Sign in to follow this  
Moby Duck

Can I install Ad-Aware 2007 over Ad-Aware SE Personal?

I am disappointed to read that Ad Aware SE Personal will expire on 31st December, so I'll be forced to update to Ad-Aware 2007 Free. Now: can I install Ad-Aware 2007 over Ad Aware SE Personal, or do I have to remove Ad Aware SE Personal and install 2007 separately? My computer runs on Windows XP Home SP2, has Norton AntiVirus 2003, IE7 and Mozilla Firefox 2.0. No compatibility problems, I hope...

No, it won't install over the top of the older SE. You should uninstall your SE version first (and if you don't - the install of Ad-Aware 2007 will do the uninstall anyway).

There shouldn't be any compatibility problems with those software versions you have. You might want to temporarily disable your AV or other security software in case they squawk on the install, then re-able them after you've done the install. That is usually advised on any type of software install.

Just curious, isn't the Norton 2003 a bit out of date? Just wondering as that is pretty old version.

Just like our Ad-Aware upgrade to 2007, that is because of the need for the software to run elevated privileges on the system in order to combat today's modern malware methods which resist removal in older version. I would think that the Newer versions of Norton also have upgraded the software to deal today's really tough malware issues. Our need to revise Ad-Aware completely arose from the need to adjust for the new tricks being pulled by malware currently in the wild. It has other features that are updated too (like the updating mechanism and other things). SE is just plain outdated to deal with today's malware

Thank you very much for your answer. In that case, I will remove Ad-Aware SE Personal via the control panel and install 2007 afterwards. About Norton AntiVirus 2003: Yes, it is old, but I still get updates for the virus definition files (although there are admittedly no more driver/engine/software updates). I am not that keen on uninstalling it because 1: I don't know whether I should first uninstall it and then install a new version or let the new version simply install over it and 2: I believe uninstalling Norton is a headache and it will insist on leaving entries in the registry even after uninstalling, and the Symantec Live Update feature has to be uninstalled separately. So I have no idea how to proceed with updating to a newer version of Norton and I'm afraid that deinstalling it will wreck my computer. But I suppose that as long as I subscribe for the latest virus definition files it's okay...?

As for Ad-Aware - that sounds good. A "clean" install is always best (remove the old version via the Control Panel *Add/Remove Programs* and then install your new version).

As for the Norton questions, that is not my area of expertise but we do have a Norton Guru I can call on to come take a look at this topic and advise what is best to do about that. :) Her name is: SheehanHB - she is one of our Volunteer Security Advisors

Ohhh a Norton Guru sounds great. I don't have the Norton CD-ROM with me - it came preinstalled on my computer, i.e. the installation wizard/installer was already on the computer, and all I had to do was click on it and let the program install itself. I've got NAV 2003 as a stand-alone product, and whenever I've thought of shifting to the next version (2004, 2005 etc.), I've come across complaints about the difficulties of deinstalling Norton.

Thanks for all your time and trouble, and merry Christmas to you and your family!

Edited by Moby Duck

Merry Christmas to you Moby Duck :)

Yes, a Norton Guru is always good to have around. She is very helpful to our users here who are using it. I've asked her to pop over and take a look at your topic here so it being the Holidays, I don't know when that will be she but isn't away very long usually.

I'm sure she can help you get squared away and can recommend what will be best for you to do :)

I think all the problems with uninstalling and installing new versions has all been pretty much worked out by now but let's wait for SheehanHB to get here and advise. Her real name is Amy

Oh, and because Amy runs Norton and she was also one of our Beta Testers with Ad-Aware 2007 she'll be able to tell you about any possible conflicts (I don't think there were any with the stand-alone Norton AV)

Thanks for all your help - so far, Norton AntiVirus 2003 and Ad-Aware SE Personal have never been at each other's throats, or shall I say, modules and engines; and I never let both programs run scans at the same time (which I think would create more problems than solve them...). Thanks to Amy in advance as well.

