Sign in to follow this  
2harts4ever

CEAPl.dll woes continue!

Good afternoon,

Just when I thought it was safe to come out of the water ... JAWS returns!

What I mean by this is a few weeks back I was having problems with Ad-Aware 2007 (Free) crashing when it reached the Opera cookies. Someone came up with a temporary fix of just un-selecting 'scan for tracking cookies' to fix it. Then somehow, someway, this problem disappeared even when I enabled the search for tracking cookies function. My original post is here: Original Post

However, this pesky problem has reared its ugly head again ever since I updated to definition version 0032 (a few days ago) and then 0033 (today).

Once again, if I disable the function 'search for tracking cookies' the scan will complete as normal. But when having it check for tracking cookies it causes a crash when reaching the Opera cookies.

My crashes normally happen about 18-20 seconds into a 'quick' scan. My attached photo shows it much further than that but that is because it took me that long to figure out how to take the picture ....lol

One side note is today after updating to 0033 and seeing it showed as being updated 11-12-07 I then ran a scan which crashed when it got to the Opera cookies. However, when I went back to the programs initial page it still showed the definition file as 0033 but the update date had reverted to 11-08-07 which was the date I updated to 0032.

This is the error message for my current problem:

CEAPl.dll woes continue

Hopefully Lavasoft will get to the bottom of this problem soon because right now I am starting to lean towards just not using it at all until this bug or bugs are ironed out.

Ad-Aware 2007 is much too good of a program to be left 'flouncing around like a wounded duck'.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever :):wub:

Howdy,

Problem solved! A simple uninstall and reinstall did the trick. Everything back to normal (if there is such a thing ....lol).

Have a good day!

Regards,

2harts4ever

I closed this post this morning, but have now opened it again as I just read your post in CC. Do you still have a problem or is the post in CC an old one even though the time stamp was later?

Morning Pierre67,

I appreciate your response. The reason you read about the crashing problem reoccurring in CC instead of here is yesterday I couldn't get through to this forum for the majority of the day.

But to answer your question ... yes ... the 'CEAPl.dll' crashing problem is back.

Everything is the same as I described in this post:

Just when I thought it was safe to come out of the water ... JAWS returns!

What I mean by this is a few weeks back I was having problems with Ad-Aware 2007 (Free) crashing when it reached the Opera cookies. Someone came up with a temporary fix of just un-selecting 'scan for tracking cookies' to fix it. Then somehow, someway, this problem disappeared even when I enabled the search for tracking cookies function. My original post is here: Original Post

However, this pesky problem has reared its ugly head again ever since I updated to definition version 0032 (a few days ago) and then 0033 (today).

Once again, if I disable the function 'search for tracking cookies' the scan will complete as normal. But when having it check for tracking cookies it causes a crash when reaching the Opera cookies.

My crashes normally happen about 18-20 seconds into a 'quick' scan. My attached photo shows it much further than that but that is because it took me that long to figure out how to take the picture ....lol

This is the error message for my current problem: CEAPl.dll Problem

Hopefully Lavasoft will get to the bottom of this problem soon because right now I am starting to lean towards just not using it at all until this bug or bugs are ironed out.

Ad-Aware 2007 is much too good of a program to be left 'flouncing around like a wounded duck'.

Hope this helps and I apologize for the confusion I might have caused you and others.

But the fact remains ... something is wrong.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever ;);)

I have just gone right back and read all the postings. My first reaction is that Opera may be causing the problem. But why would the problem go away and come back??? I am going to have a look on my laptop and see what that dll does. Obviously it is a link but I will try to find what it tries to hook into.

Have you tried scanning with Opera shut down (also clear out cookies). That would be my first step at this time. Keep your fingers and hearts crossed. ;)

Hi Pierre67,

I appreciate you trying to check this out.

One thing I want to stress a little more is when I don't allow scanning of the Opera cookies Ad-Aware 2007 works just fine. It is when I enable scanning Opera cookies that the CEAPl.dll problem comes out.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever :wub::wub:

The LS forum is not sending me email notifications again. I will have to change my email address again to overcome this problem. I don't know when someone had replied to a post. So just hang in there.

