Sign in to follow this  
chukeej

Update SSL download

Ok I get what your saying Brian but what do I do now that it's in a file that states core 1????? I don't know

about unzipping etc so I need steps on what to do next.

Map

Winzip is best:

http://www.winzip.com/index.htm

After you've unzipped put the file called core.aawdef in:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007

:)

Edited by wesley-nl

Winzip is best:

Clearly there is a problem at Lavasoft.

Update doesn't work for me also but the manual update solution provided by Brian does.

Just make sure you have " show hidden folders" checked in windows so you can see the "application" folder for Lavasoft.

Install the core file [#59] and start scanning!

Winzip is best:

Ok to get win zip I have to buy it. There is no other way of updating without buying

something else. This is crazy.

What do I do with what I have now the in the core 1 file

Map

Ok to get win zip I have to buy it. There is no other way of updating without buying

Map

Nothing.

Update is working now.

Map

Winzip is a popular piece of software, you may need it for many things so it's worth it. If you don't want to buy Winzip then you'll just have to wait until Lavasoft have sorted out the problem.

Winzip is a popular piece of software, you may need it for many things so it's worth it. If you don't want to buy Winzip then you'll just have to wait until Lavasoft have sorted out the problem.

1) let me add myself to the fast growing list of people who have been using Ad-Aware, then SE, then 2007 -- been using lavasoft for 4-5 yrs or so -- never having a single problem and now suddenly can't update

I believe that I might be able to relate the onset of the problem to after I downloaded & installed the latest windows updates that you are prompted for in the tray w/ the little shield icon, don't know that for sure

2) there is a windows unzip/extract wizard that should launch auto, it should be a std part of your o/s, click extract & browse for the folder to open into, but if you don't have unzip capability already loaded I agree w/ the above that winzip or equiv is a tool everybody should have

3) I went to IE tools - internet options - security tab - trusted sites - sites --- unchecked the require server verification box --- and added http//:www.lavasoft.com and http//:www.lavasoftusa.com

I think that may do it, we'll see next time I need updates, right now I'm current because I used the link & install folder above,- thanks for that info

Definition updates worked today. Apparently it was a server problem at Lavasoft.

The confusion and all the wasted time on this subject could have been avoided with a clear, rational error message.

E.g: "server too busy", etc.

Instead they used a highly technical error message about "ssl download failed" (Secure Sockets Layer).

The problem of poorly-worded error messages has long been discussed in the software industry:

http://www.writersua.com/articles/message/index.html

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/web/libr...ust6/index.html

I want to thank Brian29 for providing the key to the correct solution (see above, post #20. I unzipped the zip file for the fourth time, this time to the folder in Application Data, not Program files, and it now shows version 59.0000 when I open Ad-Aware. It also shows the last update as still being on the 6th of March, but that doesn't bother me.

I'd also like to let out a big razberry to Aaron_snipes. Unless you're a representative of Lavasoft, which I don't think you are, you're just another newbie and not entitled to boss other newbies around, so you're cordially welcome to bug off. I happen to have a lot of experience in quality control and I know my way around a computer pretty well, but I don't necessarily know my way around a user forum, nor, obviously, do you.

Some other observations:

-- Sambacee is correct that most Win XP users should have a built-in utility that unzips zip files without having to have another program such as Winzip. Easiest way to use it in this case is to right-click on the .zip file, select "Extract All," and in the wizard that opens, first click "Next," then on the next wizard page, click "browse" and browse to the correct folder as described in post #20 of this thread. After you click "Next" again, and the extraction begins, you may get a message telling you there is an existing file with the same name, and asking if you want to replace it. If so, click "Yes." Then re-open Ad-Aware 2007, and the new definitions file number should now show.

-- If for some reason you don't have the built-in Windows utility, Tugzip is, as best as I can see, just about as good a zip/unzip utility as Winzip, and it's free. It can be downloaded from www.tugzip.com and I think you may like it a lot even if you do have the built-in utiility.

-- Sambacee is probably also correct that it's a good idea to add lavasoft.com and lavasoftusa.com to your Trusted Zone in Internet Explorer*. I'm going to try that before my next reboot. As far as I know (please don't slam me if I'm wrong on this) you can then recheck the "require server verification" box without causing any problems.

*(unless that's not your default browser, in which case you'd probably also have a lot of other problems with a lot of programs, but let's not go there now...)

Actually I'm still having the same difficulties: I too am having difficulty. I tried last evening to update through the program in every conceivable way, no luck. I uninstalled and reinstalled the program this morning and upon startup the program states that there are updates available. I click ok, it then says that there are program updates, do I want to be taken to update location I say yes the download manager opens showing updates, I click download and the program crashes everytime. Don't know what is up but there are obviously serious difficulties at this time.

Randal

Update Manager still crashing upon trying to update program files after installation. Under that window is the same old "SSL Download Failure" window

I'm glad that some lucky few were able to get thru today, but I am still mired in the muck with the rest of us poor users. Hopefully, it shows that Lavasoft really is trying to get us over the glitch, and back to smooth running...

It is working for some and not for others. We seem to have a number of threads going on this same issue. I have reported it and will report back with any solutions to this topic:

Cannot Check for Definitions Updates

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=16870

Please follow that topic for any further updates on the issue if you are one of those still having the problem and I'll close this one so we don't have duplicate topics on the same subject :)

We'll make that one the "official" thread so you can follow it.