Sign in to follow this  
bobcurnell

Error retreiving update

If you want to update Ad-Aware SE Personal, go to http://www.lavasoft.com/support/securitycenter/blog/?cat=2

From the link on the far right hand side of the page, download the latest defs file (it's a zip file), currently SE1R217 04.02.2008, and save it to your Desktop (or wherever you normally save downloaded files to). Then go to Start>Run and type in C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Personal. Unzip the new defs file into this folder and it should overwrite your previous defs file. This folder will then include both defs.ref.old and defs.ref - the new defs.

Then open Ad-Aware and it should show that the new defs file has been loaded.

Edited by Madeline9

If you want to update Ad-Aware SE Personal, go to http://www.lavasoft.com/support/securitycenter/blog/?cat=2

From the link on the far right hand side of the page, download the latest defs file (it's a zip file), currently SE1R217 04.02.2008, and save it to your Desktop (or wherever you normally save downloaded files to). Then go to Start>Run and type in C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Personal. Unzip the new defs file into this folder and it should overwrite your previous defs file. This folder will then include both defs.ref.old and defs.ref - the new defs.

Then open Ad-Aware and it should show that the new defs file has been loaded.

I tried this with my xp and my vista computer and everything works fine with my xp. It shows the current definition files being loaded. At first it worked on my vista, then all of a sudden my vista is loading def files from last may. I checked the folder and the current definition files are still there. i even reinstalled adaware and the newest definition files but it is still loading the def files from may. I unzipped the file the same way that I did on my xp computer. Anyone know why it is not working in vista? Thanks in advance.

I tried this with my xp and my vista computer and everything works fine with my xp. It shows the current definition files being loaded. At first it worked on my vista, then all of a sudden my vista is loading def files from last may. I checked the folder and the current definition files are still there. i even reinstalled adaware and the newest definition files but it is still loading the def files from may. I unzipped the file the same way that I did on my xp computer. Anyone know why it is not working in vista? Thanks in advance.

I don't know why it doesn't work on Vista, but a lot of things don't apparently! It's bizarre that it goes back to May 2007 rather than even the last update before AAW SE was officially dumped in December 2007. There's a new defs file out now - SE1R218 11.02.2008 - but I don't know if that'll work on Vista either. Have you got a defs.file.old in Vista? If so, it might be worth creating a new restore point, then deleting the old file and see what happens then. If it all goes horribly wrong, at least you'll have a point to restore to. Be careful about this and bear in mind that I know nothing about Vista!

I don't know why it doesn't work on Vista, but a lot of things don't apparently! It's bizarre that it goes back to May 2007 rather than even the last update before AAW SE was officially dumped in December 2007. There's a new defs file out now - SE1R218 11.02.2008 - but I don't know if that'll work on Vista either. Have you got a defs.file.old in Vista? If so, it might be worth creating a new restore point, then deleting the old file and see what happens then. If it all goes horribly wrong, at least you'll have a point to restore to. Be careful about this and bear in mind that I know nothing about Vista!

I was having trouble downloading 2007 so that is why I was going to keep se. I downloaded the new update and it work flawlessly on the xp but vista still didn't recognize it. Anyways I decided to dowload the older version of 2007 and had no problems with the download on the vista, so far anyways. It does run very slow so I am going to keep manually updating se on my xp for awhile until I see how this is going to work. Boy this can be a headache! Thanks for your help.

Update Error AdAware SE.

I have the same problems for months on a XP and W98 machine.

I cant update to Aware 2007 on the W98 pc, the olders version of AdAware was faster too, i like it and would like to continue to use it.

Thank you.

I was having trouble downloading 2007 so that is why I was going to keep se. I downloaded the new update and it work flawlessly on the xp but vista still didn't recognize it. Anyways I decided to dowload the older version of 2007 and had no problems with the download on the vista, so far anyways. It does run very slow so I am going to keep manually updating se on my xp for awhile until I see how this is going to work. Boy this can be a headache! Thanks for your help.

@ dixie78,

If you decide that you would like to go back to AAW SE on your Vista computer, you could try running it in XP Compatibility mode and see if that works for you. To do this, you'd have to uninstall AAW 2007 and reinstall AAW SE. Then right click on the AAW icon, click 'Properties', then the 'Compatibility' tab and set it up to 'Run this program in compatibility mode for' and select 'Windows XP' from the drop-down menu there. I'm assuming that this is the same or similar to what you would do in XP. However, if AAW 2007 is running and working well for you, I'd leave things as they are.

Update Error AdAware SE.

I have the same problems for months on a XP and W98 machine.

