Sign in to follow this  
lazydazy

ad-aware 2007

i'm new to this. maybe somebody can help me out. first of all, i've been running an outdated version of ad aware. i have not been able to update since early december. so i decided to download a newer version. after downloading the newest free version i get an error message telling me aaw2007exe is not a valid Win32. so at the moment my computer is unprotected. is any body have any ideas what i can do to get the download up and running? thanks

Hi latzdazy,

i get an error message telling me aaw2007exe is not a valid Win32

You have not said what your OS is - ie: XP, Vista-32, Vista-64 etc.

Depending on your OS, please follow these steps:

For Windows 2000 or XP:

Go to "Start > Programs > Accessories" and click on Command Prompt

Type cd C:\Windows\System32 then hit Enter

Type regsvr32 vbscript.dll then hit Enter - You should get a "successful" message, as per these screenshots:

XP_Cmd_prompt_Regsvr_0.gif

XP_Cmd_prompt_Regsvr_1.gif

XP_Cmd_prompt_Regsvr_2.gif

At this time, AAW2007 is only compatible with Vista-32 (support for Vista-64 is due out shortly) - I have included instructions for Vista-64, even though this may not help at this time:

1. From the Windows Vista default Start menu, right-click Computer, and then click Properties.

2. Click Advanced system settings.

3. In the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.

4. In the Advanced window, in the Performance section, click Settings.

5. In the Performance Options window, click the Data Execution Protection tab.

6. If DEP is turned on for all programs, add Ad-Aware 2007 to the exception list (and, if you are a paying customer Ad-Watch, Host File Editor and Process Watch).

For Vista 32:

Start Menu -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Right Click on Command Prompt -> Run As Administrator.

Type cd C:\Windows\System32 then Enter

Type regsvr32 vbscript.dll then hit Enter

If you don't do Run as Administrator, the regsvr32 will fail.

For Vista64 (if you can get it to run... not officially supported yet):

Start Menu -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Right Click on Command Prompt -> Run As Administrator.

Type cd C:\Windows\SysWOW64 then Enter

Type regsvr32 vbscript.dll then hit Enter

If you don't do Run as Administrator, the regsvr32 will fail. Also, be careful to run the command in SysWOW64, not System32! System32 on a 64-bit system actually contains the 64-bit system libraries. The 32-bit versions are in SysWOW64.

(NB: Please note the spaces in each of the above entries).

Then try installing AAW 2007 again.

A lot to take in :D

Please post back with how you get on.

Regards,

Spike

Thank You for the great step by steps!

I followed them fine and got the success message, but when I clicked on my Ad-Aware 2007 file I had downloaded into my Temp File I still got the error message that the Publisher could not be verified.

Do I need to close down and reboot before it takes effect?

Sorry, to be such a rookie!

Gramma Wenni :)

i'm new to this. maybe somebody can help me out. first of all, i've been running an outdated version of ad aware. i have not been able to update since early december. so i decided to download a newer version. after downloading the newest free version i get an error message telling me aaw2007exe is not a valid Win32. so at the moment my computer is unprotected. is any body have any ideas what i can do to get the download up and running? thanks

I GOT the same message,too,when trying to download a newer version of ad aware.

I have been having trouble with ad aware SE personal which keeps saying "error in retrieving update."

I thought I'd change to another free version of ad aware 2007(?).

But couldn't download it.

I just go back and use my SE personal-even though I can't get latest update. I've had no crashes and it rids the various spyware,adware,malware and so on...

But you hear that unless your definitions are totally up-to-date hackers/spammers & other nasty folk! can beat the system?

Is this right?

I hope Lavasoft don't mind-but i always have another free spyware remover as back-up. But I find SE personal great.

davidjd

I tried these steps and got the message: cregsvr32 is not recognized as internal or external command, operable program or batch file

I still cannot install.

I tried these steps and got the message: cregsvr32 is not recognized as internal or external command, operable program or batch file

I still cannot install.

I have the exact same problem

I followed the steps for Windows XP and received the message

file name,directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect

Firstly Gramma Wenni,

As long as you download the executable (aaw2007.exe) from either the official download site here, or this alternate site here, you can trust the Publisher (ie: Lavasoft).

The massage should (from memory) read "Do you still want to proceed" - click OK and continue with the installation.

Thank You for the great step by steps!

I always try and make any instruction as as clear as possible :lol:

Should encounter any other issues, please post back.

@ davidjd

trouble with ad aware SE personal which keeps saying "error in retrieving update."

