Sign in to follow this  
mercurius

Help! Scans taking hours to run

Whenever I set the scan to run it is taking hours for the scans to run.

Yesterday, I sent it to run and at the time of writing it still hasn't finished and it's been running for 15 1/2 hours. This can't be right.

Can anyone please suggest what may be wrong and how to fix it?

Thanks,

mercurius

Hi mercurius,

it's been running for 15 1/2 hours. This can't be right

You are correct - there is obviously some kind of problem here. My last Full Scan took less than 8 minutes to scan over 200,000 items.

The following information would also be useful in pinpointing the cause of your problems:

1) What is your OS (ie: Win XP, Vista32)?

2) What other security software is running at the same time (ie: anti-virus, anti-malware, firewall, etc)?

3) Which version (Free, Plus or Pro) of AAW 2007 are you using ?

4) Have you updated to to the latest software version, v7.0.2.3.?

Regards,

Spike

Spike

Thanks for your offer of help. The answers to your questions:

1) OS is Windows XP

2) Antivirus software running is AVG Internet Security v7.5

3) AAW Plus 2007

4) Yes, I am running v 7.0.2.3

Thanks,

mercurius

Hi mercurius,

You didn't say what your firewall is - is there one included in your AVG Internet Security?

If not, would it happen to be ZoneAlarm? I only ask because there is a known issue with running AAW 2007 at the same time as AVG and ZoneAlarm (currently being addressed by the Devs).

Regards,

Spike

Hi mercurius,

OK, thats obviously not the problem. Three questions for now:

1) With your scanning taking so long, is there a particular file/folder or part of the scan (ie: GUID scanning) where the scan appears to get bogged down?

2) On the "Settings > Scanning" tab, under "Scanning options", do you have the "Skip files larger that xxx kb" set (green)? If not, try a setting of say 5000, in case AAW 2007 is getting stuck on a large or compressed file.

3) Have you tried a Custom Scan, selecting a smaller number of known files/folders, to see if that goes through in a more respectable scan-time?

Regards,

Spike

Spike,

Thanks for your suggestions:

1) It seems to complete about 75% of the scan in about 15 minutes. Can't see where it is getting stuck.

2) Don't see the point of skipping files of this size. Why bother with Ad Aware is this is the case?

3) No haven't tried this - but again why would I need AdAware if I do this?

Support suggest switching off the firewall (!). Sounds to me that there is a problem with Ad Aware.

mercurius

mercurius,

Spike is only suggesting shutting off different parts of the scan as a means of troubleshooting. If we figure out where something goes wrong with the scan, we can take the appropriate measures to fix the problem.

In this case it looks like there might be a conflict with AVG that causes Ad-Aware to "get stuck" during scans - turning the firewall off during a scan could confirm this suspicion.

Regards, Tobias

mercurius,

Spike is only suggesting shutting off different parts of the scan as a means of troubleshooting. If we figure out where something goes wrong with the scan, we can take the appropriate measures to fix the problem.

In this case it looks like there might be a conflict with AVG that causes Ad-Aware to "get stuck" during scans - turning the firewall off during a scan could confirm this suspicion.

I can confirm that. I first had also a "scan freeze", but when I de-activated the background-guard-function of my anti-virus-software (AVK 2007) afterwards the smart scan worked properly.

Greetings

Axel

Sign in to follow this