Sign in to follow this  
Moby Duck

Ad-Aware 2007: AutoUpdate problems!

Computer specs: Windows XP Home SP2 with latest patches and fixes, Firefox 2 and IE7.

Just what the title says - whenever Ad-Aware has finished uploading the latest reference file, it crashes, i.e., it closes. The reference file, however, is uploaded and installed successfully, and the scanner works without problems, but I am getting fed up of the program crashing and going all haywire after it has uploaded the reference file. It also displays the wrong date - 28th December 2007 instead of 7th January 2008, when it uploaded the latest reference file. At this rate, I will have to install the latest reference files manually - or boot this glitchy software from my system!

Oh, and Ad-Aware has just finished scanning my computer. I have three ignored items (MRUs) in my ignore list. Interestingly enough, the scanner reports that it ignored 2 items. I am sorry to say this, but this updated version is giving me a headache.

Edited by Moby Duck

Computer specs: Windows XP Home SP2 with latest patches and fixes, Firefox 2 and IE7.

I thought that AutoUpdate was supposed to be enabled for ALL versions, including the free one, which I have? Well, it is not! I tried to delete the file settings.aaw, and then when I opened Ad-Aware, AutoUpdate had a tick. Then I wanted to save my settings - it went back to the cross. And if I clicked no (whether I wanted to save my settings), the green tick would stay, but then I would all the time get the message whether I wanted to save my settings or not.

Also, the "last update" date is wrong. I downloaded the latest definition file, and the date still displays 27.12.2007! Apart from that, Ad-Aware 2007 crashes after it has uploaded and installed the latest definiton file - a window pops up saying that an error had been accounted.

Can anyone kindly tell me how to solve these bugs?

Hi Moby Duck,

I have merged your two Topics as they each cover some of the same ground.

Various users have been reporting this "crash" after updating for a while - the Devs are aware of it and are working on fixes.

Since not all errors are the same, it would be useful if you could follow the instructions posted earlier by LS Tobias and post the crash dump called aawservice.exe.mdmp that is referred to in the error message and post it here that would be helpful to the Devs.

In the Windows error message, follow the 'click here' link to get more information.

Another message dialog will open, with two more links in it. One of them should be about getting even more information - click that on and yet another dialog will open.

Without closing this error dialog message, navigate to the folder indicated in the message and retrieve the crash dump (the one with the .mdmp extension) and save it to a location that you can find again.

Then navigate to that location and post the aawservice.exe.mdmp file here (you may have to zip it first).

I am now subscribed to this Topic, so if you should post the file (or any reply), I will receive an email and can then point the Devs to it.

As to the "wrong" Defs date is another know issue that will be addressed in a future software update (my AAW2007 Plus Defs still read as 22/10/2007). As long as the actual Def file number is correct and there is a green tick beside "Authenticity verified", you are up-to-date.

I thought that AutoUpdate was supposed to be enabled for ALL versions, including the free one, which I have?

No, the AutoUpdate feature is only available in the licensed Plus or Pro versions - Free users simply need to click on the "Update" button after opening AAW 2007.

Regards,

Spike

Hi Spike! Too late - I closed the error window instead of following it up further after the program crashed. I see two possibilities to re-create the crash scenario: wait until next week for the next defintion file, have Ad-Aware download it and crash merrily (or not so merrily). Or: manually install an older definition file (0042.0000 or whatever it's called), and then let it download this week's current def file via autoupdate (which is not that automatic after all for free users...).

So: where do I get the old def file? Or will I have to wait for the next defintion file and, ah, look forward to next week's crash?

Hi Moby Duck,

Let's keep this as simple as possible :unsure:

Wait for the next Defs Update - if the crash happens again, please follow my previous request...

Thanks for your cooperation,

Regards,

Spike

Downloaded the latest definition file today. Same thing happened. Ad-Aware protested and crashed. I also tried to upload the dump into this post, as you said I should, but apparently it is forbidden to upload a dump file. Looks like I'm just going to have to upload the definition files manually. The definitions file date is still wrong. Thank goodness the file uploads and installs at all!

I am not at all pleased with this unreliable and glitchy software. It's better off as a beta version.

Edited by Moby Duck

Hi Moby,

If you check my post about posting the dump, it says:

Then navigate to that location and post the aawservice.exe.mdmp file here (you may have to zip it first).

Perhaps I should have highlighted that in my post above... :rolleyes:

If you still have the aawservice.exe.mdmp file saved, please try zipping it (no password) and then it should load as an attachment.

The more of these dumps that the Devs get, the easier it may be to pinpoint particular problems or conflicts - which of course is of benefit to all users, free or licensed :)

Regards,

Spike

Looks like we're both going to have to wait until next week and the next crash. Is it okay to use ZipCentral program to zip the program? I don't have the regular/normal Zip program since it's only shareware.

Hi Moby,

I'm not familiar with ZipCentral (I use licensed Winzip) but I would assume that it would be compatible.

The Devs should be able to access it anyway.

Regards,

Spike

I'll check back here next week, when Ad-Aware crashes after downloading and installing what will probably be definition file 0045.0000. Unless 0043.0000 can still be downloaded? Then I could install it manually and make Ad-Aware download 0044.0000 again to re-create the problem instead of waiting until next week. Is that possible?

About ZipCentral: small and neat tool especially for beginners. Version 4.01 is compatible with XP (don't know about the other versions). The following is an extract from its readme file:

ZipCentral Version 4.01

for Windows 95/98/ME/NT4/2000/XP

Copyright © Johan Savås 1998-2002 - All rights reserved

DESCRIPTION

----------------------------------------------------------------

32-bit, free, robust and easy to use zip file manager with a lot

of features. Let's you create new, open existing, extract from

and add to zipfiles. Supports creation of self-extracting

archives, drag and drop, disk spanning, quick view, shell

execution, long filenames, multiple compression levels, archive

comments, repairing damaged archives, context menu operations

from Windows Explorer and more. User interface similar to other

popular shareware archive managers. Let's you get to work in no

time.

INSTALLATION

Launch ZCSETUP.EXE and follow the instructions.

For instructions on automating an installation, please see the

help file.

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

VGA (Desktop/Display):

640x480 @ 256 colors or higher

RAM (Memory):

16 MB or higher on Windows 95/98/ME

32 MB or higher on Windows NT 4.0.

64 MB or higher on Windows 2000/XP.

CPU (Processor):

Same (or higher) as required by the operating system in use.

OS (Operating System):

Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP/NT 4.0.

For Windows 95 and NT 4.0, you need version 4.70 or higher of the file COMCTL32.DLL

Edited by Moby Duck

The manual Defs link has been updated to 44 - lets wait and see what happens next time.

When I saw that there was a new definition file today - 0047.0000 - I did not bother to update it automatically. I downloaded and installed it manually. It is a nuisance, but I'm tired of the crashes. Ad-Aware still displays the wrong date, by the way. I hope that the minidump I posted above is analysed.

I'll point it out to the Devs, make sure that they know its there.

Thanks for the time and effort,

Spike

Thanks - I'd also be glad to know what the Devs manage to glean from the minidump. In the meantime, I am downloading all the def files manually.

Sign in to follow this