Sign in to follow this  
Moby Duck

Questions before downloading Ad-Aware 2007 (Free)

Computer specifications: Windows XP Home SP2 (with latest fixes and patches from the monthly Microsoftian patch-day), IE7, Mozilla Firefox 2, NAV 2003 and no other anti-spyware program.

I will be deinstalling my faithful version of Ad-Aware SE Personal (via control panel/add/remove programs) in order to update to the free version of Ad-Aware 2007. I read a couple of reviews, and it seems that Ad-Aware 2007 continues running even after the scan is finished. So my questions are:

1) Is this issue resolved or can it be terminated after the scan?

2) Why is Ad-Aware 2007 so much larger in size than Ad-Aware SE Personal, i.e. will it "eat" more ressources/memory/space?

3) I have always preferred to run Ad-Aware manually, i.e. NOT to have it load at computer startup. Will this still be possible in Ad-Aware 2007?

4) What are the recommended settings for the Ad-Aware 2007 features (there are new features with consequently new settings, and I am not such a Techie)?

5) Which is the safest site to download the program from (I am mortally scared of spyware like everyone else in this forum...)

Uhm...that's it. For now :-) Thank you for your time and trouble.

Edited by Moby Duck

Hi Moby Duck! I also loved using Ad-Aware SE Personal, and just uninstalled it yesterday via Add/Remove prior to downloading/installing and running Ad-Aware 2007 Free. I use Windows XP Home SP2 (updated to-date), IE6, NIS 2006 (up-to-date NAV & Firewall), and no other anti-spyware programs. Since I just went through this, I'll attempt to answer most of your excellent questions:

Ad-Aware 2007 continues running even after the scan is finished. So my questions are:

1) Is this issue resolved or can it be terminated after the scan?

After doing some reading myself, it looks like the option to keep Ad-Adware running in the background is only available if you purchase Ad-Aware. Unless my assumption is incorrect, Ad-Aware 2007 Free does not continue to run after it scans.

2) Why is Ad-Aware 2007 so much larger in size than Ad-Aware SE Personal, i.e. will it "eat" more ressources/memory/space?

I wish I knew :angry: I, too, noticed that it's huge, and perhaps someone else can answer this question.

3) I have always preferred to run Ad-Aware manually, i.e. NOT to have it load at computer startup. Will this still be possible in Ad-Aware 2007?

Yes: you still have the option to run Ad-Aware manually.

4) What are the recommended settings for the Ad-Aware 2007 features (there are new features with consequently new settings, and I am not such a Techie)?

When you download and install Ad-Aware, the default location is C:/Program Files/Lavasoft/Ad-Aware 2007/Help - you will see the Ad-Aware 2007 Manual in that folder (an HTML version). I also found this link for that file in pdf format: http://www.lavasoft.com/support/supportcen...e2007manual.pdf. I found the pdf file a little easier to use.

5) Which is the safest site to download the program from (I am mortally scared of spyware like everyone else in this forum...)

I used Download.com: http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-2007/3000...ml?tag=pdp_prod. This is one of the "safest sites" from which to download software.

Hope this helps! Good Luck :wub:

Hi Suze! Thank you very much for your answers! I'll go ahead with the deinstallation of Ad-Aware SE Personal and the installation of Ad-Aware 2007 tomorrow or day after tomorrow. Maybe a Moderator or Ad-Aware geek can tell us why Ad-Aware 2007 is so huge! It's like...20 or 22 MB? And SE Personal is less than half the size...Has Ad-Aware 2007 been running smoothly for you so far?

Okay, I got the following from another computer forum while searching for information on Ad-Aware 2007:

"My problem, as others mentioned in that link you referred to, is that even with the free version, once you terminate the program, aawservice.exe keeps running and consumes 20 to 30Mb of RAM!"

The citation (which refers to the free version of Ad-Aware 2007) dates from June 2007, so maybe something has been done about this "hungry" service in the meantime? Because it would really be a nuisance to have a space hog consuming so many MB of RAM!

I know I'm being rather fussy about this, but my computer is a solid four years old (and running very smoothly so far, touch wood!!!), and I am anxious to avoid having a program conk it out in some manner or the other...

Edited by Moby Duck

Hi back, Moby Duck! You're very welcome! I only ran Ad-Aware once, and that was yesterday; it ran smoothly, but seemed to take a little longer than SE did (I've read some comments that mentioned this as well, so I was prepared.).

Hopefully, someone will tell us soon about why the program is so huge. In response to your comment about aawservice.exe continuing to run after terminating the program, I've periodically checked my computer resources today [ctrl-alt-delete], and its usage is consistently between 2% and 4%, apparently not affected by the size.

I don't blame you for being fussy; you're doing the right thing by asking these questions! To help allay (some) of your concerns, there's a 'Restore Point' option that you can set prior to deleting/quarantining anything. I would review the pdf manual first to familiarize yourself with Ad-Aware before you use it. Good luck!

Hi again Suze, thanks a lot for all the information. I guess the aawservice.exe has to run because of the enhanced update feature I read about (I guess it's the equivalent of Symentec's Live Update). Considering that Ad-Aware 2007 is so much larger than the previous version, I guess it makes sense that it takes longer to scan because of the enhanced bells and whistles... :-)

Anyway, once I've downloaded and installed it (before 31st December in any case), I'll post back here (hopefully with only positive answers!).

Hi Moby Duck! Good points about why aawservice.exe has to continue running, along with why the scans take longer :angry:

I'll look forward to your post, after you have had good success! Happy (and spyware-free) 2008!

