Sign in to follow this  
umboppa

Ad-Aware shuts down computer

I have been using Ad-Aware SE without problems for some time now. Recently, a problem has developed. When I start a scan, it will start as normal then shortly into the scan it will shut down my computer in restart mode. I am running Windows XP. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Ad-Aware but the same thing happens. I also have Spybot installed but this functions normally. Can anyone help?

Have you tried scanning in Safe Mode?

I have been using Ad-Aware SE without problems for some time now. Recently, a problem has developed. When I start a scan, it will start as normal then shortly into the scan it will shut down my computer in restart mode. I am running Windows XP. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Ad-Aware but the same thing happens. I also have Spybot installed but this functions normally. Can anyone help?

Hello Umboppa.

Please review this FAQ and see if it helps for you.

Thanks

//Team Lavasoft

Hello Umboppa.

Please review this FAQ and see if it helps for you.

Thanks

//Team Lavasoft

Wow, I have been having this same problem for some time now...I uninstalled and re-installed...But this info right here fixed the problem for me! Thank you!

I have been having a similar problem, but I don't get a blue screen I get a message that says "System shutdown initiated by NT Authority/system System must restart because DCOM server process launcher terminated unexpectedly. Anyone know what might cause that? How do I fix? I don't have a Vundo infestation. Searched for that already.

If Steve's suggestion doesn't work, try following these instructions:

--------------------------------

Can you try running a scan with Ad-Aware SE and when the shutdown countdown starts cancel the shutdown command.

Click on Start then select Run, type in this bold but do not click OK yet.

shutdown -a

Now start Ad-Aware SE and click on the global icon to run a web update to make sure you have the latest definitions file. Now start the scan running and return to that run command you opened above.

As soon as you see that shutdown message appear click on OK to launch the shutdown -a command. This will abort the shutdown.

Sign in to follow this