Sign in to follow this  
ColTom2

Cannot Check for Definitions Updates

hi , i have sleep apneia and only sleep about 2-3 hours at a time have tried some of these fixes but will go back to page 1 and start again if i can get it to download at all as i am still getting the fatal error at the end about 85% on the bar over on cnet note i am persistant, hard headed and have tried about 12 times so far at least but i will keep on plugging away at it and thanks again any suggestions????

Hi again,

To report back, it is not a problem within the program.

Some of the update servers were down yesterday which should now be working. With so many trying to update it also increases the traffic to the servers and makes the download sometimes fail. If you are having a problem getting the update just wait a bit a try again later.

After repeated attempts to update the def files and the log showing: Definition file found; Download Failed. I had checked the firewall and it is configured for both inbound and outbound AAW. The other stuff, about the "core" etc is beyond my computer comprehension. As one last effort at 3:15 today Eastern US) I tried one more time and BINGO, it found the definition file and said it was updating. Following what was a successful def update (as indicated by AAW), I checked the status window and the last update was indicated as of the time I noted. It was update 60.000. I'll be looking forward to my next update attempt. This has taken two days. (I uninstalled and re-installed three times, once when a RED X appeated beside the authentication box).

Edited by Honchosan

It's going to have some varying rates of failures right now because of the number of people all trying to download updates. If you get the error, just wait a bit and try again later when it is less busy (it is even more so today because another update came out this morning (0060). There is nothing wrong with your program and it isn't your firewall or AV either.

It's going to have some varying rates of failures right now because of the number of people all trying to download updates. If you get the error, just wait a bit and try again later when it is less busy (it is even more so today because another update came out this morning (0060). There is nothing wrong with your program and it isn't your firewall or AV either.

hi. new here, sorry for poor english. to me this new version of AAW seems very strange after having used AAW SE for several years.

- i failed to find some language files ( although promised in the helpfile ) on the lavasoft website....someone has a link ???

- i downloaded (manually) the update file from the lavasoft website, unzipped it as described, started AAW .... and nothing happened (i.e. definition file is the same as before).

- i think that this version is (censored) !

--- if it runs, DO NOT TRY TO FIX IT ---

Like stated above, the update problem is being addressed by the Lavasoft Team, and we will keep you up-to-date.

Sorry I replied on page two :wacko:

I have had this problem just start last couple of days

I tried disabling firewall and anti virus but still could not get definition updates (SSL Download failed)

I have tried off and on today with firewall and antivirus enabled

I have had hit and miss results,sometimes I can get through and other times not

I did get a notice come up from Kaspersky anti virus saying SERVER IS BUSY

Have just tried again (5.40PM Australian eastern daylight saving 12/03/08) and everything went ok

Ok I just had a Windows update downloaded

I tried to download Ad Aware 7 definition files and was successfull every time :):D:D

Downloaded latest difinitions just now after three tries( Everything enabled)

13/03/08 10.35AM AESDST

I want to extend my thanks to Calamity Jane for all of her assistance in this matter. I am now up and running. As a free edition user I am thankful to both Lavasoft, and it's volunteers in making this program available, and in correcting issues like these. I have noticed that many users become quite irritated when issues occure, and it comes through loud and clear in their posts. I think that we all should be appreciative of all the effort, time and money put into providing this critical resource for those of us who cannot afford to pay for a program like this. Thanks again Lavasoft, and Calamity Jane.

Randal

Thanks for the kind comments. It was really just a updates server problem compounded by so many trying to get updates over and over. As the dust begins to settle more and more of you should be now getting updates.

That is, if your program was working okay before a couple of days ago. Some of these multiple topics are bringing in those with the same error message but due to a different problem.

Anyway, for those that this has been plaguing now for the past couple of days, you be able to get the updates to work, you just may have to keep trying.

ColTom2 the same query of SSL FAILED CHECK WEB UPDATE happened on my CPUs. I received my FREE Ad-Aware 2007 Final Product from the Office of Information Technology at Ohio University, ATHENS, USA. Your question was posed to these kind and professional folks who have been most helpful to me as a non-traditional novice user since 2003 when first career of 25 years retired and second career begun working toward earning second doctorate in college of education.

I rely upon Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 in good faith and most often find the "SERVER IS NOT ONLINE" or my McAfee SPYWARE Virus Removal Disc needs run on my CPUs to cleanse the system of variants, trojans, and other corruptions interfering with protocol of LAVASOFT. My point collaborated with the OIT at the education institution involves a good compatibility with McAfee SPYWARE and LAVASOFT Ad-Aware 2007 which is but one example of product compatibility.

