Sign in to follow this  
tohbh88

Unable to perform Webupdate

I'm unable to perform webupdate. 'error retrieving update' was displayed after 5%. Read thru the FAQ section on this have tried all the suggested steps (included turning off firewall' to no avail.

I'm unable to perform webupdate. 'error retrieving update' was displayed after 5%. Read thru the FAQ section on this have tried all the suggested steps (included turning off firewall' to no avail.

Hi, I am havng the EXACT same problem. It's been 30 days so far. Ifou find any solution. I would greatly appreciate a heads up! Thanks

Hi tohbh88 & Dr. Chuck Billera,

If you have been using AAW SE Personal, Official Lavasoft support for Ad-Aware SE Personal v1.06 ended on 31st December 2007. Lavasoft's new product, Ad-Aware 2007, has a Free version which is available from here or here.

The product specifications (including which OS are supported) are here: Tech Specs

As this is not a Windows Update problem, I will move the Topic to the AAW SE section.

If either of you is running AAW 2007 Free, please post back and I will take it from there.

Regards,

Spike

here[/url] or here.

The product specifications (including which OS are supported) are here: Tech Specs

As this is not a Windows Update problem, I will move the Topic to the AAW SE section.

If either of you is running AAW 2007 Free, please post back and I will take it from there.

Regards,

Spike

I have download AAW 2007 about an hour ago and I can not perform webupdates either

Regards

Maximillion

I have download AAW 2007 about an hour ago and I can not perform webupdates either

Regards

Maximillion

I was having the same problem with Ad-Aware SE Personal. I decided to install 2007.

When I could not perform webupdate, I uninstalled 2007 and reinstalled SE.

After reading several messages, I understand that SE is no longer being supported and understand

why I could no longer get updates for that. But why are we having problem with 2007?

Has anyone sent you word on how to solve the problem?

TIA,

RitaEK

Hi Maximillion & RitaEK,

Firstly, to make sure that you have installed the latest version of AAW 2007 Free, please click on the "Information" symbol (next to the Help ? symbol in the top-right corner). It should say "Version 7.0.2.6.

Then, could you both please be more specific than:

"I have download AAW 2007 ... and I can not perform web updates either"

After opening AAW 2007 and clicking on the "Update" button, what exactly happens?

Do you get an error message? Does the application crash?

Please post back with details so that I can help you get it sorted out.

Regards,

Spike

I was also unable to download new updates yesterday and today (1/30/08). :D

Hi spike,

I too have just downloaded Ad-aware 2007 Free. Upon trying to install the message appeared, "c:\path\aaw2007.exe is not a valid Win32 application"

This may be a common problem for others...

Look forward to your response.

Cheers,

Mickt

Edited by Mickt

Hi Mickt,

First of all, make sure that you have uninstalled AAW SE Personal.

Next, please follow the steps in my post here: ad-aware 2007, download problems

Choose the instructions for your OS - remember to type in exactly as quoted, including any spaces. There are screen shots for Windows 2000 or XP.

Once you have completed this, try installing AAW 2007 Free again.

Regards,

Spike

Spike,

I uninstalled SE again and installed the latest version of AAW 2007. I did get error message. The following is quick summary of what happens. It's like going around in circle and getting nowhere.

Problem with downloading of def. files continues after installing latest free version.

Install went ok.

Update download appears to be happening. Even get Update complete notification.

But after clicking OK, message appears indicating that an error occurred and suggestion to do web update.

Doing update again results in message that def. files are not current.

Attempt to go through process again gets same result. Or lack of result.

It appears that there is problem with the software.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Rita

I just registered and logged onto this site (20:30 PT, 31 Jan, 08) as I was 30+ days past due updates as well. I followed all the previous posted advice issued by Spike (and others) and things seem to be working fine. I'm running the free version on MS Windows XP 2002, Home, SP-2. I hope this helps...cheers, Scott.

Hi Scott,

Glad to hear it :huh:

Should you encounter any future problems, please start a new Topic and we'll take it from there.

@ Rita

I have heard that an "update glitch" has recently appeared and is affecting some users - (being worked on now by the Devs). Please try these steps (for XP - I think they work for Win2000 also):

Click "Start > Run" and type or copy/paste the following into the text box:

"%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\"

and then press "Enter".

This should open the Ad-Aware 2007 folder. Locate the file settings.aaw (nb: ignore the one called settings.aw), right click on the file and select "Delete".

Next open AAW 2007, select "Settings > Browsers" and then click on "Read Settings" and then "Save". This will create a new clean "settings.aaw" file and should allow Ad-Aware 2007 to work properly.

Unfortunately the new settings file will have the default settings, so you will have to go through the various settings tabs re-creating your preferences before clicking "Save" again - (don't forget TrackSweep, which is under the "Tool & Plug-ins" tab on the main menu (on the Status screen).

Then close/re-open AAW2007 and try updating again - the current Defs are 0048.

Regards,

Spike

seek and ye shall find!

myself and others were having trouble downloading the updates for 1.06. it kept giving us error messages after 5% of the process. we all thought it was just a glitch with the web server and that it would be taken care of in a few days. when it wasn't i decided that i would contact the company about this and upon further mining i found this forum. it has cleared up all the questions i pretty much had. i do have one...couldn't the software had given us a prompt or something concerning the expiration?

thanks everyone!

whalerider

Hi whalerider,

To keep up-to-date with events and new products at Lavasoft, you can subscribe to Lavasoft News, as well as to the New Defs announcements and the Software Updates notifications.

You can find subscription instructions (with screen shots) in my post here.

Regards,

Spike

Hi Mickt,

First of all, make sure that you have uninstalled AAW SE Personal.

Next, please follow the steps in my post here: ad-aware 2007, download problems

Choose the instructions for your OS - remember to type in exactly as quoted, including any spaces. There are screen shots for Windows 2000 or XP.

Once you have completed this, try installing AAW 2007 Free again.

Regards,

Spike

Hi Spike,

Uninstalled AAW SE Personal

Followed the screen shots for XP as per your post - and succeeded.

Clicked on aaw2007 to install but error message was returned "aaw2007.exe is not a valid Win32 application"

Look forward to your response (thanks so far, by the way)

Cheers!

Mickt

I have been having similar issues with the latest version of Adaware 2007 (free) I installed the program on 3 of the 4 computers on my home network, and then went to run the web update feature from within the program. For each computer, I received the error message "SSL download failed" after readin g the FAQ for this problem, it was determined that software based, and hardware based firewalls (eg Norton firewall, or a router's firewall) are the cause of this problem and should be disabled before running web update.

For this reason I am extremely insecure about using adaware 2007! This is a MAJOR security risk! Firewalls are there to keep computers, and networks safe from hackers, so i ask this question... What if I disable the router's firewall, and my software firewalls to run web update, and someone hacks into my network? I'm sorry, but this issue needs to be fixed ASAP!! With a program that is meant to increase, and safegaurd the computer's security from spyware, adware, and other malicious software, how can you possibly require that the computer be put at open risk to online threats suck as hackers? I'm sorry, but this is not acceptable. Please fix this, or you may end up losing a large number of customers.

Please note: I am a computer technician, and feel that this information should be made known to the public. Security issues, and threats are one of the main things I work to correct in my business.

Sign in to follow this