• Announcements

• LS.Andy

Support for other products than adaware, ad block, web protection and Web Companion   05/05/2017

Support for the following products is handled by the Lavasoft support team: Lavasoft Tuneup Kit Lavasoft PC Optimizer Lavasoft Driver Updater Lavasoft Registry Tuner Lavasoft Privacy Toolbox Lavasoft File Shredder Lavasoft Digital Lock

For help with these products, contact the support team here: http://www.lavasoft.com/support/supportcenter/

Sign in to follow this  
thecandyrapper

slow computer...Ad-Aware stalling!

i've been having trouble playing music on my laptop...it will slow down and distort.

whenever i use iTunes, it will send my CPU usage all the way up; even if it is the only application used.

i've quit applications, cleared out my hard drive.

i ran disk-cleanup and defragmented twice.

i've ran Spybot and Windows Defender.

however, when i run Ad-Aware, it stalls out around 150000 and C:/WINDOWS/system32/inetsrv

i opened that folder and found nothing.

this is driving me crazy!!! my laptop hates me :)

please help!

Janice

Hello Janice

Have you ruled out any virus or trojan infections? I would recommend an online scan at one of the following (do a full system scan). The reason for doing an online scan is that some infections will disable your Antivirus installed on your PC to hide it's presence.

If any infections are found, save the log from the scan and post it back here:

eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner

http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx

(if prompted, please *allow* Active X and the install of software - this is needed to scan your system)

It will take a while to download the updates needed, and then you'll be presented with a screen to scan your system.

Ewido free online scanner

http://www.ewido.net/en/onlinescan/

Trend Micro (PC-cillin) - Free on-line Scan

http://housecall.antivirus.com

Panda's Active Scan

http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan.htm

If that doesn't solve the Adaware problem, here is my list of things to try

First, do a disk cleanup to clear the browser cache and other unnecessary files.

Go to Start > Run and type in the box: Cleanmgr

Wait while Windows scans your system for files to delete.

Make sure these 3 are checkmarked and press *ok* to delete them.

Temporary Files

Temporary Internet Files

Recycle Bin

If you are still having a problem, there can be a number of reasons for this issue. Please try these steps next to see if any resolve the problem.

From the Ad-Aware FAQ

Q: Ad-Aware freezes while performing a scan.

A: There are a number of possible reasons behind this problem. To correct:

* First, update to Build 1.06 and download the latest definition file if you have not done so.

* Second, it is highly recommended that you run a disk defragmentation on your computer, then a thorough “Check� or “Scan Disk� depending on your Windows version. Try scanning in safe mode.

* Third, start Ad-Aware scan from the Windows command line. Do as follows:

o Click "Start", then "Run". Next, type the text shown below (including the quotation marks and with the same spacing as shown) for your version of Ad-Aware SE:

"C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Professional\Ad-Aware.exe" /full +procnuke

"C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Plus\Ad-Aware.exe" /full +procnuke

"C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Personal\Ad-Aware.exe" +procnukep

o Click “OK�.

o Note: The path above (between the quotes) is the default location of Ad-Aware SE. If you installed your Ad-Aware to a different directory, adjust the path accordingly. For Ad-Aware SE Personal, when the GUI launches, click “Start�, then “Full System Scan�. Click “Next�, then “OK�.

o When the scan is complete, select “Next�. In the “Scanning Results� window, select the "Scan Summary" tab. Check the box next to each "target family" you wish to remove, then click “Next�, then OK�.

* If you still have problems, cancel before the scan reaches the point of stalling -- for example, after 20 objects are detected. Click “Cancel� on your log file. Remove any objects you want and rescan. Again, stop the scan before it reaches the point of stalling and remove any additional objects. Then try a full scan without stopping it. This should work for you now.

If still no joy, try these steps:

Ad-Aware Freezing Issue

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?s...783&hl=Freezing

One other observation is that certain security software all running at the same time can cause conflicts. A number of Adaware users who also are running the beta version of SpySweeper have reported that disabling SpySweeper during an Adaware scan has resolved that conflict.

To temporarily disable SpySweeper:

Open it click >Options over to the left then >Program Options >Uncheck "load at windows startup".

Over to the left click "shields" and uncheck all there.

Uncheck "home page shield".

Uncheck "automatically restore default without notification".

Reboot your computer and try scanning again with Adaware.

