Sign in to follow this  
English Teacher

AAW 2007 never finishes scan

Hi, Today I tried to update my old Ad-aware then because I couldn't, so I came here to this forum.....I found out that the old SE isn't supported anymore :-(

So I downloaded the AWW 2007.....but

I Uninstalled the SE version, re-booted, ran a cleaner to remove bits left over, re-booted, installed...Everything OK

Ran a quick scan....OK

Ran a Full scan but it hangs at " Scanning folders (Conditional) "...it ran for over two hours until I stopped it!!! :-O

I've done some online scans with Pandasoft, Bitdefender and Kaspersky but apart from a few cookies nothing....I even ran Hijackthis but that also revealed nothing....so that's the "virus blocking it" theory out of the way!!

Any ideas?

Running Windows XP Sp2, Pent 4 , 512 RAM, 80 GB Hard drive (yes I know not much ;-) )

Security programs:

Firewall: Zone Alarm Pro

Anti Virus: AVG FREE

Anti Spy: Spybot S&D, AVG, Spyware Blaster,

Edited by English Teacher

Hi English Teacher,

Try this - open AAW 2007 and select "Settings" from the left hand menu and under the "Scanning" tab, make sure that the "Skip files larger than" option is selected (green tick), changing the size down to, say, 30000.

Sometimes AAW 2007 can get hung-up on large, compressed or corrupted files.

Then do both a Smart and a Full scan - post back with how you get on.

Regards,

Spike

Hi English Teacher,

Try this - open AAW 2007 and select "Settings" from the left hand menu and under the "Scanning" tab, make sure that the "Skip files larger than" option is selected (green tick), changing the size down to, say, 30000.

Sometimes AAW 2007 can get hung-up on large, compressed or corrupted files.

Then do both a Smart and a Full scan - post back with how you get on.

Regards,

Spike

I tried doing this also, ie from 100000 down to 30000, and it still hangs up on the "conditional files" As a side note, I have only had the problems since Adaware 2007... :unsure: ...but SE worked fine :angry:

I used to run SE without problems

With 2007 I had several problems including the 1920 error which I fixed with help from this site.

Now it's downloaded, installed and updated to latest Defs.

Now it's never completed a scan; it gets to about 165 errors in about 8 mins, then the scan clock carries on but in fact there is another box which appears with a long error message including the words ...experienced unhandled exception.... forced to close... please submit this error to Lavasoft. I've submitted it several times now without the slightest hint of a response from them - and from reading comments on this site my experience is not unusual.

If it's relevant, this time it stopped at ...\java\....caracas which I'm fairly sure is an airport within Google Earth's Flight Simulator.

I've tried the option of skipping large files - no effect - am sure it's not this

If Lavasoft want to beta test a product - that's fine using volunteers - but don't discontinue the previous product until the volunteers have played with the beta and sorted the main problems - don't force all users to do the beta testing!

This is my first submission - Hope I've got it into the right place!

Hi DrJohn72,

Now it's downloaded, installed and updated to latest Defs

A good starting point - however, being unable to complete a scan rather defeats the purpose :unsure:

it gets to about 165 errors in about 8 mins, then the scan clock carries on

Try manually stopping the scan before it gets to that point and dealing with whatever objects are found - unless you are hyper-sensitive about privacy, I would suggest de-selecting the option to scan for MRUs. For the time being, these (harmless) objects simply clog up your results.

I had several problems including the 1920 error which I fixed with help from this site

Would you mind detailing what you did to overcome the 1920 error - I have a Win2000 user who so far can't get past it. Nothing that I have suggested has worked... also, what is your OS?

this time it stopped at ...\java\....caracas

Do you only have the latest version of java installed (v 6, update 3), or are there older versions also? For security reasons, any older versions should always be uninstalled when an update is released.

experienced unhandled exception ... I've submitted it several times now without the slightest hint of a response

All bug reports do get through to the Devs - and they do monitor the forum, although they usually don't have time to post individual replies.

don't force all users to do the beta testing!

I was in on the original beta-testing 14 months ago - by and large, present issues are mainly caused by individual configurations. If you are seeing a number of "problem" posts, please remember that around a million copies of AAW 2007 Free are downloaded from Cnet alone each week.

Not denying that users have genuine issues - simply saying that we volunteers are doing what we can to get all AAW 2007 Free users up and running.

