Sign in to follow this  
lee8888

"Unable to remove File" error still not fixed after software update

Lavasoft said the new software update would correct the error message "unable to remove file" that pops up in the middle of a scan and stops it, but after running software update, absolutely nothing has changed. And Tobias, if you read this, the message itself is not the only problem...after the message, if a scan is run, no cookies at all are found, after deleting just a few of over 100; something is wrong besides the message itself. This occurs every scan I run now, I'm sorry I ever downloaded AA007 and will soon get rid of it since this problem has occurred since this product came out.

I am sorry for being unclear in my last message - the fix for the error message was never meant to be included in the update that went out yesterday although I can see how my post could have been interpreted that way. We are working on the overhaul right now and it should be included in the next update. We do not have a release date for that update as of yet.

You say that the message pops up "in the middle of a scan" - do you mean that it appears during the actual scan or at the scan results screen when you are trying to remove infections/cookies?

If scans after these messages find no cookies I would assume that is because there are no cookies to be found.

It would be helpful if you gave a step-by-step description of what happens when you scna and remove objects.

Regards, Tobias

I am sorry for being unclear in my last message - the fix for the error message was never meant to be included in the update that went out yesterday although I can see how my post could have been interpreted that way. We are working on the overhaul right now and it should be included in the next update. We do not have a release date for that update as of yet.

You say that the message pops up "in the middle of a scan" - do you mean that it appears during the actual scan or at the scan results screen when you are trying to remove infections/cookies?

If scans after these messages find no cookies I would assume that is because there are no cookies to be found.

It would be helpful if you gave a step-by-step description of what happens when you scna and remove objects.

Regards, Tobias

I was unclear; the error message appears after running the scan and during the removal of infections/cookies. But if it finds 100 tracking cookies for example, it will start removing, then the error message appears as previously described. So only a small portion of the 100 have been removed and when you try to run another scan right after, NONE are found, even though many have not been removed due to the error message stopping the removal process.

Also, just a side note, another problem that has been ongoing since day one is after a complete scan/removal, certain websites lose their personal info identity cookies (earthlink, "webshots" and others) and the cookies can't be put in ignore list because they can't be identified; this problem was never resolved either. Thanks

Can you check the scan log and confirm that the cookies weren't removed?

Regards, Tobias

No way to tell from "scan log" what was removed but under the "scan summary" it showed 88 infections and just 7 deleted (that error message saying 'unable to remove file' came up almost immediately). Also under scan summary it said 'user aborted scan so not all infections may be logg" and it cuts off at "logg" doesn't even complete the sentence (yet another bug in this thing!). And I never aborted the scan, it does it on its own when that error message appears!!

If you guys can fix this, fine. I am tired of messing with lavasoft problems since June. If it's not fixed I have no choice but to dump it!!

Can you see what section is being scanned when the scan aborts?

Regards, Tobias

Like I said, it is not during the scan that it aborts, but during the removal process- usually near the beginning; no way to tell what file "can not be removed." This happens almost every time after I scan and try to remove all the tracking cookies. But again, with many or most of them not removed, because the removal process is aborted, when a scan is run right after, it finds 0. I don't know how else to explain it.

Like I said, it is not during the scan that it aborts, but during the removal process- usually near the beginning; no way to tell what file "can not be removed." This happens almost every time after I scan and try to remove all the tracking cookies. But again, with many or most of them not removed, because the removal process is aborted, when a scan is run right after, it finds 0. I don't know how else to explain it.

I am having the same problem. It says that the selected objects will be removed when the computer is restarted, but they are never removed. It finds the same things when I scan it again right after I restart the computer.

I'm getting the same problem. During removal, it says there was a file that couldn't be removed, but it would be removed after I restarted the computer. There was still about 100 cookies still left to remove, and after the message, it wouldn't let me remove the rest of them. :)

I'm getting the same problem. During removal, it says there was a file that couldn't be removed, but it would be removed after I restarted the computer. There was still about 100 cookies still left to remove, and after the message, it wouldn't let me remove the rest of them. :lol:

I've been posting since June about this and they have done nothing. Maybe if enough people post about this, Tobias/Lavasoft will investigate further and fix it, if it's just one or two people they won't.(The same goes for having to re-log in to certain websites after every a scan because personal tracking cookies are deleted when they shouldn't be and there's no way to identify them).

