroy.

Sign in to follow this