Sign in to follow this  
Moby Duck

Ad-Aware 2007 sluggish after latest downloads

I just downloaded the latest updates for Ad-Aware 2007 (free version) (including language files, I think, and GUI engine). Since then, Ad-Aware takes longer to open, and when I click on the "Update" button, it takes ages until the information box pops up saying that it is searching for updates. And finally, after downloading today's software updates, Ad-Aware crashed. It also crashes when I download the latest definition files. I have to download said files manually to prevent the crashes. I have posted my minidump in another forum, but nothing has been done about it so far.

This version of the program is starting to give me a migraine.

PS: The thing still manages to scan. I'm just wondering for how long, as I am asking myself whether your next update will not kill it off altogether.

Edited by Moby Duck

Yes, I have the same problem. After the splash screen shows "Done" at the bottom, it takes about another 20 seconds before the main screen appears.

I though it was not working - I mean, what programs take 20 seconds to start.

Also what's going on the with the "automatic update" icon on the main staus page ? Sometimes it shows automatic updates are on, and sometimes shows they are off ?? ( This is the free version, so there is nothing on the "scheduler" page)

I loved the old SE program, but I'm getting a bit annoyed with the new 'improved' version.

Yes, it takes ages until the splash screen yields to the actual program. I also wish the old SE program were still there...This new version, as you pointed out, is bug-ridden and flea-bitten.

Edited by Moby Duck

Hi

Yes they have managed to totally screw it up, mine used to load Immediately, now it's taking over 40 seconds :)

Don't they have the sense to try the 'updates' before releasing them, also why the hell do I want to download the french language when I use English, there is a check box to uncheck but they don't work.

Also with this version I got a 'pop up' from my taskbar asking about some C**P about valentines day... if Lavasoft are going to start this kind of 'cowboy' behaviour on their so called 'free' product then they are going to loose people VERY quickly. ONE more pop up and they can go to hell.

True free software does NOT have ads or any garbage like that, I'm using a program to remove adware and the idiots at Lavasoft are now Installing adware.. for gods sake, get a grip.

Yours truly cheesed of with Lavasoft.

Andy :angry: :angry:

Edited by andyslogos

Mine takes about 30 seconds to open...but apart from that: that Valentine's popup really got my goat. I mean, Lavasoft is supposed to be ANTI-popups and ads! I was really annoyed. And language files which you are forced to download...There are, of course, limitations due to the version being free, but the previous free versions didn't have this kind of thing. The bottom line is: this software is still in its beta state. I'll be surfing around to see if there are alternatives in case I have to kick this software from my system. I still have to download the latest definition files manually - if I do it via automatic mode, then the program crashes. And now, after the latest software updates, it also crashed. The date for the latest update is still displayed wrongly...I am really disappointed, and WE are blamed for having computers which are, ah, unique cases...

I think the software is "phoning home" when it starts up (WHY ???)

Yesterday the program was starting up in about 3 seconds - today, it's back to about 20 seconds.

So it's probably some function of how busy the Lavasoft server is.

Maybe someone from Lavasoft could explain why the program has to connect to the internet when it's just the free stand-alone version.

Gentlemen I too have the same experience that you have had, I have resolved to move on to another program. I thought that the SE version was just fine it ran well not problems. I have had nothing but problems since installing your 2007 version. Program opens slowly, computer is slow to boot on start up, full scan was not finished after 6 hours. Short scan was ok. Sorry Lavasoft I think their are some bugs to be worked out. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and return in 6 months to check the progress. 2007 needs some work!!!

Sincerely

Detroit Doug

only way to fix this for now

is UN INSTAL ecerything re install then DONT run software update

i kept all my last versions

i have .26 before valentines crap and hanging splash

i cant even update anymore bc it hangs if i press update

Sign in to follow this