Keep fingers crossed. I am going to install Opera on my laptop and see what happens.

Opera now installed on laptop. Now awaiting results. :):wub::wub:

Edited by Pierre67

Well, at least you have a sense of humour. I have installed it on laptop and tried to install on desktop as well. It will not install on desktop as I have a paid version of Site Advisor installed and flags Opera as a yellow site and wants me to switch off protection. So far no crashes on laptop but early days yet. I run XP2 with I/E7 and Firefox as browsers. Not overimpressed with Opera - looks a bit sparse. AAW 2007 PRO is LS software besides S&D etc etc etc. :lol:

I just hope it will crash for your sake, else we are back to square uno. Still not getting email notifications so may have to change email address to another one. :) Don't know what your time zone is but we are 16 hours ahead of New York.

Hi Pierre67,

Well, at least you have a sense of humour.

To have anything to do with computers I think it is a required trait ...lol

I think one of the key players in this 'CEAPl.dll' drill is Spybot Search and Destroy along with AAW2007 and the Opera browser.

By this I mean it seems as if when I select to immunize my Opera Cookies and protect them with my Spybot program this is where the 'CEAPl.dll' module problem rears its unwanted head and causes AAW2007 to crash on my computer.

However, if I elect not to immunize (protect) the Opera cookies in Spybot the AAW2007 completes each and every scan successfully.

So, in order to keep my 65 year-old 'brain-housing group' (mind) from exploding, I am choosing to just have Spybot not immunize the Opera cookies until Lavasoft comes up with a workable solution.

Like you I don't use Opera as my main Browser. I still cling to IE7 and occasionally test the 'waters' in both Firefox and Opera.

I just don't having a program that gets the 'hic-cups' and I can't discover what is causing it.

Have a great day and I appreciate you trying to find an answer to this problem.

Rest assured, by the sounds of the forum, many others are glad you are trying too.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever :):lol:

PS: I am in the Eastern Time Zone

Edited by 2harts4ever

2 hearts4ever, good news. I managed to crash AAW on a Custom Scan twice. It is definitely Opera that is causing the problem and it has something to do with the cookies. After the second crash I cleared them out and AAW scans without a hiccup.

I managed to take 2 snap shots an have posted them here as well. I also clicked DEBUG but am unable to find the file it supposedly created. I have done a search on the whole of the drive but really don't know what to look for. Maybe someone looking at this post will and let me know. I can recreate the problem at will now.

I will now keep an eye open but I think there is a conflict between Opera and AAW. I also updated S&D this morning and AAW Adwatch kept crashing on my desktop. I found some residual Opera files under Document and Settings>Owner>Application data - it still had an Opera folder sitting there. Deleting that took the boxes out of Immunize in S&D and fixed the problem.

Let's wait and see if any person adds a post.

Hi Pierre67,

Will do ......

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever ;);)

Hi,

I have the same problem as described. Using XP SP2, Opera, Spybot(1.5) and AdAware2007 (7.0.2.5, defs34, free version).

There is defenitely a link between Opera and the aaw2007-crash. I do not see the link with Spybot, but with the cookies in Opera. They must be deleted for the scan to succeed (for all users on the PC).

There is a function in aaw2007 to clear cookies (Tools & Plug Ins/Track Sweep). Running this first seems to work around the problem, or removing them in Opera itself.

Best regards and waiting for a fix....

KnutE

I think the reason you don't find the dump files from the crash, is that they are removed once you close the crash dialog. You need to ALT-TAB to the explorer or similar and locate the file and read them before you close the "crash-report".

If you think I had forgotten about this problem - no! :)

I have finally managed to pin it down and am in the process of documenting it. Once done I will post it here. I have actually managed to capture the error files and a huge 57 MB dump. I will try to make it as accurate as possible but first indications are is is neither AAW or Opera that is causing the problem. I think it is the S&D updates. :)

I have made up a text file so read and digest.

