Sign in to follow this  
joakim_46

Crash While Updating

I found a reproducible crash when updating Ad-Aware 7.0.2.3 under Windows XP SP2. When Ad-Aware is searching for updates online I right-click on the taskbar icon and select Close and immediate crash. Windows shows information and creates that usual temporay appcompact.txt but I can't open Windows Explorer while the crash windows is open. When I close the crash window, the text file is deleted. Also, Ad-Aware doesn't seems the write exception to disk although that option is enabled.

I found a reproducible crash when updating Ad-Aware 7.0.2.3 under Windows XP SP2. When Ad-Aware is searching for updates online I right-click on the taskbar icon and select Close and immediate crash. Windows shows information and creates that usual temporay appcompact.txt but I can't open Windows Explorer while the crash windows is open. When I close the crash window, the text file is deleted. Also, Ad-Aware doesn't seems the write exception to disk although that option is enabled.

I have a similar experience with Ad Aware 7, black screen and reboot at apprx. 10 seconds into the scan according to the counter. Am going to run HiJack This and post a logfile.

g

Joakim

When Ad-Aware is searching for updates online I right-click on the taskbar icon and select Close and immediate crash

Why on earth would you want to do that? What exactly are you trying to prove?

So it is reproducible - tell any service-based program to check for updates then deliberately crash it - most of them will fail, which is the logical response to deliberate, arbitrary, conflicting commands...

Aren't you going to investigate this issue?

We are busy helping those with genuine problems - deliberate, user-produced malfunctions should best be left to trying to help discover reasons for problems reported by users unable to install or run AAW 2007. I would imagine that this is something that the Devs already know.

Beta-testing (of the program itself, rather than Defs) has long since finished. Reports of reproducible genuine faults or conflicts are welcome and helpful - otherwise it only causes confusion for those with problems.

Spike

Hi geraldfrank,

Please could you supply some more information, to help us pinpoint your problem:

1) What is your OS?

2) What other security software is running at the same time (ie: anti-virus, anti-malware, firewall, etc)?

3) Are you running AAW SE 1.06 or AAW 2007, and which version (Free, Plus or Pro)?

4) If you are using AAW 2007, have you updated to v7.0.2.3.?

If you get an error message, from either AAW or MS, please could you try and get a screen shot (in .gif format) and post it as an attachment - if a screen shot is not possible, any wording or error number would help.

Regards,

Spike

Why on earth would you want to do that? What exactly are you trying to prove?

I'm trying to prove that the software is crashing instead of closing... ;)

Ok Joakim, I admit that I over-reacted and I have deliberately toned down my post above ;)

I also managed to crash AAW 2007 Plus, but only in the few seconds as it was opening with the "Auto-Update"configuration set (this is an action that I doubt would occur to very many people to undertake...). Once the GUI had loaded after the AutoUpdate, there was no way to crash it that I could find, when clicking on "Update".

Should you be interested in trying to find the causes of any remaining conflicts/problems which users are posting here in the forum, that would be both useful and appreciated. I see that you are a Beta Defs tester which is helpful also.

Regards,

Spike

Sign in to follow this