Let us know how you make out on all of the above, or if any of those steps resolve the problem.

thank you CalamityJane!

i ran the Panda scan:

Incident Status Location

Spyware:Cookie/Casalemedia Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\JadeyKoolAid\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\5v4xnt5b.default\cookies.txt[.casalemedia.com/]

Spyware:Cookie/RealMedia Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\JadeyKoolAid\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\5v4xnt5b.default\cookies.txt[.realmedia.com/]

Spyware:Cookie/YieldManager Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\JadeyKoolAid\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\5v4xnt5b.default\cookies.txt[ad.yieldmanager.com/]

Spyware:Cookie/Com.com Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\JadeyKoolAid\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\5v4xnt5b.default\cookies.txt[.com.com/]

Spyware:Cookie/Serving-sys Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\JadeyKoolAid\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\5v4xnt5b.default\cookies.txt[.bs.serving-sys.com/]

Spyware:Cookie/Serving-sys Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\JadeyKoolAid\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\5v4xnt5b.default\cookies.txt[.serving-sys.com/]

Spyware:Cookie/Zedo Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\JadeyKoolAid\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\5v4xnt5b.default\cookies.txt[.zedo.com/]

Spyware:Cookie/Statcounter Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\JadeyKoolAid\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\5v4xnt5b.default\cookies.txt[.statcounter.com/]

Spyware:Cookie/BurstNet Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\JadeyKoolAid\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\5v4xnt5b.default\cookies.txt[.burstnet.com/]

Spyware:Cookie/bravenetA Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\JadeyKoolAid\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\5v4xnt5b.default\cookies.txt[.bravenet.com/]

Spyware:Cookie/BurstBeacon Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\JadeyKoolAid\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\5v4xnt5b.default\cookies.txt[www.burstbeacon.com/]

Spyware:Cookie/WUpd Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\JadeyKoolAid\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\5v4xnt5b.default\cookies.txt[.revenue.net/]

Spyware:Cookie/360i Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\JadeyKoolAid\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\5v4xnt5b.default\cookies.txt[.ct.360i.com/]

Spyware:Cookie/Falkag Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\JadeyKoolAid\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\5v4xnt5b.default\cookies.txt[.as-us.falkag.net/]

Spyware:Cookie/Belnk Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\JadeyKoolAid\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\5v4xnt5b.default\cookies.txt[.belnk.com/]

Spyware:Cookie/Go Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\JadeyKoolAid\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\5v4xnt5b.default\cookies.txt[.go.com/]

Spyware:Cookie/Maxserving Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\JadeyKoolAid\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\5v4xnt5b.default\cookies.txt[.maxserving.com/]

Spyware:Cookie/adultfriendfinder Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\JadeyKoolAid\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\5v4xnt5b.default\cookies.txt[.adultfriendfinder.com/]

Spyware:Cookie/Peel Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\JadeyKoolAid\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\5v4xnt5b.default\cookies.txt[.peel.com/]

Spyware:Cookie/myaffiliateprogram Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\JadeyKoolAid\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\5v4xnt5b.default\cookies.txt[www.myaffiliateprogram.com/]

Spyware:Cookie/myaffiliateprogram Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\JadeyKoolAid\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\5v4xnt5b.default\cookies.txt[.www.myaffiliateprogram.com/]

Spyware:Cookie/myaffiliateprogram Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\JadeyKoolAid\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\5v4xnt5b.default\cookies.txt[www.myaffiliateprogram.com/]

Spyware:Cookie/Atwola Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\JadeyKoolAid\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\5v4xnt5b.default\cookies.txt[.atwola.com/]

Spyware:Cookie/Apmebf Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\JadeyKoolAid\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\5v4xnt5b.default\cookies.txt[.apmebf.com/]

Spyware:Cookie/Adrevolver Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\JadeyKoolAid\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\5v4xnt5b.default\cookies.txt[.adrevolver.com/]

Spyware:Cookie/DomainSponsor Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\JadeyKoolAid\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\5v4xnt5b.default\cookies.txt[landing.domainsponsor.com/]

Spyware:Cookie/Searchportal Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\JadeyKoolAid\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\5v4xnt5b.default\cookies.txt[searchportal.information.com/]

Spyware:Cookie/web-stat Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\JadeyKoolAid\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\5v4xnt5b.default\cookies.txt[www.web-stat.com/]

Spyware:Cookie/YieldManager Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\JadeyKoolAid\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt

Spyware:Cookie/Atwola Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\JadeyKoolAid\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt

Spyware:Cookie/Belnk Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\JadeyKoolAid\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt

Spyware:Cookie/Belnk Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\JadeyKoolAid\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt

Spyware:Cookie/RealMedia Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\JadeyKoolAid\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt

Spyware:Cookie/Statcounter Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\JadeyKoolAid\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt

Potentially unwanted tool:Application/MyWebSearch Not disinfected C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\NPMyWebS.dll

Potentially unwanted tool:Application/MyWebSearch Not disinfected C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\riched20.dll

Potentially unwanted tool:Application/MyWebSearch Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\system32\f3PSSavr.scr

i had a virus that VirusScan picked up and i deleted it...

a weird thing is, many of the other online scanners stalled on me??

however, Ad-Aware is still stalling at c://windows/system32/inetsrv...what gives?!

