Sign in to follow this  
deanej

Ad-Aware deletes my auto-logins!

Hi,

Seems to be so far yes. :)

I know I had those whitelists in place when using the adaware se free version so the problem may simply be how the new service based version deals with any problems it encounters with permissions etc.

I was planning on waiting a week to make certain the problem is no longer affecting me then re-enabling the whitelists in zonealarm to see if that brings the problem back. But if anyone fancies testing that themselves I'd be gratefull.

If that doesn't fix it on its own then it may simply be that when adaware runs into the problems it corrupts the index dat.

Or, of course, the program may be totally innocent of all wrong doing and I already had a corrupted index dat under the se version and just didn't know it or see any ill effects. :D

Just to note I had not actually ran any scans using the third party apps that had the whitelists. Would it be possible to add a cookie handling section to ad-aware to create its own whitelist which could list all cookies not just trackers? It would be a handy feature for those of us who like to clean things till they squeak every now and again.

Interestingly I have also stopped having the "cannot delete......." messages - although they were always sporadic.

It would be nice to know which step had actually helped or if both were needed.

dr del

Edited by dr del

All of this is OK, but in my particular case, I do not have any other program on my computer that I know of ... and I am not a real techie so I may very well be wrong here ... that should be creating this issue. I have the Windows XP firewall, nothing else, and I have my Security tab in IE Options in IE6 set to Medium. I am using NOD32 antivirus. That's it. I was using all these programs before, and not one setting has changed on my computer. My computer is exactly as it was before, when I was using Ad-Aware SE and that program was working fine, except now that I've downloaded Ad-Aware 2007, when I run it it deletes all my auto-logins.

I hate to sound snippy, but some of us folks out here don't have the knowledge, or the time, or the inclination to try to troubleshoot these issues ourselves. We download a program that's supposed to do a job, we expect it to do the job. Ad-Aware SE was doing the job for me. Ad-Aware 2007 is not. And being that the only variable that has changed on my computer is Ad-Aware 2007 as opposed to Ad-Aware SE, circumstantial evidence leads me to believe that the problem is the software, not my computer. If I need to change some settings to make this work, then please tell me which settings I need to change. If I need to go ahead and upgrade to IE7, then I'll upgrade to IE7. If I need to switch to Vista, I'm not inclined to do that at the moment. Was this program designed for computers that had all the latest bells and whistles from Microsoft? Because some of us out here are not inclined to upgrade until all the kinks and bugs are worked out of things.

Bottom line, I'm about ready to say forget it and delete the program from my computer because as much as I've liked using Ad-Aware and it has done the job wonderfully for me over the years, the pain in the *** of it deleting autologins at 20 to 30 sites (on some of them I had to go through the trouble of retrieving the passwords because they had slipped my mind) every time I run the software makes it useless to me. I am currently using AVG on a trial basis and it's working fine ... and not deleting auto-logins ... to the point where unless something here changes ASAP, I'm going to buy it after the trial period.

Well, am to glad to hear you got it resolved anyway. I'll ask our Development team to take a look at this thread in case they can test it out and perhaps if they can reproduce the problem, make adjustments. The hard part is always finding out what is "breaking" our application. But perhaps you have stumbled across it :D

I'm not a developer so I can't say really. But thanks for posting all this info - it might help :)

If I need to go ahead and upgrade to IE7, then I'll upgrade to IE7.

I'm with you PRW. Please read my post above.

BTW: I'm using IE7 and still have this issue. I also have XP

I sure hope they fix the app. This has been going on too long.

Good Luck

I too am having the same problems described in this topic. Also, all my stored addresses in Mapquest are removed each time I run Ad Aware 2007 Free. I have tried everything including reinstalling. Please note that I have not made any changes or updates to my (XP)system, IE etc. The only change I have made is upgrading to Ad Ware 2007 free from the SE version (which I used with great success and ease for years). I only lose my saved log-ins when I run this program. I can no longer use this new version as I need to refer to the saved addresses in Mapquest on a regular basis. I am disappointed that there does not seem to be any fix for this problem. Wish I still had the SE version.

