Sign in to follow this  
deanej

Ad-Aware deletes my auto-logins!

The following is for everyone else. We are not able to reproduce this error and therefore, cannot "fix" it if we can't find out what it is causing it. It is not happening on all computers but yes, it is apparently happening on some and we don't know why. However, the Beta 2008 does not seem to have the same problem is why I was suggesting (to dr del because he asked for any suggestion/experimental) to try that and see if it is resolved in that version. When the Final 2008 version is released mid-May, we will be phasing out the 2007 version.

If you cannot reproduce the problem then I think you need to change your test system(s), because it's obviously not up to the task. Also, how in the world would you know whether the Beta 2008 has or hasn't the same problem if you can't reproduce the "problem" on your system(s) in the first place??

If you cannot reproduce the problem then I think you need to change your test system(s), because it's obviously not up to the task. Also, how in the world would you know whether the Beta 2008 has or hasn't the same problem if you can't reproduce the "problem" on your system(s) in the first place??

Excellent points. I am also NOT going to jump through hoops and go through all kinds of system adjustments to get this program running....which was a point made by many others on the first couple of pages. When you folks design this stuff you have to understand we are NOT all computer experts. We are lucky to be able to give you the bare minimum of information about our system. What I can't understand is most all of us were happy with the way Adaware SE was working. WHO decided in their infinite wisdom that it should be tossed in favor of a new version that was obviously untested? I DON'T have Spybot and/or SpywareBlaster on my computer. I took off Spybot because it wasn't catching all the tracking cookies. If you folks can't reproduce a problem that is happening with MANY of our computers, common sense should tell you the problem is with YOU and your program and not US!!

It looks like Lavasoft has just "given up" on our problem and gone into full denial. With that attitude, I will NOT be using or buying any version of Adaware. Congratulations... in a time when the economy is in trouble and consumers are trying to spend wisely, you have just destroyed any chance of me buying a pay verion or using a free version of your software.

Hello,

1. Operating system and service pack # XP SP1

2. Browser and version IE7 7.0.5730.13

3. Other security programs that are running concurrently Avast-S&D-CCleaner

4. Other security settings you are using in your browser (blocking popups? Blocking cookies? etc).

all settings upon default microsoft

5. Please state if you did already

a. Make sure that all settings for Tracksweep are turned OFF YES

b. Delete the settings.aaw file and close the program. Then reopen it and choose all settings again since they will have to be reset. YES

i run not S&D nor Ccleaner before to do the test

i set my ftp password in windows explorer (thus so i say it is not a problem of cookies !!!)

i go on my ftp without problem my password is ok

i run ad-aware

i try to go to my ftp and the password is blank

CQFD (in french)

I repeat :

i try to subscribe to the beta testers but i cannot

i have a "existing" mail [email protected], then two (2) "-" between name and firstname and the program say i must introduce a valid mail "but it is a valid mail !!!!!"

change your tests because i can not test your 2008 version

@jeanbal

Do you have a different email address you can use to register? I'll report that problem, but I don't know how long or even IF it can be adjusted to accept your failing email address.

And, thanks for the great info in your report of the problem. Could you find and attach your Ad-Aware scan log where the problem occured?

Ad-Aware logs are saved in this directory (it is a hidden file so you need to be sure you have the PC configured to show hidden files, instructions on that below)

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\logs

The scan log will be named by date and time of scan similar to this: Ad-Aware 20080430 20-30-09.log <- - - note the .log file extention.

Note: The "Application Date" folder is a hidden directory. In order to see it, follow these steps to configure your PC to show hidden files:

How to Show Hidden Files

Windows XP

Click Start.

Open My Computer.

Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.

Select the View Tab.

Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Show hidden files and folders.

Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.

Click Yes to confirm.

Click OK.

XP SP1? I wonder if that is a factor? Why do you not have SP2 as SP1 is no longer supported by Microsoft. We're soon going to have SP3 in fact.

@jeanbal

Also, I know you did not run Spybot before or after, but the real question is: Do you have the "immunize" feature enabled in Spybot. That is what I suspect might be affecting some users. If you ever had enabled it, even if you have since removed the program, those settings would still be in place if you did not undo "immunize" before uninstalling.

I removed Spybot with the uninstall feature. All Spybot folders were deleted. I used Eusing Registry Cleaner and removed all traces of Spybot from the registry. I have Explorer set to show hidden files. NOWHERE do I see any traces of Spybot. So WHERE or HOW would we be able to find out if "immunize" still exists? :unsure:

Besides which, password cookies that were installed AFTER Spyboy was deleted wouldn't have been immunized anyway, if they ever were when Spybot did it's immunization. And they keep getting deleted. Just doesn't make any sense.

The immunize function in Spyware isn't going to be part of the uninstall Spybot program (as for uninstalling those settings set by immunize, uninstall doesn't remove them). What is does is numerous changes to the system. I'll post a screenshot in a minute to show you. Those would not show up in a registry cleaner or in the Spybot uninstall.

