Sign in to follow this  
JonnyCupra

Problems with Ad-Aware 2007 - Free version

I've had a few problems since upgrading from SE to AdAware 2007.

Firstly, I have on numerous occasions tried to update the definitions file, but have had various error messages or 'server busy' pop ups almost every time... sometimes the "please wait etc...." bar is there for 20 minutes or so - the program is simply "not responding". I actually managed to update the definitions file this morning (on my 3rd attempt) yet it's saying "last update 19/12/2007".

My second problem is scanning. A 'full system' scan with SE used to take between 20-30 minutes. Since upgrading to 2007 several months ago, I've only actually managed to complete one full scan, which took well over an hour! This scan picked up about a dozen MRU things (sorry, means nothing to me!). I guess as it picked them up, they probably shouldn't be there so I removed them.

Since then I've attempted many 'full system' scans and 'smart' scans... after more than an hour it's less than half way on the progress bar. I try to stop & restart the scan & I get the 'this program is not responding' pop up.

I'm running XP and I have McAfee virus software...

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

I did consider upgrading to the "paid for" service, but I can't get the free version to update or run scans. I'm begrudged to pay out for something that probably wont work.

I downloaded the free version via Download.com which redirected me to the Lavasoft website. I uninstalled it and reinstalled directly from the Lavasoft website, but it's made no difference.

Any help or advice much appreciated. :)

Here is the temporary fix that we have come up with for the current update issues.

Win XP

Click Start then run and type or copy and paste the following into the textbox:

"%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\"

Press "Enter"

This should open the Ad-Aware 2007 folder. Locate "settings.aaw", right click the file and select "Delete".

Next run Ad-Aware 2007 when the program opens click "Settings" on the left side of the screen. Click "Read Settings" then click "Save Settings".

This will create a new clean "settings.aaw" file and should allow Ad-Aware 2007 to work properly.

Sadly, any settings you had set will be lost and you will have the default settings. Change your settings back to the way you prefer and click "Save Settings" again.

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

What about for VISTA users? Thanks!

Joanne Fountain

Here is the temporary fix that we have come up with for the current update issues.

Win XP

Click Start then run and type or copy and paste the following into the textbox:

Press "Enter"

This should open the Ad-Aware 2007 folder. Locate "settings.aaw", right click the file and select "Delete".

Next run Ad-Aware 2007 when the program opens click "Settings" on the left side of the screen. Click "Read Settings" then click "Save Settings".

This will create a new clean "settings.aaw" file and should allow Ad-Aware 2007 to work properly.

Sadly, any settings you had set will be lost and you will have the default settings. Change your settings back to the way you prefer and click "Save Settings" again.

Vista

Click Start, then type run in the Start Search box and press enter. In the run box type or copy and paste the following:

explorer "%ProgramData%\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\"

Press "Enter"

This should open the Ad-Aware 2007 folder. Locate settings.aaw, right click the file and select "Delete".

Thanks for the reply re: definition file updates. :) I'll give it a try later...

With regard to scans freezing / program not responding, I found this thread useful... http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?s...amp;#entry68167

The 'skip files larger than...' was not selected, and even if it was it was set to over a million kb!! :o Is that the default setting?! I set it down to 50,000kb (although it says 30,000kb in the other thread) and sucsessfully completed a full system scan in just over 14 minutes :D

However, the scan picked up absolutely nothing... is this because the my definitions file isn't up to date (even though it says it is... but the 'last update' date & time is still showing December last year???) or could my computer be genuinely "clean"? :(

Sign in to follow this