Hi

I am having the same sort of problem too. Adaware doesn't find tracking cookies very often, but lately when it does find and removes them, I too have been losing my auto logins. I am using IE 7 with XP Pro and security set to medium with 3rd party cookies blocked. On the last 2 occasions when the program did find a cookie, there was only 1 cookie found. I deleted that cookie and there went my auto logins including the one for my ISP to log into their web based email. I thought maybe it was the mediaplex cookie deletion that had done this, but the next time it happened, it was a different cookie that was found which I deleted. I can't recall now which cookie it was. I use Zone Alarm Pro, but I have the cookie control part turned off and the same thing with my other programs. I like to use these scanning programs as needed and not continuously running in the background. It's happened now with the program finding 2 different cookies, but 1 cookie at each scan on different days.

Hello,

i have the same problem and it is AD-Aware the problem

i save my password in explorer (Favourite networks) to go in ftp upon my different sites (and that's no cookies !!!)

and always i run ad-aware i leave my password

it is a long time people take over that problem !!!!

i make the test

i go in explorer (Favourite networks)

i set my password and say remember

i go out explorer

i go in explorer

i open the ftp adress and this ok

i run ad-aware

i go in explorer

i open the ftp adress and the password is lost

Hi,

Well last night the "unable to delete cookies" problem came back. :wub:

Does any dev have tips on finding out if its related to a corrupted index.dat? I will happily share any files etc if it helps.

dr del

Well I see this problem still hasn't been fixed. I ran Ad-Aware this afternoon and, sure enough, it deleted all my auto logins. So it's good bye Ad-Aware 2007 until such time as this has been addressed. Such a shame - SE was a great program.

I came back to Adaware after having used Spybot S&D for a while. Adware nailed a critical problem, but as with everyone else, it deleted ALL my signin cookies. Time to stop pointing fingers at every other program and face the fact Adaware has a bug in it that deletes innocent signin cookies. I had Adaware SE in the past and never had these problems. I was also, like many others, ready to pay for a better version of Adaware. But after reading this thread and seeing the lack of responsiveness from Adaware people, no way I'll spend the money. Time to start looking for an alternative program. ;)

Adaware version is 2007 Free, Windows XP, Norton Anti-Virus.

Dep

Edited by Deputy

Does anyone know if Lavasoft is aware of this problem? If so, why in the world havent't they done anything about it? It's not like this is a minor bug.

TIA

Does anyone know if Lavasoft is aware of this problem? If so, why in the world havent't they done anything about it? It's not like this is a minor bug.

TIA

Does anyone know if anyone from Lavasoft even looks at this forum!? From the general lack of response, my guess is "no".

Does anyone know if anyone from Lavasoft even looks at this forum!? From the general lack of response, my guess is "no".

Well I gave up on Adaware and found a BETTER program with a lot of support. It's called Spyware Terminator. It's available here:

http://www.spywareterminator.com/

It is FREE and includes a realtime spyware blocker. I ran the scanner and it actually found some nasty trojans that Adaware had missed in it's scan. If Lavasoft ever gets it's act together, I MIGHT go back to it. But I doubt it. Adaware seems to have become "vaporware" as far as getting any support.

Dep

Hi,

Well in all fairness tracking (or other) cookies are fairly low on the list of things to worry about (to the company not myself ) - though , since I am a paranoid computer user, it is the only thing I actually have to worry about I'm worried we over-react and throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Trojans however are another matter and I would not expect ad-aware to miss them - have you confirmed their legitimscy with another anti-spyware or anti-virus utility?

Avg has just combined its anti-spyware with the anti-virus software without giving a seperate scan option which is seriously limiting as I actualy liked both but not the combination.