I cant update to Aware 2007 on the W98 pc, the olders version of AdAware was faster too, i like it and would like to continue to use it.

Thank you.

@Mr.Ad,

I hope this thread gives you enough information on how to update Ad-Aware SE on an XP machine, but 98 doesn't seem to be quite so easy. Maybe this thread will be useful for you.

The latest defs file is SE1R219 12.02.2008.

Hello Madeline,

This means Lavasoft doesnt support updates the "normal"way for AAW SE?

I wish I knew this before, spend some time uninstalling and cleaning the registry with no effect.....

My pc at home still runs on Windows 98, so I cant update to the 2007 version of AAW on that one.

Its a shame that Antivir and Lavasoft ditch Windows 98, its enough for a bit of surfing.

Thanks for the link and your help!

Edited by Mr.Ad

@ dixie78,

If you decide that you would like to go back to AAW SE on your Vista computer, you could try running it in XP Compatibility mode and see if that works for you. To do this, you'd have to uninstall AAW 2007 and reinstall AAW SE. Then right click on the AAW icon, click 'Properties', then the 'Compatibility' tab and set it up to 'Run this program in compatibility mode for' and select 'Windows XP' from the drop-down menu there. I'm assuming that this is the same or similar to what you would do in XP. However, if AAW 2007 is running and working well for you, I'd leave things as they are.

Ive been using se on vista for awhile with no trouble but I tried to run in xp compatibility to see if it had anything to do with the updates but it dosn't. I compared my xp settings to the adaware setting in vista and they seem the same. Other then the def files showing 100 days old se works great on visa.

Here is the strange part. Like i said I can replace the old def file with the new ones but adaware just isn't reading them. I rechecked the adaware folder to make sure that it still showed the new def files and it did last night,(2-11-08) however when I checked it this morning the files in the adaware folder showed may 2007. That seems odd sense I replaced them. Another odd thing is that when i first reinstalled adaware the def files where dated back in 2005, but after installing the def from 2-11-08 it reads it as may 2007. I used the same exact def files on the xp and it reads 2-11-08 so I am sure it it the right def. I know I'm probably confusing everyone. I have already confused myself!

Another thing. Before I uninstalled 2007 due to probmems i was having i couldn't do a manual update on it either (on vista). I finally figured out how by reading another post that spike had made about web updates. It didn't solve my web update problem but I figured this out: (this is on vista with the 2007 version of adaware)

Instead of copying the def file by going to c:programfiles/lavasoft/adaware2007 I did this instead:

clicked on run and typed in explorer"%programData%/lavasoft/ad-aware2007/" and pasted the def file here and it worked with 2007. The manual update would only worked if i pasted the def file this way. It seems like there should be a similar command I could use with the se version. Hope I didn't confuse you. Thanks for your help.

Hi dixie78,

When you try to run AAW 2007 in Vista, do you have DEP set to exclude Ad-Aware2007.exe and LSUpdateManager.exe?

Regards,

Spike

(PS: When you type in explorer"%programData%/lavasoft/ad-aware2007/", check and see the actual location (ie: the file path). That would save you the bother of typing the command into "Run".

In XP, the default location for defs files is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007 - not sure of the exact path in Vista but I would presume that it would be similar.

Hi dixie78,

When you try to run AAW 2007 in Vista, do you have DEP set to exclude Ad-Aware2007.exe and LSUpdateManager.exe?

Regards,

Spike

(PS: When you type in explorer"%programData%/lavasoft/ad-aware2007/", check and see the actual location (ie: the file path). That would save you the bother of typing the command into "Run".

In XP, the default location for defs files is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007 - not sure of the exact path in Vista but I would presume that it would be similar.

Thank you for all your help. I have went back to se for now anyways and I didn't think about checking the dep settings. I will remember this for when I decide to use 2007 again. Believe it or not I found a very simple solution to The manual updates in Se and vista. After all that trouble all I had to do was right click and run as administrater and then it recognizes the new def. if I just open to run it then it does not. I don't know why but it dosn't really matter. Atleast now I can do an up to date scan. As for the def files for se, do you know how long the def files will be available? I'd really rather continue using se as long as possible until the bugs are gone from 2007. It seemed to take forever to scan. Thanks again.

I am having the same problem and certainly will appreciate it when someone comes up with an answer.

Linda

Hello hello, Whoever You Are,

Well folks, since there are SO MANY of us in the SAME BOAT, harkening back to my halcyon youth, MAYBE the solution is for us ALL to CHIP In for a (ahem!) REAL AsAware "membership," so they'll listen to us, then we can disseminate the solution.

I, for one, would rather be a big ###### on a log than a little doody on a stick. Either way, it stinks, but if I gotta make a stink, I might as well be PROUD!