I'm getting the same problem. During removal, it says there was a file that couldn't be removed, but it would be removed after I restarted the computer. There was still about 100 cookies still left to remove, and after the message, it wouldn't let me remove the rest of them. :)

Add me to the list of people having the exact same problem. According to my statistics, I've had 828 infections discovered, but only 369 have been removed; that is for a total of 6 scans! As others have reported, after the program has detected the "infections," I click on the "Remove" button and the process stops with the message about "the file" not being able to be removed and it would be removed after I restarted the computer. The complete removal never happens. This does NOT happen during the scan process, only during the removal process.

I have tried deleting the found items one at a time (hoping to find the problem file), but the program won't let me do that either.

Also, just a side note, another problem that has been ongoing since day one is after a complete scan/removal, certain websites lose their personal info identity cookies (earthlink, "webshots" and others) and the cookies can't be put in ignore list because they can't be identified; this problem was never resolved either.

And as lee88 said, the program does seem to be able to consistently remove my personal info cookies for some Web sites---cookies that shouldn't be removed. Unfortunately, there is no way to check the logs to see what is being removed. This just adds to the frustration.

I am using the free version of Ad-Aware 2007 on a computer running Windows XP (SP2).

I realize this is a free program, but it's definitely no way to encourage users to upgrade to the Plus or Pro versions. Again, it is not the error message that is the problem per se, it is the inability to delete anything after the message pops up; just fixing the error message won't necessarily fix the overriding problem. I never had these problems with the previous versions and I think it's just about time to dump Lavasoft.

silverltd

Edited by silverltd

Tobias or whoever at Lavasoft---Before the postings from the several people below are moved to the next page and are forgotten or ignored forever, like other issues here have been, please at least acknowledge them and let us know that this problem is being addressed and not just ignored!! When you don't respond and leave people hanging, that is exactly what it looks like. Thanks

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lavasoft said the new software update would correct the error message "unable to remove file" that pops up in the middle of a scan and stops it, but after running software update, absolutely nothing has changed. And Tobias, if you read this, the message itself is not the only problem...after the message, if a scan is run, no cookies at all are found, after deleting just a few of over 100; something is wrong besides the message itself. This occurs every scan I run now, I'm sorry I ever downloaded AA007 and will soon get rid of it since this problem has occurred since this product came out.

LS Tobias

View Member Profile

Add as Friend

Send Message

Find Member's Topics

Find Member's Posts Nov 1 2007, 10:49 AM Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Moderator

Member No.: 16,629

Regards, Tobias

lee88

View Member Profile

Add as Friend

Send Message

Find Member's Topics

Find Member's Posts Nov 1 2007, 03:16 PM Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Members

Member No.: 28,667

QUOTE(LS Tobias @ Nov 1 2007, 10:49 AM)

Regards, Tobias

I was unclear; the error message appears after running the scan and during the removal of infections/cookies. But if it finds 100 tracking cookies for example, it will start removing, then the error message appears as previously described. So only a small portion of the 100 have been removed and when you try to run another scan right after, NONE are found, even though many have not been removed due to the error message stopping the removal process.

Also, just a side note, another problem that has been ongoing since day one is after a complete scan/removal, certain websites lose their personal info identity cookies (earthlink, "webshots" and others) and the cookies can't be put in ignore list because they can't be identified; this problem was never resolved either. Thanks

LS Tobias

View Member Profile

Add as Friend

Send Message

Find Member's Topics

Find Member's Posts Nov 1 2007, 04:26 PM Post #4

Advanced Member

Regards, Tobias

lee88

View Member Profile

Add as Friend

Send Message

Find Member's Topics

Find Member's Posts Nov 1 2007, 08:52 PM Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE(LS Tobias @ Nov 1 2007, 04:26 PM)

Regards, Tobias

No way to tell from "scan log" what was removed but under the "scan summary" it showed 88 infections and just 7 deleted (that error message saying 'unable to remove file' came up almost immediately). Also under scan summary it said 'user aborted scan so not all infections may be logg" and it cuts off at "logg" doesn't even complete the sentence (yet another bug in this thing!). And I never aborted the scan, it does it on its own when that error message appears!!