This is the scenario on my laptop 23 Nov 2007.

AAW 2007 2.0.2.5 was updated to reflect definitions 0035.0000

System was rebooted.

Spybot - Search and Destroy was manually updated as per my schedule.

System was rebooted.

Then ran AAW 2007 Custom Scan with drives C and D selected.

Scan crashed with CEAPPI.dll error.

Managed to capture JPG as per previous post. Also captured folder "WERd05.dir00".

It contained two text files and two dumps. I have attached the two text files and the smaller dump file. The larger dump file is 58 mb so too large.

Then cleared Opera cookies only using Tracksweep in AAW 2007. Custom Scan then ran several times without error.

The only common item to all this was the update to Spybot - Search and Destroy.

Open for all comments.

Clash between Spybot S&D, Opera Browser and Ad-Aware 2007

I have been tracking this problem for a few weeks. I can now finally confirm if Spybot S&D,

Opera Browser and Ad-Aware 2007 are installed at the same time every time the update on

Spybot S&D is run (Fridays in my case) Ad-Aware 2007 develops a bug when trying to run a

Scheduled Scan. This bug appears after immunizing the S&D database after updating. I have

managed to track it down to the Opera Cookie update in the immunization process.

To overcome this problem AAW 2007 has to be activated and the cookies cleared from Tools

and Plugins>Tracksweep then highlight Opera cookies (or all) and click clean. Till this is done Ad-

Aware 2007 scanning will not work correctly.

Please do not take this to read there is a bug in Spybot Search and Destroy, Lavasoft AAW

2007 or Opera Browser as this only started to show when Lavasoft updated from SE to

AAW 2007. Obviously there is a software glitch somewhere but beyond my scope of

knowledge.

Any comments welcome. This has also been posted in the CastleCops forum.

The reply I have received from LS is that they try to replicate the error. Till then there is nothing more I am able to do for you. I have also notified Spybot S&D but no answer from them as yet.

Meanwhile it may pay to remove the Opera protection from S&D or go to Firefox as an alternate browser. I have been using it for years without any problems. You may also want to install a free version of Site Advisor for I/E and FF.

Edited by Pierre67

Hi Peter,

The reply I have received from LS is that they try to replicate the error. Till then there is nothing more I am able to do for you. I have also notified Spybot S&D but no answer from them as yet.

I appreciate all your information and your willingness to try to get to the bottom of this problem.

Have a great weekend!

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever :D :angry:

No news but the bug is still there. I had it again on 8 Dec when I updated S&D definitions. Do you want me to follow it up again?

Hi Peter,

I still have the problem here too.

It surprises me that Lavasoft hasn't come up with a fix yet. In the past they have been 'johnny on the spot' when it comes to putting out needed fixes and tweaks.

Right now I am just not scanning Opera cookies so I can use the program. But, I have to admit, it sometimes feels as if I am being forced to put one arm behind my back just to partially use the program.

Do you want me to follow it up again?

Go for it! We have nothing to lose and our sanity to gain ...lol

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever ;);)

LS have managed to reproduce the bug. See attached:

Hi Peter,

Yes, still being looked at. :) Haven't forgotten this issue.

I have finally been able to reproduce it with consistency using Opera & Spybot and am in email correspondence with Lennart who is trying to figure out what is causing this to freeze Ad-Aware. It could be something beyond our control - but don't know really until he can figure out the cause of it.

I think meanwhile to either undo the immunize in Spybot if you are going to scan with Ad-Aware or remove your opera cookies from being scanned by Ad-Aware for now if you are using Spybot and immunize with Opera. It's a bit like the problems we run into with malware removal when a user has several protection softwares all protecting the same thing. Sometimes, the "fix" won't work because some other program's protection feature is blocking it and we have to get them to disable the additional security softwares temporarily to remove the malware.

So that is the best I can do for now. BTW I notice this subject has had 600 hits on it.

Sign in to follow this