Long Days Pleasant Nights with BEST OF HEALTH to you and your family always,

primitive cool

*I had the same problem for several days until help was sought from my Office of Information Technology who promotes Lavasoft products.

hi its me again the info is seems good but i am still getting the fatal error when i try to reinstall i now have tried 7 more times also i do have 3 of the failures in folders here on my computer plus 1 that i am not sure how to open and run i have tried at different times and download speeds from 5KB's to 24KB's and i am still unable to get the install completed it seems like the problem is near the end of the install? its the 3rd or 4th dialog panel/window where the problem is i will gladly email these failures to you but they are 20.3mb and you show that it can only be 20mb and yahoo has a max of 10mb for attachments i liked how it worked and the ease of use and would like to get it back should i try a restore to reset everything??? any advice and help is appericated by this novice i did notice one thing that when the download says complete and the verify starts there is 1sec (20.3mb of 20.3mb) and the 5 green squares/dots/bars do not stop for over 1/2 an hour this seemed to happen at each fatal error the 1sec thing

Hi:

Apparently Lavasoft has fixed this problem, as now I have been able to update the Definitions on both my desktop and laptop.

Hopefully all of you that have been unable too now can update your Definitions.

ok,,, its been going on for some time.

i un-installed it and made sure it was completly out of my pc, including my regestry.

its lavasoft website thats the problem.

one moment ad-aware 2007 can check for up-date and the next moment it cant.

you have to click on the update button and then the webupdate button ,over ,and over ,and over,

and over again until it excepts it and does it ,,,how stupid.

trust me thats what it s ,,,,i dis-abled my firewall, windows firewall, antivirus and all other protection software.

i still have to press the update button over, and over , and over in order for it to do what i want it to do.

i have DSL and is always connected and no its not my DSL box,

because i called verizon and we checked it together.

but hey people dont give up ok,,,,, it takes awhile and hopefully they will have a newer version of ad-aware 2007 and fix the servers.

Hi:

Apparently Lavasoft has fixed this problem, as now I have been able to update the Definitions on both my desktop and laptop.

Hopefully all of you that have been unable too now can update your Definitions.

Not fixed yet. Got the same error this am and I am connected to the internet.

I never had this with the older version and I had it for years..

I was going to say great job Calamity for fixing this problem this morning but I got (I think now I am unsure :unsure: ) This topic is closed :(

I have had no problems downloading definitions and update to latest Ad aware 7

Pat yourself on the back for this :)

Not fixed yet. Got the same error this am and I am connected to the internet.

I never had this with the older version and I had it for years..

Maybe if you download definitions late at night when there is less traffic ?????????

Good & free are two words that don't often appear together in many things in life. So I would like to thank the Lavasoft team for their hard (and oftentimes unappreciated) work.

My AAW2007 had the same issues but I had no problems manually patching it, and the update works fine as of today. FYI, I'm running XP64 with Avast! On Access scanner. XP security center is disabled.

To those facing problems, hopefully you can resolve it, because in my years of using AAW, I haven't found a better free product yet. Of course, I'm also using Bazooka, Spywareblaster, and Spybot S&D.

Thanks Lavasoft!

Good & free are two words that don't often appear together in many things in life. So I would like to thank the Lavasoft team for their hard (and oftentimes unappreciated) work.

My AAW2007 had the same issues but I had no problems manually patching it, and the update works fine as of today. FYI, I'm running XP64 with Avast! On Access scanner. XP security center is disabled.

To those facing problems, hopefully you can resolve it, because in my years of using AAW, I haven't found a better free product yet. Of course, I'm also using Bazooka, Spywareblaster, and Spybot S&D.

Thanks Lavasoft!

Hello,

i found the Update Problem.

Its under Web Update -> Settings.

You must only turn off the Proxy.

He is set to url -> proxyAdress.com and Port 1234.

I have up-to-date my definition now :)

FG Martin

Hello Milbret,

I'm glad you brought that up, because that is a still a known issue (part of our Ad-Aware 2007 FAQ) here:

http://www.lavasoft.com/support/faq_aaw2007.php#11

I get an error message "SSL download failed". How do I resolve this issue?

The Error message "SSL download failed" is caused by Ad-Aware 2007 not getting access to the Internet.

First of all, make sure that your system is connected to the Internet.

If you are using a proxy server, make sure to configure the Ad-Aware WebUpdate settings. In Ad-Aware 2007->WebUpdate->Proxy settings.

Save the new settings and try a webupdate again.

If you still have problems, try this:

* Turn off all security software like Firewalls (check your router firewall as well) and any Antivirus programs.

* Restart Ad-Aware and try to do a webupdate if you haven't activated the automatic update.

If you do not get an error message, configure your security software to grant Ad-Aware 2007 network access, before turning them on again.

However, this topic was started when users were getting that error message and it was not due to any of the above.

That proxy option is *off* by default so I do not quite understand how yours got turned on?

For those having a problem with updating Ad-Aware, please check this new topic:

Workaround for Updates Crashing Ad-Aware

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=17105

I'm going to close this topic now because there are too many different discussions going on in this one thread. If you find that the above workaround does not resolve your question, please feel free to start a new topic. ;)