There are a whole bunch of Topics on exactly that subject , if you'd have looked around a little :D

Please see this "pinned post": ATTENTION: Ad-Aware SE Personal users, This version has expired - get the new version now which is sets out all of the reasons for the change.

As for download problems from the (default Cnet site), please try the alternate that I have provided a few lines up this post.

Let us know how you get on.

@ Granny43

got the message: cregsvr32 is not recognized

That should read regsvr32 and not cregsvr32 - notice the "c" at the front? The commands should be entered exactly as they are listed, including any spaces. Otherwise, your system will reject them as "unknown".

@ greenv

Just to be clear, as I just wrote to Granny43 above you, did you type the exact commands with the spaces in the right places where required?

Regards to all,

Spike

Spike,

I had a similar outcome to Gramma Wenni, in that I got the 'successful' message.

However, when I clicked on the installation file it still returned the "aaw2007exe is not a valid Win32" message. I run an XP machine.

Tell me it's something really simple please...?

Cheers,

Mickt

Edited by Mickt

I had the same experience. Followed instructions to run: regsvr32 vbscript.dll and obtained message that it succeeded. However, when I tried again to install the new versio aaw2007.exe, I received the same errom message that it is not a valid Win32 application. I'm using XP home.

Spike,

I had a similar outcome to Gramma Wenni, in that I got the 'successful' message.

However, when I clicked on the installation file it still returned the "aaw2007exe is not a valid Win32" message. I run an XP machine.

Tell me it's something really simple please...?

Cheers,

Mickt

Hi Mickt & Chemist,

Odd - those steps have always resolved that Windows error before. Hmmm...

I'll ask "higher up" if there is any other known fix.

Regards,

Spike

PS: Whilst we are awaiting a response, please download the previous version (v.7.0.2.5) from here and try installing that.

If it works, please click on Update to get the latest Defs (48) - then click it again for the Software Update to v.7.0.2.6

Spike,

I downloaded the previous version v.7.0.2.5 from filehippo.com. It installed right away at my first attempt.

Thanks!

Hi Mickt & Chemist,

Odd - those steps have always resolved that Windows error before. Hmmm...

I'll ask "higher up" if there is any other known fix.

Regards,

Spike

PS: Whilst we are awaiting a response, please download the previous version (v.7.0.2.5) from here and try installing that.

If it works, please click on Update to get the latest Defs (48) - then click it again for the Software Update to v.7.0.2.6

Spike,

I downloaded the previous version v.7.0.2.5 from filehippo.com. It installed right away at my first attempt.

Thanks!

Thanks Spike,

I've downloaded the version you directed me to but it resulted in the same error message recurring.

Wonder if Chemist experienced the same outcome...?

Cheers,.

Mickt

Hi Chemist,

So far, so good :unsure:

Now for the big test - updating to the new version and getting the latest Defs.

Please click on Update to get the latest Defs (48) - then click it again for the Software Update to v.7.0.2.6

@ Mickt,

As you can see, Chemist is getting there - sorry it didn't work for you.

I'm afraid that I'm out of ideas - will wait for some feedback from LS.

Regards,

Spike

Hi Chemist,

So far, so good :unsure:

Now for the big test - updating to the new version and getting the latest Defs.

@ Mickt,

As you can see, Chemist is getting there - sorry it didn't work for you.

I'm afraid that I'm out of ideas - will wait for some feedback from LS.

Regards,

Spike

Thanks for your help Spike - it really is appreciated.

I'll wait out for now.

Cheers,

Mickt

Thanks for your help Spike - it really is appreciated.

I'll wait out for now.

Cheers,

Mickt

I have tried using the instructions above on both my vista and xp and still get the same message as well. I also noticed that the download was only about 4 mb, and it was supposed to be atleast 20 mb? I have tried to stick with se instead and do a manual update which works well on my xp but it will not work on my vista. It dosn't recognize the updated def file and loads the old files all the way back from may which is strange because I have updated several times since then. I also tried to update my windows installer and reinstall adaware 2007, but again no luck :lol:

Hi dixie78,

Since your OS is XP, you should be able to upgrade to AAW 2007 Free without problems - please try downloading from this alternate site here (The latest version, 7.0.2.6, released today): http://www.filehippo.com/download_ad-aware/

Regards,

Spike

Thanks spike. I was actually having trouble downloading 7.0.2.6 so I finally downloaded the previous version 7.0.25. I was getting the same message as a lot of others trying to download the new release but the previous version downloaded fine. It just takes forever to do a scan. By now my pc is totally infested! Thanks for your help

Sign in to follow this