Regards,

Spike

Steve - my response interleaved with your comments:

Hi DrJohn72,

A good starting point - however, being unable to complete a scan rather defeats the purpose wink.gif

Try manually stopping the scan before it gets to that point and dealing with whatever objects are found

RESPONSE Tried this - deleted 1 critical and quarantined the rest. But on repeating the scan, hit the same error message

- unless you are hyper-sensitive about privacy, I would suggest de-selecting the option to scan for MRUs. For the time being, these (harmless) objects simply clog up your results.
RESPONSE Tried this- thanks - but how can Joe Public know that you have to do this? [what are MRUs?] No effect anyway

Would you mind detailing what you did to overcome the 1920 error - I have a Win2000 user who so far can't get past it. Nothing that I have suggested has worked...
I started with a Google search on +Ad-Aware +2007 +error +1920 which is how I found this Forum. RESPONSE There was a post topic 12499 23 Oct 2007 by Centurian Warrior and several people seemed to have tried that and it worked; so did I. The fact that that's been round for over 3 months and you still have to stumble across it, rather than having it somehow incorporated into the released, package, illustrates my point about responsiveness I think

also, what is your OS?
RESPONSE XP Home

Do you only have the latest version of java installed (v 6, update 3), or are there older versions also? For security reasons, any older versions should always be uninstalled when an update is released.
RESPONSE I found 2 earlier versions of 6 and 3 versions of v5. Deleted all except the latest 6.3. Again - how could Joe Public know this unless someone like you points it out? you assume that an update gets rid of the earlier stuff!

All bug reports do get through to the Devs - and they do monitor the forum, although they usually don't have time to post individual replies.
RESPONSE Accepted - I didn't mean I expected an individual reply - but in trawling through the problems there are an awful lot of people who have been asking for help, and on the paid-for product as well!

I was in on the original beta-testing 14 months ago - by and large, present issues are mainly caused by individual configurations. If you are seeing a number of "problem" posts, please remember that around a million copies of AAW 2007 Free are downloaded from Cnet alone each week.

In no way do I mean to talk down the efforts of people like you - on the contrary, I greatly value them - but again, looking at the patterns of problems it is hard to believe that they are all down to individual configuration. SE seemed to work with all of our individual configurations!

Not denying that users have genuine issues - simply saying that we volunteers are doing what we can to get all AAW 2007 Free users up and running.
RESPONSE And that really is valued - and I do count this as a valuable individual response. ANY FURTHER INSIGHTS WILL BE SIMILARLY VALUED AND CONSCIENTIOUSLY FOLLOWED THROUGH. Sorry forgot caps lock

Regards

DrJohn72

Edited by spike-nz
"Quote" tags added for clarity - for the benefit of other readers

At last - reasoned debate (verses emotional reaction) - FYI: Its Spike, not Steve (unimportant detail).

what are MRUs?

Most recently used applications - similar to the list of recent documents in MS Word. As the only user of this PC, I know which applications I have used - in the (rare) event that a guest uses a Limited Account, I couldn't care less which applications they might have used... :o

No effect anyway

Can add a large number of "Privacy Objects" to a scan result.

Would you mind detailing what you did to overcome the 1920 error

My other user worked his way through the list of start-up services and has managed to resolve the error by himself - good result.

Java: This is something that should be posted on the Java update web page - I only know about it from following the malware experts in the HijackThis section of the forum. Leaving an older version of Java on your system leaves the consequent vulnerabilities also. I try and let users know this where I can.

there are an awful lot of people who have been asking for help, and on the paid-for product as well

In the purchase email sequence, there are clear directions to licensed users that they have access to paid, one-on-one assistance through the Support Center. Maybe I'm overly "retentive" but I print out and keep all pages of each purchase - gives me some filing to do at the very least...

SE seemed to work with all of our individual configurations!

AAW SE was a completely different beast, based on technology circa 2002 - ran as a program and not as a service and was therefore much less complex. Malware today (and in the future) requires staying one step ahead. The malware experts know only too well how how some modern malware manages to bypass/disable SE technology - hence the "back-to-the-drawing-board" approach to AAW 2007.

RESPONSE And that really is valued - and I do count this as a valuable individual response

If I were trained in malware removal, that is the field in which I would operate - being but an "ordinary" PC user, I respond to others in need of assistance. Most of the time, I can resolve issues - in some cases I have to admit defeat (much as I hate to admit it).

I could take most commonly used apps and join their forums - Ad-Aware was the first program which really caught my attention particularly with their commitment to always providing a Free version, so perhaps I am a little biased in choosing to give AAW 2007 Free users the benefit of my time/experience.

Regards,

Spike

Spike - thanks - no idea where Steve came from. The question about overcoming the 1920 error was yours, not mine - I detailed what I did.

I think I'll just leave it a while, download new defs etc and hope that things get fixed. The Java issue obviously needs sorting, but may also be a clue to AAW 2007 since that's always where it hangs, in my system anyway.

You're doing a good job.

thanks again

Dr John 72

i had the same problem ,it is due to setting your software to automaticaly update definitions before scanning i disabled this and the bug disapeared and the software scanned as normal

OK sorry for the wait, I had a lot of work to do and didn't have time to run the scans.

OK It seems that my thread has been Hijacked, should I run Hijackthis? OK Joke finished

The problem doesn't always happen.....for example

I Skiped files larger than 30000 and ran a smart scan but it blocked at " Scanning folders (Conditional) "

but the strange thing is it has never blocked in smart scan when I DO NOT skip files larger than xxxxkb

As for the full scan, sometimes it blocks and another it completes the scan.