I believe that when you uninstall Spybot it pops up a windows that advises you to "undo any immunize settings" because the uninstaller doesn't affect those settings (or remove them).

If you have uninstalled Spybot and did not "undo immunize settings", the best thing to do is probably reinstall it. Add the immunize, then close the program and go back in to *Immunize* and then choose the "undo" feature.

It affects so many different areas (you'll see in my screenie, I'll post next) I don't know how to tell you to "see" the leftover settings if not undone and the program uninstalled. One thing I did notice was that it sets a large number of entries in the HOSTS file (over 8,000 entries). That large HOSTS file can affect many things, including a slowdown on security scans because it takes so long to review all those entries. There are other areas of course too, including the index.dat file and cookies etc.

Please keep in mind, that this is only something we are looking at as a possible "problem". It was the way Spybot immunizes cookies in Opera much earlier in the year that was found to be causing a bug in Ad-Aware's removal of Opera cookies. Once we found it (reproduced it), we were able to "fix" our program to get around it. But that took several months as I recall. That is why the "debugging" process is so hard when it comes to other 3rd party software changes. Is being able to reproduce the problem so we can identify what causes it and how to fix it or workaround it. A LOT of users use a combination of Ad-Aware, Spybot and SpywareBlaster (which also has an "immunize" cookies feature) so if that turns out to be the cause it would explain why it is happening on a fairly good number of PCs but not on all.

Many other 3rd party products do similar things for "protection" that can affect the way our program functions. So this is not a "finger pointing" thing, it is just very hard to find when it is a problem.

Here is a brief description of some of the Spybot Immunize function and what it does (from the Spybot help manual). Because it changes to areas that other security scanners also monitor, it can cause unintended conflicts as we saw with the link I posted earlier when a Spybot update affected SpywareBlaster users.

About the Immunize feature in Spybot

Immunize Search & Destroy

Beginning from version 1.2, Spybot-S&D allows you to immunize your computer against some spyware. It currently offers three different immunities:

Permanent Internet Explorer immunity

The permanent immunity works on some Internet Explorer control options that are partly visible in the Internet Explorer interface, partly hidden in the registry only. It adds domains known to contain bad contents into the Restricted Zone, thus blocking installation of executable code from those pages; it also adds block options for bad executable code by its ID, and it sets known tracking cookies not to be accepted by Internet Explorer.

To cut it short: it modifies Internet Explorer, through official ways, to block a lot of the bad stuff known to Spybot-S&D.

Permanently running bad download blocker for Internet Explorer

This is a second layer of protection for IE. While the Permanent Immunity blocks installers by their ActiveX ID, this one blocks anything that should come through by different aspects.

You can view a log of blocked installers in the Tools / Resident section.

Permanent Opera immunity

This list shows all Opera profiles, and how many of the plugins that Spybot-S&D knows as bad are already blocked in each profile. To set the complete protection, just tick the checkbox in front of the profile you want to protect. To remove the protection, untick the checkbox.

Not many browser plugins are currently working for Opera, but the attempt to install some may crash Opera, and ActiveX support for Opera is available in third-party beta software, so use this function as a precaution against future misuse of Opera through spyware.

This feature will (certainly) only be displayed if you have Opera installed on your system!

Why can I no longer access my IE settings? FAQ #024

Internet Explorer tells you to contact your administrator when you try to access the IE settings?

This can happen if you use Spybot-S&D in advanced mode and you have used the Immunize feature without reading all the text.

Please start Spybot-S&D again in advanced mode (usually from the Start menu group Spybot - Search & Destroy, until you have already changed the desktop icon to advanced mode).

Select Tools in the left bar, then IE tweaks.

There you will see a group Recommended miscellaneous locks. Untick the checkboxes in front of both Lock IE... options.

You may need to close all Explorer windows, and maybe even restart Windows before these changes take place.

Hint: this lock function has been added mostly for multi-user environments where you would not want other users of your computer to change your IE settings. If you are the only user of your computer, there is no real need to enable them.

What is the immunization feature and what are the other permanent protection options? FAQ #050

Beginning with version 1.2, Spybot-S&D has been allowing you to immunize your computer against some spyware. This has been extended in every further release, and tweaks browser settings to use their methods of blocking cookies, malware installations, bad websites and more.

Screenshots as promised. You can see the many areas the "immunize" makes tweaks in. So does the *IE tweaks* and other areas of Spybot.

For instance, if you "lock the HOSTS file" in IE tweaks, and let's say you have some malware entries in there that you didn't know about. If you locked it then another scanner finding those entries would not be able to remove them. That is why we are looking at whether or not you use other security programs so we can find it if is one of these settings or tweaks made that is cause the malfunction of our program. Right now we don't know what is causing it.

