Sign in to follow this  
rlc1@juno.com

Locks up during folders scan

Not happy with new version. Starts running and never gets done. Looks like it hangs when on folders. Just got latest update and still fails. It also seems to take forever just to get the update. I am on XP, latest updates, modem connection is all I have available.

HELP

Bob Cook

Hi Bob Cook :rolleyes:

plz try this settings >>

post-28338-1201677539.jpg

Of course you have to enable file skip :)

Cheers

Raziel :rolleyes:

HI Raziel,

I don't know who you are but that did not fix it. I changed what you said, started it up and it ran all night and was hung on folders conditional again.

WILL SOMEONE FROM LAVASOFT PLEASE FIX THIS. I AM ABOUT TO UNINSTALL IT AND FIND SOMETHING DIFFERENT. I wish I had a phone number of someone to call also.

Bob Cook

I seems like I am having the same problem with Ad-ware 2007. I will try what Raziel suggested, By the way Soul Rever for the Dream cast is one of my favorite games.

I seems like I am having the same problem with Ad-ware 2007. I will try what Raziel suggested, By the way Soul Rever for the Dream cast is one of my favorite games.

No that didn't work Raziel. Anybody got another thing to try.

I have had the same problem with Ad-Aware locking up on "Scanning folders (Conditional)". I noticed that on my machine, this has only happened when attempting a scan immediately after downloading a new definitions file. I also noticed that when the hangup occurred, the definitions file number was listed as 0000.0000 on the scan screen, as shown in the attached image. Apparently the new definitions file is not being immediately recognized.

The solution for me is to close and restart Ad-Aware after downloading a new definitions file. The scan proceeds normally after the restart. Annoying, but it solved the problem for me.

For what it is worth,

Jack Stephens

post-48214-1201881768.jpg

Edited by jackstep

Nope, changing that did not help. After reading many problems in this forum I feel no one at Lavasoft really cares if it works or not. Why is that?? If you can't make the free version work why in the world would I ever purchase a product from you. PLEASE LAVASOFT, help me here.

Bob Cook

To Jackstep: I too have the same problem of locking but mine happens each time on my Windows XP. I tried the solution of file skip, but that did not work. The suggestion of stopping the scan worked until this evening. My pointer became an hour glass and I could not stop the scan.

Any other suggestions?

Eleanor

Edited by LS CalamityJane
Removed unnecessary quote from previous poster

My version locks up if I try to use it for a full system scan. If I leave it on smart scan it runs ok, but full system scan and it simply eats up processor power and sits there doing nothing.

P.S. I don't like this new version. The older version was easier to work with, less bells and whistles.

Nothing works for me. The settings Raziel suggested don't help. Restarting it as Jack Stephens suggested doesn't solve the problem.

It doesn't matter if I use the full scan or smart scan. The only difference is that I waste more time with the full scan.

I have to use the task manager to stop it and close the program.

I agree with Bob Cook. Why even consider buying a product when the free version doesn't work at all. Ad-Aware 2007 is useless. It's a definite DEprovement from Ad-Aware SE.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

John

Edited by jez4158

I myself have the same problem of it locking up at the " Scanning Folders (Conditional) " section. There is no info showing in " Current Path or Current object " sections. Pressing the " Stop Scan " button does nothing.. The Scan Time section continues to tick after pressing " Stop Scan ". Only way to close the program is by opening task manager and ending the task.

The program has the latest definitions file updates installed.

I have two PC's both of which have XP as an OS.

On my main PC. it works fine but freezes up on secondary PC.

Main PC System Info: 2.0 Ghz Processor, 768 mb ram

Other PC System Info: 797 Mhz Processor, 128 mb ram

adaware2007ja9.th.jpg

Edited by Leafsfan64

I also have had the same problem but have found a a way to get this not to happen and have been able to get the program to complete it's scan. This worked for me and maybe it will work for everyone else who is having the problem of Ad-Aware 2007 locking up. This is the long way around and hopefully the people at Lavasoft will come up with a fix to this issue soon but for now this is what I did: First I ran disk clean-up then defrag once complete I restarted my computer and before doing anything else I ran the Adaware 2007. I worked and removed 69 items. However what I found was that when I tried to run it again after that it locked up again and I had to do the same thing all over again to get it to work.

This version is a piece of crap. I spent two months ever getting it to complete its first scan. A few days ago I updated the definition file and also got some program update. Now when I try to start it I get a 1814 error. This is just a complete mess, and I can no longer spend my time screwing with it. I have deleted it, and will no longer purchase anything from this place.

so long, and good riddance.

Bob

Reopened the original topic which was inactive and merged your latest post in this one, Bob.

I can certainly understand your frustration if you can't get it work. Did you contact the Support Department about this so they can help you with troubleshooting?

If you still are unhappy you should request a refund

Here is the Support Center log in page to file a Tech support or refund request:

http://www.lavasoft.com/support/supportcenter/

Feel free to point them to your topic here so they can see the problems you are having and the remedies already tried.

Reopened the original topic which was inactive and merged your latest post in this one, Bob.

I can certainly understand your frustration if you can't get it work. Did you contact the Support Department about this so they can help you with troubleshooting?

If you still are unhappy you should request a refund

Here is the Support Center log in page to file a Tech support or refund request:

http://www.lavasoft.com/support/supportcenter/

Feel free to point them to your topic here so they can see the problems you are having and the remedies already tried.

Hi biscuthead

If you want to post a reply use this button ;)

post-65-1206153363.gif

You have to scroll down a wee bit to see it ... It says Add Reply not "reply

I HAVE managed AT LAST.!! I have had the same problem with a scan hanging on conditional folders...

Browsing through the suggestions posted here, I followed THIS pathway to SUCCESS...

1. Carried out Windows M/soft Update...(high priority update "Word Viewer 2003 (SP3)"...downloaded/installed.

2. Ran disc clean-up, followed by defragment.

3. Re-started PC.

4. Opened Ad-Aware 2007.7.0.2.6 (free) and clicked on 'settings', then went to 'scanning' and reduced files to 30,000

5. Ran full scan and found 49 infections...held breath...and it finished the full scan and I then deleted all the infections...

6. PROBLEM SOLVED !!

I hope this will be of help to someone and my gratefull thanks to all the previous posters for their valuable input, which helped and guided me to solving this challenge...

Aha! Hopefully I can help, I've been having this same problem (well, before I had to uninstall and am now unable to install it again, but that's another story). The OP mentioned being on dial-up, and I am as well, through AOL. If you also happen to be through AOL, I have a fix (though you'll have to keep on top of it):

AOL puts files on your computer. They come in a few variations, but all of them have the phrase ' aspup ' in them. They claim they are anti-spyware software, but they are indeed spyware themselves (and grow to be quite large, they eat hard drive space). If you type aspup into a files/folder search and delete them, it will stop hanging up for a time. However, the problem is these files keep coming back, even if you get rid of their absolutely useless security center.

It worked for me for awhile, hopefully it will for you. These files will not only halt Ad Aware, they'll stop and hang up many anti-virus and anti-spyware applications. They even halt the version of McAfee you get through them. :/

Sign in to follow this