Hi Suze! Moby Duck again :-) Just one more question: did you deactivate your anti-virus software during the installation process or leave it on? I've been recommended to turn it off during installation, but I've installed quite a lot of stuff with it on and I feel kind of vulnerable without the scanner on (especially because I'm all the time connected to the internet via ADSL), so I'm not quite sure what to do. Thanks for all your time and trouble :-)

Hi, I 'inherited' a PC with the AD Aware SE and saw the note about downloading the new one. I only have used 10.5 GB and have 63.9 free. So I am assuming I am ok to uninstall and download the new one ? Thank you also for all the specs about optimum settings.

I also posted a question elsewhere which has not been answered but when I run SE it tells me I have a possible browser hijack from Gamehouse and that the site is blacklisted after I purchased a game a week or so ago. Does anyone know if 1) I should uninstall it and 2) how do I make sure there is nothing left in the registry?

Thanks so much and Happy New Year to everyone.

Hi pnkfloyd!

If Ad-Aware has blacklisted the game, then you're just going to have to deinstall it, even though you spent money on it. All the more reason to kick it out of your PC, because that website may abuse your paying/credit card information! The stuff probably comes bundled with malware, so you had better get rid of it, it has probably installed some sneaky rubbish on your PC in order to check your every move. As for your questions: you'll need someone experienced to check out your 1) Ad-Aware log and 2) your HijackThis log. For this, you had better go to the appropriate forum and start a new thread:

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showforum=36

You had also better mention in your new post in the above forum that you have opened a post over here, too, so that a Moderator can move your thread/merge your posts, otherwise you'll have double posts.

And if you have 63.9 GB of free space - that's MORE than enough space to install and run Ad-Aware 2007! I have 16 GB of free space left, and that is also still more than enough. You can read the minimum requirements here, it will tell you how much space is required:

http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_...php?t=techspecs

Edited by Moby Duck

Okay, deinstalled Ad-Aware Personal SE and installed Ad-Aware 2007. No hitches (so far), it got through the first scan nicely and calmly. It found 3 cookies (which are harmless) and 3 MRU objects - nothing else. Thanks for your help again, Suze, and if there should be any more questions, then I'll come back here.

Edited by Moby Duck

pnkfloyd, seeing that you are currently online and reading this thread: by all means get rid of that game you downloaded. If it's blacklisted, all the more reason. I'll check in the HijackThis Logs section to see how you are progressing with your problem.

Edited by Moby Duck

Hi, just dumped all Gamehouse files I could find. FYI -I have just installed the Ad Aware 2007 :) Thanks !!

Edited by pnkfloyd

Hi Moby Duck :) ! I'm delighted that you had no problems with Ad-Aware 2007!

To belatedly answer your question about deactivating my antivirus software prior to D/I Ad-Aware: no, I did not, and things went fine. Like you, I prefer to keep it active, especially when downloading . . .

I'm by no means an advanced Ad-Aware user, but am pleased that I could help -- you're quite welcome. Good luck!

I also didn't deactivate my antivirus software. I'm also not much of an Ad-Aware Techie (or any kind of Techie for that matter), but it's smooth to handle. A happy spyware-free 2008 to you as well!

Cheers,

Moby Duck

Be warned. It might just be me, but I think 2007-Free is a tad bit more glitchy than SE Personal. If problems arise, don't be surprised; if they're serious, don't be surprised either. The scans take longer since they appear to be more complete, but it's certainly not something to do if you're short on time.

Hi Moby Duck, and Happy New Year!

FYI - I just ran Ad-Aware 2007 for the second time. The scan took a little more than twice as long as it did under SE Personal (7 minutes vs. 3 minutes). However, as C_Editor pointed out, it seems the scanning is more thorough. I did my last SE Personal scan on 12/17/07, and it scanned 127,011 objects. My first 2007 Free scan was done on 12/25 and scanned 196,498 objects; today's scan did 168,307 objects. The first time I scanned with Ad-Aware 2007, it found one Possible Hijack Attempt, along with MRUs and Tracking Cookies. Today, only MRUs and Tracking Cookies were found, and I decided to change the 'Settings' option to exclude MRUs. Hope this helps . . .

What kind of glitches and problems? It definitely takes longer to scan - about ten minutes longer than usual.

If you'd take the liberty to read all the problems users are facing, I believe that might answer your question. 2007 appears to be more of a Beta product; why it's even out with all these bugs, I've no idea.

Hi Suze and Happy New Year! I ran the Ad Aware 2007 for the first time today and found just tracking cookies and MRUs as well. What is an MRU and why would you keep or ignore them? THX.

Hi pnkfloyd, and Happy New Year to you as well! 'MRU' means 'most recently used' and is a list of program and file names that you, the user, have recently accessed. I decided to ignore them during scanning because they are not the "bad guys." It's more of a personal decision whether or not you prefer to ignore them. Hope this helps.

Well, I'm hopping mad after downloading the latest reference file. The date should indicate 2nd January 2008, but it still shows the date of the previous definition file - 28th December 2007. Also, when I tried to scan my computer right after downloading the file, Ad-Aware claimed that the scanner was busy and I was forced to crash it by brutally terminating it via task manager. Then I opened the program again, and the thing was fine, scanning away merrily with its new definition file...AND STILL indicating the wrong date. Anyway, I've submitted a complaint in the bugs section.

So: after downloading the latest reference file, close the program and open it again BEFORE running a scan. I'm sure the date got botched up because of the "crash".

Edited by Moby Duck

Hi Moby Duck. I'm sorry to hear about your frustration, but glad that it seemed to work out in the end. :huh: I took a look at your post in the bugs section, and noticed the 28.12.07 date - do you think that is the last date you updated the definitions file, prior to today? Just a thought.

I noticed that it is the version number that changes: the first time I ran Ad-Aware 2007, the definition file was 0040.0000, and yesterday's definition file was 0041.0000. Maybe that is what we need to look at, and not the 'Last update:' in the red box. Good Luck!

Sign in to follow this