In an ideal world I would like someone from lavasoft to acknowledge or refute the problems we seem to be experiencing and at least think about trying to find a solution.

I feel we have provided enough users who have this problem to make it a legitimate bug report even if they cannot reproduce it on their machines. Once more I will make the offer to run any software they wish on my system to try and find a solution. I'm sorry calamity jane but I have looked in this forum and the general forum and if you think we are an isollated problem you are deluding yourself and every paying cusomer who seeks a solution.

The latest release works less effectively than the one it replaces on at least one level for several users.

Again I offer my computer as a test subject for whatever you wish me to try to resolve this. Repetition? yes it is - but I thought I'd be fair before calling you dismissive of problems and recomending no-one on earth give you money for an apparently borked program you seem unwilling to fix.

Saying you cannot replicate it while ignoring those willing to help solve it is frankly an ostritch maneuver and will only serve to spread bad reviwes of your product.

A happy user might tell 10 people - someone who feels his computer has been compromised will tell everyone he knows.

It has been a long while and I have jumped through a lot of hoops - I am trying to help but you have , on my system, broken a good program and I am running out of reasons not to shout the fact loud an proud.

dr del

Edited by dr del

Hello dr del,

Thanks for posting. No one here is dismissing the problem you and some of the others are having. It is simply that we cannot reproduce the problem and it isn't happening for everyone so we cannot pinpoint why it is happening on some machines and not others.

Tech support comes free with the paid verisons and I checked with them (Tech Support Team and they work with millions of users one on one so have seen most reported problems come through there). The only problems being reported in our Support Dept that are similar are due to having Tracksweep enabled and deleting everything. You have stated that is not the case with yours.

I'll ask the Support Team and the Development team to take a look here once more and see if they can determine what might diagnose the core problem causing this to happen.

The only thing I can think of at the moment is to possibly ask you to try the new beta of Ad-Aware 2008 (new version, new build) and see if the problem also continues with that one. It is due for final release in Mid May so is fairly complete. You can get it here:

http://www.lavasoft.com/support/securityce...pplications.php

And there is a separate forum for the Beta Ad-aware 2008 here:

http://beta.lavasoftsupport.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

(Its a separate registration process from this forum, but the username dr del is probably available)

It seems to be having less issues that the Ad-Aware 2007 and I would be curious as to if this problem you have is also present in the beta 2008.

Hello,

i see you are all taking about cookies but i think my problem is not there

for me , i toke over password from my ftp in windows explorer and i think it is not saved in cookies !!!

but, so i say before, i do test and i am sure the problem is ad-aware

Edited by jeanbal

Hello,

i try to subscribe to the beta testers but i cannot

i have a "existing" mail [email protected], then two (2) "-" between name and firstname and the program say i must introduce a valid mail "but it is a valid mail !!!!!"

Good grief!!! You haven't fixed Adaware 2007 and you want us to install a BETA of Adaware 2008?!?!?!?!?! I don't see that as any kind of solution. I am NOT going to be a beta tester for another program that is untested and an unknown quantity. FIX Adaware 2007 BEFORE steering us to a newer version. Besides, why would you already need Adaware 2008 if the 2007 version is working so well??? We've told you EXACTLY what our problem is . We aren't all making this problem up. We all LIKE the Adaware program. And we AREN'T going to buy any upgrades until the free version is fixed.

dr del: I confess I was pretty shocked to find that Adaware had missed a trojan on my comp after it being picked up by Spyware Terminator. The trojan that was picked up by Spyware Terminator is called VirusHeat. Also picked up were KnowItNow and Wild Tangent Installer, but those were just fragments. These were all detected and removed by Spyware Terminator AFTER I had used the most updated Adaware scan.

Dep

Edited by Deputy

Hello??? Anyone from Lavasoft got any input? Or has Adaware 2007 turned into Abandonware 2007? Are you people working on a fix or still in finger-pointing mode? :)

So are you guys saying that both the free version as well as the paid version are deleting the logins?