I don't know if there is another program with nothing to do with Anti spy or anti virus that is interfering with it?

Thanks Spike

I have exactly the same problem. I switched my execution to BACKGROUND mode because even with a laptop with 2Ghz dual core and 1GB memory it consumes too many system resources to run in foreground (you would have thought they would have checked for this before releasing the product). Now in background it has been running for 25hrs and its frozen to such an extent that I can't even hit the "Stop Scan" button with any effect.

Looks like a poor job was done during BETA testing of the software for such essentially simple issues to have been overlooked.

Hi English Teacher,

It seems that my thread has been Hijacked, should I run Hijackthis? OK Joke finished

Sorry, happens all the time (I'd spend my life splitting topics if we tried to give everyone their own thread ;) ) - back to helping you now.

Smart Scans ofter work with the original "skip files" setting - it is the Full Scans that generally cause the "hanging" problem.

Would you please try a Full scan with the "Skip files.." setting reduced to 30,000 or even down to 5000 and post back with your results?

Thanks,

Spike

Ok....I have run the "Full Scan" now three times and everything seems OK

When do you think I can stop skipping large files? I will slowly increase from 30,000 KB until I reach where it hangs

Just one other thing

I have noticed one strange thing though...while the scan is running I notice that it has scanned nearly 310,000 files (I reapeat this is while it is still scanning) but in the log (after the scan has finished) it says scanned 286,000 a difference of about 24,000 files.

Should this be like this?

Have a nice weekend Spike

When do you think I can stop skipping large files?

You can leave it at 30,000 or increase to 50,000.

I notice that it has scanned nearly 310,000 files ... but in the log ...it says scanned 286,000 a difference of about 24,000 files. Should this be like this?

Not something that I have personally noticed - I tend to concentrate on what (if anything) the scan finds. I think that you may safely ignore that.

Regards,

Spike

You can leave it at 30,000 or increase to 50,000.

Not something that I have personally noticed - I tend to concentrate on what (if anything) the scan finds. I think that you may safely ignore that.

Regards,

Spike

Sorry for not answering before now......I just have one question about this.

If I have to skip files larger than XXXXXX kb doesn't this defeat the idea of an anti-spyware program? I mean if there is a baddie in a big file, I can't scan other wise AWW 2007 stalls!!! What then? Is Lavasoft, do you know, trying to fix this problem? As I have seen this problem dating back a few months

Regards

English Teacher

PS NO, I'm not trying to knock AWW2007 but I think that they should have tried it out more before giving up support on SE version first!!

Edited by English Teacher

Hello again English Teacher,

Think about your every-day surfing habits and the type of files that you encounter. Apart from downloading Installation Files for new programs (which should always be researched first and only downloaded from reputable sites), how big is the average file that you encounter.

Look at the size of your emails and their attachments; if you belong to a social-networking site (MySpace, Facebook et al), do you really trust a downloadable file from a complete stranger? Same with P2P file-sharing - I personally would never open my PC up to anyone/everyone just for the sake of a movie/music file - just too many baddies out there. Remember, this is just my personal opinion - that said, I see too many users go to the malware experts to clean their systems after a bad day out...

Most of your larger or compressed files are leftovers from installations - forum admins have suggested lowering the "skip file" size to 5000 - leaving a level of 30000 isn't that dangerous.

Also, a layered approach to security is always recommended. I use AAW 2007 Plus (& Pro), NOD32 Anti-virus, ZoneAlarm Free firewall, Spybot S&D, Spyware Doctor (regd), SpywareBlaster and Panda ActiveScan Pro - always remembering to de-activate other realtime modules before scanning with another such program. I undertake multiple scans weekly - time consuming but worth the peace of mind.

So far, despite some much earlier (immature) flirting with crack/warez sites, I have never been infected (touch wood) - my "skip files" size is set to 5000.

I hope that my rather rambling response answers your question.

Regards,

Spike

OK thanks Spike you are right once again.....

I don't use P2P programs and never use "MySpace, Facebook et al" I have enough trouble trying to remember all the passwords (which are all different) for all the sites I use or need to use let alone these other sites as well!!!

The very best to you and I hope that we chat again but just for chatting not for a problem......

I use Ad-aware 2007, Spybot (but 1.4 NOT 1.5 due to problems with that i.e. things not immunizing or run time errors IMHO 1.5 is a BETA at best NOT a full launch), Spyware Blaster, AVG Anti spy, AVG anti-virus, Diamond CS Wormguard and ZoneAlarm Pro firewall...I also run online scanners with Kaspersky, Pandasoftware (have you tried their Nanoscan? www.nanoscan.com) and Bitdefender.

Best wishes and regards

English Teacher

Sign in to follow this