Sign in to follow this  
UserU

Ad Aware 2007 has to improve!

A few years back, i discovered Ad Aware SE through some sites and i downloaded the program because it has many positive comments about it. Yes, it was really good at that time, updates were downloaded without problem, scanning was successful and nothing was broken. It went well until Ad Aware 2007 was released. When i run the program, the problems started to stack up. The whole program was very laggy. The scanning sometimes don't work(after update) and i have to restart it. Full scan takes forever to complete(including updates). At times, after deleting the infections, results stated that nothing has been removed. Sometimes, AA2007 terminates with an error. I have to end the scan just to remove the infections!!! So, to the Lavasoft staffs, you guys gotta repair your product ASAP! Alot of people has been complaining since Ad Aware SE has been replaced. We all love using AA2007 but these problems have to stop. No means to offend but seriously, this product is just plain bad.

;) I have used Ad-aware for years. Then it would not update. After "trying"many times I downloaded the 2007. Now it runs for hours and never finishes. I ran it for six hours yesterday and gave up so ran it ALL NIGHT. It ran for TEN HOURS and never finished. What is my problem. I loved the old version and ran it for years, now this new one will not run.

Hi jervon,

Please open AAW 2007 and select the "Settings" tab. on the "Scanning" tab, under "Scanning Options", select the "Skip files large..." and type in 30000. Then try scanning again. You may have to lower it to eg: 10000 - this is still a safe level.

AAW can sometimes get hung up on large, compressed or possibly corrupted files.

Post back with how you get on.

Regards,

Spike

@UserU

I'm one of the many people who have given up on Adaware. It really saddens me to say it, but it became more trouble than it was worth.

You may be able to find an old version of SE, but you won't get any new def files for it.

Actually SE is out there and the Def files are on the Lavasoft site.

I switched to 2007 and continue to wonder why the dev's did this to us. Windows XP does not like the holes in this program that cause it to be sluggish. If you run it immdediately after a clean startup (disconnected from the wall literally) it runs fine. Tells me there is a programming issue.

For those using Windows 9x you will need the old version until you figure out how to impliment 2007. I did discover-to my dismay-that 2007 requires you to load a "launcher" as part of the Proceesses in STartup or the program will not load at all. This is pure nonsense and a memory hog at worst.

Come up with a better way to impliment the program Lavasoft. Whether it is the FREE version or a paid one should make little or no difference. If that is not workable in your business model then you should seriously consider going commercial only.

Just my 2 cent RANT

Hi jervon,

Please open AAW 2007 and select the "Settings" tab. on the "Scanning" tab, under "Scanning Options", select the "Skip files large..." and type in 30000. Then try scanning again. You may have to lower it to eg: 10000 - this is still a safe level.

Regards,

Spike

;) yup, I had to set it to 10000, now it runs fine. I sure liked the old version. Don't like this one AT ALL.

von

I have to agree with the opening poster of this thread. I paid for Ad Aware 2007 hoping that it would be better then SE Personal Edition; and much to my dismay, I am very disapointed.

So many things are wrong with it.

Current Version: 0052.0000

Last Update: 2/14/2008 12:07:42 AM

Authenticity Verified: X

Threats in detection: 170049

and the D*mn program still says the program and the definitions file are out of date. I Updated with the Web Updater, and I have tried to keep up with the latest definitions; but when i do update it- the D*mn thing still says its all out of date.

I've nearly given up. One would think that for the money one pays for the software, it wouldn't have a problem updating or anything...

If anyone could help, I would appreciate it. If this crap isn't fixed soon, I won't renew my lisence.

Just looked at the settings and found that Scanning set set for files smaller than 1048576kB. There are very few things that would be that large generally (except video). Run time for a scan here is ~25 minutes for a FULL scan. Drive has 60 Gigs total. Interesting thought on lowering the value.

Hi jc836,

I have a 320GB drive with an Intel Core-Duo motherboard - currently 37% full. Current scanning time is around 20 minutes. I have my "skip files" set to 5000, which has chopped a good 5 minutes off my scan time (have quite a few video, music and picture files currently saved to disc).

@ Jadisero

As a licensed user you should be taking advantage of paid Support to sort out your AAW 2007 issues. I acknowledge that the date showing for the latest Defs File is usually out-of-date (a minor glitch) - that said, the Authenticity Verified should always show a green tick/check. Go to "Web Update > Settings" and this is how I have mine set:

AAW2007_Plus_settings_4.gif

If you are experiencing problems in this area, you are entitled to paid Support to resolve your issues.

Regards,

Spike

Just looked at the settings and found that Scanning set set for files smaller than 1048576kB. There are very few things that would be that large generally (except video). Run time for a scan here is ~25 minutes for a FULL scan. Drive has 60 Gigs total. Interesting thought on lowering the value.

Tried lowering the value, but it still hangs! I have sourced a fault, but cannot fix it There is a problem with C:\WINDOWS\$NtUnistallbasecsp$reg00005 How do you fix it as I cannot find any reference to it?

Yes, I have the same problem using 2007 version, particularly I think it is no good to force user to take the Ad-Watch icon on the desktop if we do not want to try it. By the way I am now facing scanning stop even though after I tried to un-install / re-install again, the problem still there. I have just posted this up and waiting for answer.

If the problem still persist eventhough help is given, maybe its time to switch to another antispyware. E.g. like Spybot S&D, A2 free and Spyware Doctor, they are excellent ;). Im having these 3 apps and i have not encountered any errors so far :)

Hi jervon,

Regards,

Spike

I actually tried this as well, but it still gets hung up on the "Scanning files (Conditional)" section. It only takes about 45 mins to get to this point, but then no new progress is done. All of the options on the menu are non responsive except for the close program red "X".

I just registered here so i can say this: Ad-Aware 2007 is ######. Ad-Aware SE Personal was perfect while this so called "modern" version of my trusted Anti-Spyware is just ######. Hell, Most of time. It doesn't even work while Ad-Aware SE worked like a breeze.

I guess its time to dump Ad-Aware 2007 and revert back to Ad-Aware SE. I'll rather get Spybot S&D 1.5 rather than Ad-Aware 2007.

Edited by Raziel v. Nosgoth
vulgarly

I have just read the posts on AdAware 2007 and must agree that this is program is just plain BAD. I have been an AdAware user for many years and loved SE, was thinking of buying paid program but after hearing it is bad also I think it's time to move on. If a fix doesn't come soon, I'm gone.

srgolfer