PS: I remember that one of you (administrators) helped me three years ago with a particularly sneaky VX2 BetterInternet Object which I had downloaded from a dodgy site (in the shape of an MP3 file) and which ended up sitting in Windows Media Player and generating popups whenever I clicked on the Player. It also came bundled with a Winpup32 Trojan (I think that's what it was called) and I was at my wits' end until I came here! :-) Great to know that this forum is going as strong as ever!

Edited by Moby Duck

Ohhh a Norton Guru sounds great. I don't have the Norton CD-ROM with me - it came preinstalled on my computer, i.e. the installation wizard/installer was already on the computer, and all I had to do was click on it and let the program install itself. I've got NAV 2003 as a stand-alone product, and whenever I've thought of shifting to the next version (2004, 2005 etc.), I've come across complaints about the difficulties of deinstalling Norton.

Thanks for all your time and trouble, and merry Christmas to you and your family!

Sorry it took so long to get back to you -

Best way to me to give you the best answer to the NAV2003 version starts with a simple question -

??? When does your NAV2003 subscription expire???

-amy- :(

Thank you, Amy! It's really great that you're working on computer problems during Christmas as well. Well, my NAV 2003 subscription was renewed only two or three days ago - it lasts till 26th December 2008.

Thank you, Amy! It's really great that you're working on computer problems during Christmas as well. Well, my NAV 2003 subscription was renewed only two or three days ago - it lasts till 26th December 2008.

Now I need to know if you renewed your sub online with the Symantec store.

TAI :(

Yes, it was renewed online at the Symantec online shop for customers from Austria, Germany and Switzerland, and paid for via credit card. I also received the auto-confirmation from Symantec via e-mail after finishing the subscription renewal process.

Edited by Moby Duck

Yes, it was renewed online at the Symantec online shop for customers from Austria, Germany and Switzerland, and paid for via credit card. I also received the auto-confirmation from Symantec via e-mail after finishing the subscription renewal process.

It may take more than a day to get the info together from my Symantec contacts on how best to get you upgraded to the 2008 product - in essence trading in the renewal for the 2003 product which only provides for virus definition updates.

The 2003 PRODUCT is no longer updated - just the ability to update the definitions.

I can promise you that removing the older version is not the hassle it was in the past and that the newer releases are remarkably 'lite' compared to the NAV of old and I am surprised that you were given the option to renew.

I have used just about every Norton/Symantec product available since 1993 and I want to reassure you that you won't regret getting rid of 2003 .

I would just like to get official advice on how we can make this transistion as uncomplicated as possible for you. The uninstall and the new install are painless- Let me see what we can do about getting the subscription transferred with the least amount of hassle.

I'll get back to you asap

-amy- :(

It was my father who paid for the renewal subscription, which was why I was thinking of updating to a higher version of Norton only towards the end of next year (-> NAV 2009) since he has already paid for it; and I thought that as long as the virus definition updates are up to scratch it's still safe with NAV 2003...and I think you can still renew even the 2002 NAV version (virus definitions). Another solution would be to buy a boxed version of NAV 2008 and...well, let the subscription for 2003 go to waste, lol :-)

Edited by Moby Duck

It was my father who paid for the renewal subscription, which was why I was thinking of updating to a higher version of Norton only towards the end of next year (-> NAV 2009) since he has already paid for it; and I thought that as long as the virus definition updates are up to scratch it's still safe with NAV 2003...and I think you can still renew even the 2002 NAV version (virus definitions). Another solution would be to buy a boxed version of NAV 2008 and...well, let the subscription for 2003 go to waste, lol :-)

Best way to handle YOUR particular situation:

Go to:

https://www.suth.com/symantec/CreateOnlineCSTicket.asp

Create a ticket with all the info requested

You can either wait for them to call you OR schedule a time for them to call you if that's more convenient.

Explain that you renewed the subscription when you meant to upgrade to the 2008 product.

They should be able to transfer the renewal code for the upgraded product. It may cost 10.00 but I was ablet to avoid that charge when I explained the mistake. [i had this happen on an old desktop wtih NIS2003].

