Sign in to follow this  
csmith

* Scheduling Doesn’t Seem To Work

I have Ad-Aware Plus 2007 and I’ve set up a scheduled scan each day at 4:00 pm and a web update at 4:30 pm, and I’ve done this based upon following the directions in the Help menu. However when each day at 4:00 & 4:30 pm rolls around I don’t see anything happening. I assumed the Ad-Aware window would automatically open and the scan would start, at least this is the way other scans work, but nothing happens.

I’d appreciate any help you could give me.

Thanks very much.

Hi csmith,

AAW 2007 Plus/Pro was revised so that scheduled scans run in the background - check and see if the AAW 2007 icon appears in your system tray at 4pm (or open Taskmanager and see if the scan is running).

The web-update would similarly run in the background - the AdAware event.log should show if the update search is occurring (default path = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\logs - a text file). Scan logs would be in the same folder, based on date eg: Ad-Aware 20071012 12-56-23.log (choose the text file, not the.xml version).

Regards,

Spike

The Ad-Aware window will not open during scheduled scans, but you should see a small rotating gkobe in the icon tray during the scheduled scan if it runs like it should.

Can you check the log files to see if there are any logs corresponding to your scheduled scans?

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\logs\

Regards, Tobias

The Ad-Aware window will not open during scheduled scans, but you should see a small rotating gkobe in the icon tray during the scheduled scan if it runs like it should.

Can you check the log files to see if there are any logs corresponding to your scheduled scans?

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\logs\

Regards, Tobias

You mentioned a small rotating globe in the icon tray during the scan. I don't have that. Perhaps I made a wrong decision during the installation not realizing what it would do. How can I get that option back?

I did find the log file and the last scan was run at the scheduled time. But if everything works in the background, how will I be notified if something needs attention? Does a window pop up asking me if I want to remove ad-ware or whatever was found?

Thanks again for your help.

Hi csmith,

You mentioned a small rotating globe in the icon tray during the scan....How can I get that option back?

I personally had no scheduled scans, so I set a Smart scan and opened TaskManager - it showed the scan running but no globe icon. Tried again with the same result. Then I changed my Ad-Watch settings to include "Blink Tray Icon" (nothing to do with any scheduled scan, I admit) - the globe appeared in the next Smart scan that I scheduled. I then de-selected that option and the globe icon now appears every time a scan is scheduled... not sure why, but it worked.

...if everything works in the background, how will I be notified if something needs attention? Does a window pop up asking me if I want to remove ad-ware or whatever was found?

Tobias may well correct me on this, but my advice would be to set your scan options carefully.

In the settings for AAW 2007 Plus, on the "Auto Scans" tab select all of the options in the "Safety" section - that will . Also, set your preferred level for "Automatically remove infections with TAI higher than xx".

Any item above the selected TAI level would be detected during a (background) scheduled scan and automatically put into Quarantine. If a False-Positive is later discovered (see False Positives ), you could always restore any such item.

To check for any items detected during a scan, on the main Status window of AAW 2007, look at the "Last infection" date in the System Scan section on the right-hand side.

In my Ad-Watch settings, I have "Restore window on new events" selected - since I have never had any infection (touch wood), I can't be certain and the Manual isn't specific, but the Ad-Watch GUI may pop-up if a major threat is discovered (note the word "may" - I will clarify the issue with the Devs). It would certainly alert you in the course of normal surfing, if a serious event occured.

Regards,

Spike

Regards, Tobias

Hi Tobias,

I did what you did and checked “Blink Tray Icon†but I don’t have a rotating globe when the scan is running. What I do have now is a blinking Ad-Watch icon with the “bugâ€on it in the my tray. Problem is, it’s been blinking ever since I checked “Blink Tray Icon†but have no idea what it means. Does this blinking icon relate to something?

In the Help menu of Ad-Aware, when I key in blink, it bring up information about scheduling, and it says:

“The Ad-Aware 2007 icon in the notification area of your taskbar will begin to blink, and a message will appear to let you know when a scheduled scan has begun and finished.†But I don’t have an Ad-aware icon in my tray and no message appears to let me know when a scheduled scan has begun and finished. How can I set things to get the Ad-Aware icon in my tray and to be notified when the scheduled scan starts and finishes?

Thanks for your help.

Hi csmith,

I did what you did and checked “Blink Tray Icon” but I don’t have a rotating globe when the scan is running.

By the way, that was my suggestion (ie: Spike) not Tobias.

First of all, you can un-check “Blink Tray Icon” - as I said in my post above, it has "nothing to do with any scheduled scan, I admit". What it does do is alert you to new Events, which are listed in your Ad-Watch Event Log (under the Status tab in Ad-Watch). Recorded here are detected changes in registry settings - most everyday programs, such Internet Explorer, will make small changes as you surf.

Please read the page in the Help File for Ad-Watch RegShield and then if you wish to reduce the number of events being recorded, go to the User List on the RegShield tab, and set the registry access rights for the applications listed - Allow, Block or Not Set. As you will see from my own User List, I have allowed certain programs and left the rest as Not Set:

Ad_Watch___RegShield___User_List_2.gif

If you are not sure what a particular program does, leave it unset and it will continue to be detected in the Event Log. Should a serious threat be detected, the Ad-Watch GUI would pop up automatically.

Now, back to your original problem.

I have had an exhange of PMs with LS Tobias, who agreed with the settings that I recommended as posted above for a scheduled scan (or any other type of scan).

A revision of the Help File/Manual sections on what occurs during and after a (background) Scheduled Scan is now likely.

As to why the "globe Icon" is not appearing for you, I would not be too concerned - you know the time that they are set for and you have already confirmed from the Log that they are running when they should. Therefore even if you don't get the Globe (and that is what is meant by the "message" as of now), you can always check the scan log if you are at all worried.

The whole point of a scheduled scan is that you don't have the GUI (program window) open showing the scan progress each time - if you want it to show, run the scans manually and look at the scan-result page when it finishes (which is what I do :rolleyes: )

Regards,

Spike

Sign in to follow this