Heck I'm need them to fix the free one first before I would even consider spening any money.

Very dissapointing.

So are you guys saying that both the free version as well as the paid version are deleting the logins?

Heck I'm need them to fix the free one first before I would even consider spening any money.

Very dissapointing.

No idea about the paid version. Not worth the risk to me and many others to pay for what may be a buggy version.

Hi

This is unbelievable. I'm about to go and get my money back AGAIN!! Bought the full version last year on the back of SE, found out it was broken badly got a refund! I just bought the full version AGAIN!! dont ask me why, its just as bad. Keeps deleting logins and just cant figure how to stop it!

Very poor!

Stephen

I wonder if the techs at Lavasoft really understand how big an issue this is and how significant it is to the people who are complaining. I mean, deleting logins pales in importance to spyware, adware, malware and trojans attacking your computer ... but I just counted and I have 18 sites that I have set up with automatic logins. Eighteen. That is a massive pain in the rear to re-do when they all get deleted ... and on a couple of them, I had to either reset or retrieve passwords and user names because they had been set up so long that I had forgotten how to get back into them when I was logged out. It's not a threat to my computer, but it's a royal pain in the rear to the point where, as I said in an earlier post, if I can find something that's 95 percent as effective as AdAware in rooting out the important stuff, but it doesn't delete my logins, I'll risk the five percent less protection. It's that significant a deal to me, even though it's not a threat to my computer.

I am wanting to upgrade from free to full-ride spyware protection, I've recently completed a trial run of AVG's full-ride protection, I now have just the free version enabled. It's only because I've been such a loyal user of AdAware that I'm waiting to see if they can get their act together on this issue before moving forward, but I'm not willing to wait forever.

My last response was to dr del and directly addressed to him not anyone else.

Yes we are aware of it and there have been numerous other threads and responses that most of you just now coming in haven't read (or even looked for). I'm going to just leave this thread open and if any new ones start up I'm going to merge them into this thread and encourage everyone to please go back to the page 1 start of this topic and follow those steps first.

The following is for everyone else. We are not able to reproduce this error and therefore, cannot "fix" it if we can't find out what it is causing it. It is not happening on all computers but yes, it is apparently happening on some and we don't know why. However, the Beta 2008 does not seem to have the same problem is why I was suggesting (to dr del because he asked for any suggestion/experimental) to try that and see if it is resolved in that version. When the Final 2008 version is released mid-May, we will be phasing out the 2007 version.

If you are one of the ones experiencing this problem, please go back to the beginning of the thread here (page 1) and follow the suggestions for fixing your Tracksweep and replacing settings file also. That may resolve the problem as that is the only thing that we have found that could be causing it possibly due to a corrupted setting file or not knowing how to use Tracksweep. I suspect it may also be due a 3rd party software similar to the "immunize" feature of Spybot and/or SpywareBlaster (?) being implemented by users who are also using other scanners or security programs, although I cannot reproduce the problem at all with any settings or even with the "immunize" in those. This is not a "pointing fingers" at the other products, it is simply trying to find what is causing this behavior in Ad-Aware and if it is found, we can fix the problem once we know what causes it. Right now we do not know.

If you have gone through the steps in the beginning of this thread and you still get the error, it would help to know the following if you would like us to continue to try to find out why it is happening on some machines but not others.

1. Operating system and service pack #

2. Browser and version

3. Other security programs that are running concurrently

4. Other security settings you are using in your browser (blocking popups? Blocking cookies? etc).

5. Please state if you did already

a. Make sure that all settings for Tracksweep are turned OFF

b. Delete the settings.aaw file and close the program. Then reopen it and choose all settings again since they will have to be reset. (The 2008 version has a button that will do that for you and may be why it appears to be fixed in that version)

IF we can reproduce the problem, we can then determine a fix. This problem is not specific to the paid or free versions as we see this being reported in both.

Sign in to follow this