If you get no-where using this method, let me know and we can push it up a few notches.

-amy-

:)

I forgot to add some important info about Norton 2008 editions that you may not be aware of.

Norton 2008 products update Virus Definitions via Live Update a minimum of 3 times/day versus the once a week of 2003

Your 2008 product is licensed for use on THREE computers, not one.

Your 2008 product [ as long as the sub is current] will be eligible for a free upgrade to the next releases such as 2009's that generally are released late summer early fall and your sub will be good for that product thru the remainder of the term of the old release [ie Dec 2008- 2009]

Also the Symantec removal tool has been vastly improved and should you decide you do the upgrade I'll walk you thru it all to avoid any mishaps

Keep in touch !

-amy-

Hi Amy! Hope you had a nice Christmas! Thank you for looking into my Norton problem. Just installed Ad-Aware 2007. Is it really imperative that I deinstall NAV 2003? It has behaved very well all this time, or are virus definition updates insufficient? I would in any case prefer getting a boxed version of NAV 2008 (as a stand-alone product); if something went awry during the installation, I would at least still have the disc - something outside the computer, so to speak.

Now, if I want to deinstall NAV 2003 (and I'm still reluctant), what would I have to do? It obviously does not belong to the "lite" and easier versions of NAV.

Edited by Moby Duck

Hi Amy! Hope you had a nice Christmas! Thank you for looking into my Norton problem. Just installed Ad-Aware 2007. Is it really imperative that I deinstall NAV 2003? It has behaved very well all this time, or are virus definition updates insufficient? I would in any case prefer getting a boxed version of NAV 2008 (as a stand-alone product); if something went awry during the installation, I would at least still have the disc - something outside the computer, so to speak.

Now, if I want to deinstall NAV 2003 (and I'm still reluctant), what would I have to do? It obviously does not belong to the "lite" and easier versions of NAV.

Complete instructions for NAV2003 removal will be posted soon for you.

Sorry - first post got lost and I will have to pull the links again for you.

Keep in mind that XP and NAV and Ad-Aware have vastly changed in the past 5 years and you'd be best to be up to date with all 3.

IMO 2003 NAV was the worst to work with and had more problems than any other version I have ever used.

Hold on and I'll get the links and hints all together for you.

-amy-

Complete instructions for NAV2003 removal will be posted soon for you.

Sorry - first post got lost and I will have to pull the links again for you.

Keep in mind that XP and NAV and Ad-Aware have vastly changed in the past 5 years and you'd be best to be up to date with all 3.

IMO 2003 NAV was the worst to work with and had more problems than any other version I have ever used.

Hold on and I'll get the links and hints all together for you.

-amy-

Uninstalling Norton products on XP

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgen...;pkb=sharedtech

Choose Norton 2003 product http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...;pkb=sharedtech

Go to step 3 and choose XP OS - download NRT tool to desktop.

HINT: Turn off AutoUpdating before you run the tool - It will be a lifesaver.

We'll go to the best way to install the new NAV product after you follow all the instructions for removal and finish all the restarts.

:wub:

Thanks, Amy! But I really don't know what to do now. I've read bad reviews on amazon.com for both NAV 2003 (which has worked fine for me so far) AND for NAV 2008. I've also come across nightmare versions where deinstalling AND installing NAV versions would make the computer unbootable/unusable (I need the computer for my work and for university 24/7, and it was my parents who got it for me 4 years ago, so they wouldn't be pleased if I killed it off). I will be having exams in another few months, and the last thing I'll want is a crashed computer; and since my computer came with Windows XP Home pre-installed (I had to activate it, of course), there is no backup feature or so-called mirroring software to back up everything before I attempt to fiddle with Norton. I'll probably end up keeping NAV 2003 till May 2008 (when my exams are over) and then switch over to the new version. For now I think I'll save your download instructions and keep my NAV 2003. Or maybe not. I'll just have to see.

AutoUpdating: do you mean Live Update?