You can see that I was playing around with *immunize* in Spybot with Firefox cookies. I am now getting some errors removing firefox cookies in Ad-Aware, so it could be affecting our program. I have someone on Dev. team looking into it to see if they can reproduce it - and thereby devise a "fix" (or workaround). It's a different problem that I'm talking about here than the one reported in this thread, but is just an example of how one goes about finding the cause of a malfunction.

You'll need to click on each image to expand it to be fully viewable.

post-65-1209657575.gif

post-65-1209657591.gif

post-65-1209657605.gif

Emphasize, this is not a "pointing fingers" at Spybot issue. We know (and even advise) our users that we also recommended using multiple products so we try to make it (Ad-Aware) compatible with most other known security softwares. I have been a volunteer security advisor on the internet for a long, long time now before I joined Lavasoft, so am pretty familiar with most of the more commonly used Security apps available - Spybot & SpywareBlaster being two of them. But I also know that many users who do use them don't quite understand a programs features and what it does, so if you did use the Immunize and then uninstall the program without removing those settings, you might see some weirdness in either your permissions to run things in your browser or when using alternative security products. There have been times, for instance, I have locked myself out of my HOSTS file and completely forgotten I had used some product to "lock the HOSTS" file.

Okay...I am downloading Spybot and installing again and then installing and removing immunizaations. I'm not one to argue just for the sake of arguing :unsure:

Hope you are right!!!!!

Dep

Edited by Deputy

It's a good idea to do that if you don't recall whether or not you had used immunize :)

I usually keep Spybot installed here so it's easy just to go in an look to see if I had tweaked something and undo it. If you are going to uninstall it, then yes, you should remove all IE tweaks and immunize and anything else you might have set in there (using Advanced mode has all those tweaks and immunize, etc.) because the uninstall does NOT remove those settings.

And I'm not saying that will correct the problem being reported in this thread because as of now, we haven't been able to pinpoint the common denominator causing it to happen!

FYI - and yes, we are still looking to reproduce the bug so we can find it and fix it. This particular one of having all logins and passwords wiped out by Ad-Aware has been me driving nuts for some time now because I cannot make it happen (nor can our development team and they have lots of machines to test on, whereas I only have 2 right now). We do see reports like this thread of it happening so we know it exists.

Hello,

I will not cry too early victory but I think i have found ...

XP SP2 indeed sorry

last vervion ad-aware 7.0.2.7 ver 73

undo S & D but not uninstalled

password OK

Ad-aware scan

password always OK

restart PC

password always OK

Ad-aware scan

password always OK!

Immunization S & D

password always OK!

weird !!!

i take ccleaner v2.07.575

cleaner - analyse - run cleaner

and it seems that the problem is CCLEANER !!!!!!!!

because password no more OK

sorry ad-aware

can you confirm that with your tests ?

@jeanbal

Hello,

I will not cry too early victory but I think i have found ...

XP SP2 indeed sorry

last vervion ad-aware 7.0.2.7 ver 73

undo S & D but not uninstalled

password OK

Ad-aware scan

password always OK

restart PC

password always OK

Ad-aware scan

password always OK!

Immunization S & D

password always OK!

weird !!!

i take ccleaner v2.07.575

cleaner - analyse - run cleaner

and it seems that the problem is CCLEANER !!!!!!!!

because password no more OK

sorry ad-aware

can you confirm that with your tests ?

jeanbal,

Yes, CCleaner could probably do that. If you leave everything checked on by default and do not understand what all it is deleting that could be the problem in your case. I found it way too aggressive and advise only advanced users to be using that tool. See here:

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=900

Is anyone else using a registry cleaner that is having these problems?

P.S. jeanbal, I'm glad you have SP2 :)

@TuboTiger

I use neither Spybot nor CCleaner yet the free version deletes my passwords/logins. :)

We will keep looking. Our program should not be deleting your passwords/logins.

I use neither Spybot nor CCleaner yet the free version deletes my passwords/logins. :D

Hello

"stupid questions"

do you no use internet options

suppress

all suppress (and so paswword also)

Hi,

Got some bad news for you Calamity Jane. :)

The 2008 beta just did it to me as well for the second time - I was not sure if I should post this info on the beta forum or not?

It's 1 am or so but I will try and read the rules on posting over there tomorrow - just figured you might be intrested in knowing as well.

dr del

Hi,

Got some bad news for you Calamity Jane. :huh:

The 2008 beta just did it to me as well for the second time - I was not sure if I should post this info on the beta forum or not?

It's 1 am or so but I will try and read the rules on posting over there tomorrow - just figured you might be intrested in knowing as well.

dr del

Hi dr del,

Yes, please do post over in the Beta Forums. It might be easier to follow and get a developer to take a look over there.

Well I'm back after having to do a full reinstall after my comp got infected with that Virtumonde infection or however it is spelled. So this is going to be a REAL clean install of Ad-aware 2007. Only thing I have is Norton Internet Security. Wish me luck!! :huh:

Dep

Sign in to follow this