::sigh::

i've ran disk cleanup and defragemented.

i don't have spysweeper.

i have no objects found before Ad-Aware stalls.

thank you again!

here's my HijackThis logfile:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1

Scan saved at 10:43:40 PM, on 7/9/2006

Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe

C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe

C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe

C:\Program Files\HPQ\HP Wireless Assistant\HP Wireless Assistant.exe

C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\SHSTAT.EXE

C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\UpdaterUI.exe

C:\Program Files\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe

C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinRemote.exe

C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe

C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools\daemon.exe

C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

C:\Program Files\PeerGuardian2\pg2.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe

C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\FrameworkService.exe

C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\mcshield.exe

C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\vstskmgr.exe

C:\Program Files\HPQ\SHARED\HPQWMI.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1135618882\ee\aolsoftware.exe

C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe

C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

C:\Program Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe

C:\DOCUME~1\JADEYK~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\Rar$EX00.156\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.yahoo.com/

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download

O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll

O2 - BHO: Yahoo! IE Services Button - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll

O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll

O3 - Toolbar: HP view - {B2847E28-5D7D-4DEB-8B67-05D28BCF79F5} - C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\HPDTLK02.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [synTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [synTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cpqset] C:\Program Files\HPQ\Default Settings\cpqset.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LSBWatcher] c:\hp\drivers\hplsbwatcher\lsburnwatcher.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpWirelessAssistant] "%ProgramFiles%\HPQ\HP Wireless Assistant\HP Wireless Assistant.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [shStatEXE] "C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\SHSTAT.EXE" /STANDALONE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McAfeeUpdaterUI] "C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\UpdaterUI.exe" /StartedFromRunKey

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WINREMOTE] "C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinRemote.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DAEMON Tools] "C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools\daemon.exe" -lang 1033

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [spybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PeerGuardian] C:\Program Files\PeerGuardian2\pg2.exe

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll

O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_US&c=Q305&bd=pavilion&pf=laptop

O16 - DPF: {14C1B87C-3342-445F-9B5E-365FF330A3AC} (Hewlett-Packard Online Support Services) - http://h20278.www2.hp.com/HPISWeb/Customer...DataManager.CAB

O16 - DPF: {6E5A37BF-FD42-463A-877C-4EB7002E68AE} (Trend Micro ActiveX Scan Agent 6.5) - http://housecall65.trendmicro.com/housecal...ivex/hcImpl.cab

O16 - DPF: {7B297BFD-85E4-4092-B2AF-16A91B2EA103} (WScanCtl Class) - http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/webscan.cab

O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5free/asinst.cab

O16 - DPF: {B8BE5E93-A60C-4D26-A2DC-220313175592} (ZoneIntro Class) - http://cdn2.zone.msn.com/binFramework/v10/...ro.cab34246.cab

O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL

O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll

O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll

O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe

O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe

O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe

O23 - Service: HP WMI Interface (hpqwmi) - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\HPQ\SHARED\HPQWMI.exe

O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe

O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe

O23 - Service: McAfee Framework Service (McAfeeFramework) - Network Associates, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\FrameworkService.exe

O23 - Service: Network Associates McShield (McShield) - Network Associates, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\mcshield.exe

O23 - Service: Network Associates Task Manager (McTaskManager) - Network Associates, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\vstskmgr.exe

You've got an awful lot of Security programs all running realtime protection and that may be causing a conflict. Plus I see two AVs running? AVG & McAfee? Both of those may need to be turned off to do a scan. Also Spybot's teatimer and Windows Defender have realtime protection. All those running at once may be causing slowdowns.

One thing to check - can you reboot to safe mode and scan with Ad-Aware. Is it able to complete a scan in safe mode?

You can usually do this by restarting your computer and continually tapping F8 until a menu appears. Highlight Safe Mode and hit enter.

How to start the computer in Safe mode

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...src=sec_doc_nam

Keep your programs if you like, just don't have them all running realtime protection at startup. So, if Mcafee is your primary AV and you have AVG on board for backup, turn OFF the resident protection in AVG while McAfee is on.

Teatimer might be slowing the computer too, if you have Windows Defender running realtime then turn off teatimer.

Did you try the CHKDISK step in this instruction?:

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?s...783&hl=Freezing

Sign in to follow this