Edited by Moby Duck

Thanks a lot for your time and trouble, Amy, it is much appreciated, especially during the holiday season; and I know that I'm a terrible worrywart about my computer, but since 2008 is a major exam year for me, I am particularly anxious to keep it in good shape. I was wondering whether this Norton issue can be turned into a separate thread since it no longer corresponds to the original topic on installing Ad-Aware 2007 and uninstalling Ad-Aware SE Personal, i.e. split the Norton section away from the actual question of Ad-Aware?

I'll read up on NAV 2008 in the meantime. What is sure is that I won't be switching to another antivirus software brand. I had big problems with McAfee on my old computer, so it's not ending up on my current computer. Ever.

Another question: NAV 2003 already has its uninstaller. Is this uninstaller to be ignored and the tool from Symantec to be downloaded and run in its stead? Am going to bed now, it's soon going to be 1 A.M. in Switzerland here. Good night and thanks again!

Edited by Moby Duck

Thanks a lot for your time and trouble, Amy, it is much appreciated, especially during the holiday season; and I know that I'm a terrible worrywart about my computer, but since 2008 is a major exam year for me, I am particularly anxious to keep it in good shape. I was wondering whether this Norton issue can be turned into a separate thread since it no longer corresponds to the original topic on installing Ad-Aware 2007 and uninstalling Ad-Aware SE Personal, i.e. split the Norton section away from the actual question of Ad-Aware?

I'll read up on NAV 2008 in the meantime. What is sure is that I won't be switching to another antivirus software brand. I had big problems with McAfee on my old computer, so it's not ending up on my current computer. Ever.

Another question: NAV 2003 already has its uninstaller. Is this uninstaller to be ignored and the tool from Symantec to be downloaded and run in its stead? Am going to bed now, it's soon going to be 1 A.M. in Switzerland here. Good night and thanks again!

Run the untinstaller in Add/Remove first.

THEN go thru the steps in the NRT tool remover. That's the cleanup utility to remove all remnants and registry entries.

-amy-

Thanks - you have convinced me. I'll see if I can get the box version next month. Just three more questions: do I have to reboot my computer after uninstalling NAV 2003, or can I start installing NAV 2008 as soon as the old version has been kicked out? I guess I have to uninstall EVERY trace of Norton - Live Upate and all. Second question: what will happen to my Norton account? Will I have to create a new one with NAV 2008? And finally: how do I create a Restore point in case the deinstallation of NAV 2003/installation of NAV 2008 should go awry? Thanks for your patience :wub: I just hope that this major NAV change won't be too hard on a computer which is more than 4 years old.

Edited by Moby Duck

Thanks - you have convinced me. I'll see if I can get the box version next month. Just three more questions: do I have to reboot my computer after uninstalling NAV 2003, or can I start installing NAV 2008 as soon as the old version has been kicked out? I guess I have to uninstall EVERY trace of Norton - Live Upate and all. Second question: what will happen to my Norton account? Will I have to create a new one with NAV 2008? And finally: how do I create a Restore point in case the deinstallation of NAV 2003/installation of NAV 2008 should go awry? Thanks for your patience :) I just hope that this major NAV change won't be too hard on a computer which is more than 4 years old.

When you're ready to upgrade next month we can go thru it step by step.

My advice for now is to back up any important files on CD in the meantime - such as school related or email, not because I think you'll have a problem with the change, just for your piece of mind.

-amy- :wub:

Okay, I'll nip back sometime in January once I manage to get the box version of NAV 2008 (as a stand-alone product). I just ran a scan with Ad-Aware 2007, and since it displays system information, I wanted to ask if the below is enough to install NAV 2008 - 33% of available memory sounds really small to me! Is that normal? What can I do to free up memory?

System information

===========================

Number of processors: 2

Processor type: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.60GHz

Memory Available: 33%

Total Physical Memory: 536195072 Bytes

Available Physical Memory: 175689728 Bytes

Total Page File Size: 1310793728 Bytes

Available On Page File: 995835904 Bytes

Total Virtual Memory: 2147352576 Bytes

Available Virtual Memory: 1994006528 Bytes

Sign in to follow this