If you guys can fix this, fine. I am tired of messing with lavasoft problems since June. If it's not fixed I have no choice but to dump it!!

LS Tobias

View Member Profile

Add as Friend

Send Message

Find Member's Topics

Find Member's Posts Nov 2 2007, 09:46 AM Post #6

Advanced Member

Regards, Tobias

lee88

View Member Profile

Add as Friend

Send Message

Find Member's Topics

Find Member's Posts Nov 2 2007, 03:56 PM Post #7

Advanced Member

Regards, Tobias

cinwhite

View Member Profile

Add as Friend

Send Message

Find Member's Topics

Find Member's Posts Nov 4 2007, 02:42 AM Post #8

Member No.: 40,623

I am having the same problem. It says that the selected objects will be removed when the computer is restarted, but they are never removed. It finds the same things when I scan it again right after I restart the computer.

Mirage

View Member Profile

Add as Friend

Send Message

Find Member's Topics

Find Member's Posts Nov 4 2007, 02:34 PM Post #9

Member No.: 33,067

I'm getting the same problem. During removal, it says there was a file that couldn't be removed, but it would be removed after I restarted the computer. There was still about 100 cookies still left to remove, and after the message, it wouldn't let me remove the rest of them.

lee88

View Member Profile

Add as Friend

Send Message

Find Member's Topics

Find Member's Posts Nov 4 2007, 06:12 PM Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Mirage @ Nov 4 2007, 02:34 PM)

I'm getting the same problem. During removal, it says there was a file that couldn't be removed, but it would be removed after I restarted the computer. There was still about 100 cookies still left to remove, and after the message, it wouldn't let me remove the rest of them.

I've been posting since June about this and they have done nothing. Maybe if enough people post about this, Tobias/Lavasoft will investigate further and fix it, if it's just one or two people they won't.(The same goes for having to re-log in to certain websites after every a scan because personal tracking cookies are deleted when they shouldn't be and there's no way to identify them).

silverltd

View Member Profile

Add as Friend

Send Message

Find Member's Topics

Find Member's Posts Nov 5 2007, 02:10 AM Post #11

Member No.: 40,719

QUOTE(Mirage @ Nov 4 2007, 08:34 AM)

Add me to the list of people having the exact same problem. According to my statistics, I've had 828 infections discovered, but only 369 have been removed; that is for a total of 6 scans! As others have reported, after the program has detected the "infections," I click on the "Remove" button and the process stops with the message about "the file" not being able to be removed and it would be removed after I restarted the computer. The complete removal never happens. This does NOT happen during the scan process, only during the removal process.

I have tried deleting the found items one at a time (hoping to find the problem file), but the program won't let me do that either.

QUOTE(lee88 @ Nov 1 2007, 10:49 AM)

Also, just a side note, another problem that has been ongoing since day one is after a complete scan/removal, certain websites lose their personal info identity cookies (earthlink, "webshots" and others) and the cookies can't be put in ignore list because they can't be identified; this problem was never resolved either.

And as lee88 said, the program does seem to be able to consistently remove my personal info cookies for some Web sites---cookies that shouldn't be removed. Unfortunately, there is no way to check the logs to see what is being removed. This just adds to the frustration.

I am using the free version of Ad-Aware 2007 on a computer running Windows XP (SP2).

I realize this is a free program, but it's definitely no way to encourage users to upgrade to the Plus or Pro versions. Again, it is not the error message that is the problem per se, it is the inability to delete anything after the message pops up; just fixing the error message won't necessarily fix the overriding problem. I never had these problems with the previous versions and I think it's just about time to dump Lavasoft.

silverltd

This post has been edited by silverltd: Nov 5 2007, 02:22 AM

First: please do not start a new thread for the same topic. It only makes it harder for us to get an overview of the active issues. If you feel the need to post, do so in the same thread. I read everything in this subforum even if I don't have time to reply to all questions.

That being said. we have not forgotten about this issue. As I have said earlier in this thread we are working on an overhaul of the error messages in Ad-Aware and this includes the abortion of scans that people in this thread has experienced.

Regards, Tobias

Sign in to follow this