Whadaya say?

david

The title of this thread reads 'Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Personal has expired', but there appears to be a way to still update the defs to 2/4/08. With that being said, and because of the issues users are having with updating SE, will Lavasoft stop updating the defs for SE in the near future, or will the 'manual' updating method for SE become the only way of updating it?

I'm having the same problems with getting the updated version of the free Ad-Aware program that I've used successfully for years. First, after downloading the new version and putting it on my desktop, when I try to run it, I get an error message that "this is not a win32 application". I've also tried downloading the new defs file, but it's in a Zip format? and although I have Windows XP, nothing I've tried will unzip the defs or add them to the program.

I have tried EVERY link in this thread to try to fix the problem, but it still will not work no matter what I do.

ANY HELP OUT THERE? I'M NOT TERRIBLY COMPUTER SAVVY, BUT I'VE NEVER RUN ACROSS SUCH A MESS/PROBLEM LIKE THIS.

My old Ad-Aware SE program is still working, but without any of the updates (and there doesn't seem to be any way to get any of the new Ad Aware programs working- download the new version, download the new defs file, try un-zipping them) AND STILL NOTHING!! My "old" version does say there is a new update available, but although it also says I haven't downloaded updates for 50 days, I can't find a way to get the new program with the new updates/definitions.

If I can't get this working correctly, I'm going to have to boycot Lavasoft and use a different spyware program I guess which is really too bad since it's worked so well before all this new JUNK.

ANY HELP OUT THERE OR DO I HAVE TO FIND A NEW SPYWARE PROGRAM???

Thanks for any help!

Hi Madeline,

I just did what you suggested with regards to updating the definition files for Ad-Aware SE using copy and paste into the "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Personal". My def files is now updated to 13.02.2008 version. When I opened Ad-Aware SE and check the definition file, it has been uploaded and updated. Thank you very much for your advise.

After I manually updated, just out of curiosity, I clicked the "Check for updates now" button and it runs and then... it gives the "error retrieving update" message at 5% progression scroll bar.

Now my question, do you know if this means that every time we want to update the definition file of Ad-Aware SE, we have to do it manually like this?

I am hesitant to replace my Ad-Aware SE with Ad-Aware 2007, as I have read not so good reviews about it, e.g., being finicky, slower than Ad-Aware SE, and not so good at catching spywares, malaware, etc.

Your insights are appreciated.

Thanks,

Lemuru - Vancouver

Hi Madeline,

I just did what you suggested with regards to updating the definition files for Ad-Aware SE using copy and paste into the "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Personal". My def files is now updated to 13.02.2008 version. When I opened Ad-Aware SE and check the definition file, it has been uploaded and updated. Thank you very much for your advise.

After I manually updated, just out of curiosity, I clicked the "Check for updates now" button and it runs and then... it gives the "error retrieving update" message at 5% progression scroll bar.

Now my question, do you know if this means that every time we want to update the definition file of Ad-Aware SE, we have to do it manually like this?

I am hesitant to replace my Ad-Aware SE with Ad-Aware 2007, as I have read not so good reviews about it, e.g., being finicky, slower than Ad-Aware SE, and not so good at catching spywares, malaware, etc.

Your insights are appreciated.

Thanks,

Lemuru - Vancouver

Hi Lemuru,

You're welcome, I'm glad what I said worked for you. Unfortunately, Ad-Aware SE users do now have to get the updates the way I described as the updater in the program will no longer work. This is because the program has expired and there is no longer any official support for it.

I tried Ad-Aware 2007, but I had a lot of trouble with it, so I reverted to SE and will stay with it as long as I can get updates. After that, I'll try 2007 again but it'll go if it doesn't work properly for me.

Incidentally, there's a new defs file available from http://www.lavasoft.com/support/securitycenter/blog/?cat=2 and it's SE1R221 issued on 18.02.2008.

My regards,

Madeline

Edited by Madeline9

I may be a bit slow on the uptake, but does this mean that Lava have now discontinued the free version of AD-Aware for the forseeable future???!!!! :angry:

I may be a bit slow on the uptake, but does this mean that Lava have now discontinued the free version of AD-Aware for the forseeable future???!!!! :angry:

The answer to your question is yes and no! Ad-Aware SE has officially expired, although you can still get updates for it at the moment - see my post above. I doubt if these updates will go on indefinitely though. If you upgrade to Ad-Aware 2007, that has a free version too, so it might be worth a try. I don't know which OS you're using, but if you have System Restore, create a restore point before uninstalling Ad-Aware SE and installing Ad-Aware 2007 just in case you experience any problems.

Sign in to follow this