Sign in to follow this  
dsweiner

Update

Just installed Ad-Aware 2007. Attempted to update definition files and it keeps failing with the error message "SSL DOWNLOAD FAILED" use Webupdate. Tried that and received the same error message.

Can someone please help?

Just installed Ad-Aware 2007. Attempted to update definition files and it keeps failing with the error message "SSL DOWNLOAD FAILED" use Webupdate. Tried that and received the same error message.

Can someone please help?

I am having the same problem since early morning - it is now 3PM and no change here. I even tried to load the updates from the site with no success. There seems to be a problem at Lavasoft. However, I didn't just install Adaware 2007 - I was just trying to update my existing application which has been working fine.

Edited by JohnBurns

Welcome to the Lavasoft Support Forum

The Error message "SSL download failed" is caused by Ad-Aware 2007 not getting access to the Internet.

First of all, make sure that your system is connected to the Internet.

If you are using a proxy server, make sure to configure the Ad-Aware WebUpdate settings. In Ad-Aware 2007->WebUpdate->Proxy settings.

Save the new settings and try a webupdate again.

If you still have problems, try this:

• Turn off all security software like Firewalls (check your router firewall as well) and any Antivirus programs.
  • Restart Ad-Aware and try to do a webupdate if you haven't activated the automatic update.

If you do not get an error message, configure your security software to grant Ad-Aware 2007 network access, before turning them on again

Regards,

SpySentinel

Welcome to the Lavasoft Support Forum

The Error message "SSL download failed" is caused by Ad-Aware 2007 not getting access to the Internet.

First of all, make sure that your system is connected to the Internet.

If you are using a proxy server, make sure to configure the Ad-Aware WebUpdate settings. In Ad-Aware 2007->WebUpdate->Proxy settings.

Save the new settings and try a webupdate again.

If you still have problems, try this:

• Turn off all security software like Firewalls (check your router firewall as well) and any Antivirus programs.
  • Restart Ad-Aware and try to do a webupdate if you haven't activated the automatic update.

If you do not get an error message, configure your security software to grant Ad-Aware 2007 network access, before turning them on again

Regards,

SpySentinel

So I see we are just going to stick with that lame answer spysentinel?

I find it quite funny that a program people are downloading and many paying for, that is used to remove nasties off our system would require us to drop our firewalls to update it... How about a port number to open instead of going full blown naked!

I have used Ad-Aware since the start of the program and must say this 2007 version is a joke... it's bloated, scans about as fast as a Pentium II (sorry for the cut down Pentium) and I run a core 2 duo wolfdale 3.0Ghz and I might as well start a puzzle because this scan is still going to take forever... Oh maybe it won't... ... It won't UPDATE NEW DEFS,

Regards,

(mod edit: Edited for Content, WATCH YOUR POSTS!! ~ SpySentinel)

Edited by SpySentinel
Edited for Content, watch your posts!

I am having the same problem since early morning - it is now 3PM and no change here. I even tried to load the updates from the site with no success. There seems to be a problem at Lavasoft. However, I didn't just install Adaware 2007 - I was just trying to update my existing application which has been working fine.

same here...please help...

Ok, I just turned off my firewall, am NOT running a proxy server...have a internet connection since posting here proves that and still get the same error message.

I am experiencing the same problem. I too turned off my firewall as directed, am not using a proxy and obviously have an internet connection. Neither update method worked and gave the same failure. I also tried to manually update by downloading the core file and extracting it to my lavasoft/adaware 2007 folder. The program is supposed to update itself with any of these files in this folder on startup. My program is not doing this as the def files still indicate definition number 45???

Hopefully someone can figure this out? :rolleyes:

Experiencing the same problem. Nothing on my system has changed in the past 24 hours and it worked last night.

Uninstalled and reinstalled my client and it's still happening. Seeing so many others getting it on the same day makes me think that it may be a server error or something else on Lavasoft's end.

Now to read through the pages here to see if there has been a solution in the past day.

Another user experiencing the same problem. 'SSL download failed' error message for the past couple of days. Before coming to this forum I tried uninstalling and re-installing but I got the same error. Currently I am using the manually downloaded definition file version 59. I am using Windows XP Home SP2 with AVG Pro 7.5 A/V and ZoneAlarm free for the firewall. I turned them off briefly but still received the error message. I tried removing aawservice from the list of programs allowed permission to access the internet and tried again. ZoneAlarm recognised the fresh access request but, when permission was given again, I received the same error message. I conclude from this the request for the definition update is being sent but not being responded to correctly by Lavasoft.

Lavasoft would have you believe, to quote, 'The Error message "SSL download failed" is caused by Ad-Aware 2007 not getting access to the Internet'. This is clearly not the case, as proven above, so why would so many users of the service experience the identical problem at the same time when nothing else had changed? There is a problem at Lavasoft and they are not currently addressing it.

Roger.

We assure you, that we, as well as the LS Staff are working on this problem

It is working for some and not for others. We seem to have a number of threads going on this same issue. I have reported it and will report back with any solutions to this topic:

Cannot Check for Definitions Updates

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=16870

Please follow that topic for any further updates on the issue if you are one of those still having the problem and I'll close this one so we don't have duplicate topics on the same subject ;)